Left arm and leg numb and tingly.

Posted , 24 users are following.

Hi I am new to this groupsmile  I hope you are all having a good daysmile

I am after some reassurance (aren't we all!) For the last 24hrs I have been suffering with numbness in my left arm/hand and leg, aching, tingly and cold hand. I also get a weird semsation of like bubbles popping in my leg (best way I can describe it) -anyone else had this? I suffer with anxiety but it seems to of gone up another level recently, more to do with my health. I went to the doctors about it today and he checked me over, said he was not worried about it being anything serious and that 'some people get it'.  I said what about anxiety and he said that could be a possiblity- and that was it! I came away feeling no more the wiser and frustrated that my anxiety does not seem to be being picked up on as I have mentioned it a couple of times previously. It seems to be one thing after another at the mo and i am really struggling with the way my anxiety is taking over me - I hate it and I do not want to be like this.  Does anyone have any reccomendations of books, Utube, on anxiety?  I need reassurance and lots of it! Thank you in advance smile

2 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Paula, so sorry you feel unwell, but it does sound the same as alot of us here get, myself included and it is down to anxiety. My doctor was very vague with me for over a year and i got worse and worse until eventually convincing myself i was seriously ill, until eventually i had to see another doctor and he referred me for therapy... I wish i had known some of the things the therapist has taught me before it all got so bad! I am also taking medication now, which i asked my doctor for... I think she was just hoping things would improve for me without the need for therapy or pills, but they were not going to.... They are now! I have also learnt that our hormones can play a big part in our anxiety levels, so all is not lost. If you feel that your GP is not listening to you, go to him or her and tell them what you want, sometimes you have to be a little more pushy ... Hope this helps, private message me if you want more details or dont want to say stuff here xx
    • Posted

Thank you Tracie for your kindness, I feel like a different person at the moment I am trying to be logical about it all but my logic has gone out the windowsad I have just enquired about therapy at the local counselling centre, I will have to pay but I can not wait for the doctor( or a waiting list I suspect) I need to get some control back! I am glad to hear you are on the right track now and long may it continuesmile
    • Posted

so just a question i have a numbing feeling with a little.tingling on my left side that comes and goes.. is that normal.for people with anxiety?
  • Posted

Call the NHS 111 number and seek medical advice
  • Posted

There are many books to help with anxiety problems, reading about the physical manifestations, and the causes may help some, but it's up to you to completely accept the fact that you have a habit.

It sounds simple, but it's difficult to stop these habits, these manifistations that come to life because our minds are bluffing our bodies. If you believe they will come, and so many believe, so they do come.

They become a part of our lives, as does the daily activities we do, and take for granted. These feelings are so well known, they become part of us, we expect them, so they come at our command.

Conditioning can be changed, habits can be controlled, here's the big "if" we accept, and recondition either through therapy, or meds, or just accepting we are in the throws of a habitual phenomenon that we gave life to.

I relaize how difficult this can be, I went through some tough times, but now I keep thinking about the scene in the first Frankenstein movie, where doctor Frankenstein yells, "it's alive, it's alive", time to short circuit the monster.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response, I totally get what you are saying and it makes does sense to me.  Thinking about it I am not sure if reading about anxiety is this best thing, no doubt I will find another 100 symptoms just by reading it! I always assumed anxiety went on only as long as you felt anxious and would stop just like that.  The feeling in my arm and leg I have had for over 24hrs (though better thatn yday now) and I suppose its a vicious circle as I am worrying about it which will prob only prolong it anyway.  Thank you again smile
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your response, I totally get what you are saying and it makes does sense to me.  Thinking about it I am not sure if reading about anxiety is this best thing, no doubt I will find another 100 symptoms just by reading it! I always assumed anxiety went on only as long as you felt anxious and would stop just like that.  The feeling in my arm and leg I have had for over 24hrs (though better thatn yday now) and I suppose its a vicious circle as I am worrying about it which will prob only prolong it anyway.  Thank you again smile
    • Posted

I just want to thank you for writing this. A couple of months ago I started having panic attacks because of some health issues I've been having. From there it snowballed into full blown hypochondria. I have been thinking I have anything and everything. It's like I have all these diseases stored away in my subconscious and now they're manifesting into real symptoms. I've been telling myself that that's all it is, but haven't been able to quite convince myself, cause what do I really know? Until just now, I googled arm/leg numbness/tingling, and luckily this thread is the first thing I clicked on. As soon as I read what you wrote, I could literally feel my chest expand, and I could breath a little more freely. I know it will probably be some work, but at least I now understand what's going on.
    • Posted

I know this was years ago, but was curious whether you found out definitively whether the tingling in arms, legs etc was indeed caused by anxiety, or something else?

I suffer from the exact same type of anxiety, if I have a health issue that I can't explain, my anxiety turns into full blown panic attack, and I assume I'm dying (funny, but not when you're inside that type of mind lol)

Anyways was just curious because I've had tingling and slight numbness in legs (mostly left) and armed and hands for a couple weeks on and off.

• Posted

I get the same thing. Left arm and left leg numb hollow felling. Usually when I'm also having dizzy weard spells. And then felling very tired. Had a doctor tell me it could be anxiety. That was a couple of years ago now. I didn't lesson to him thought he was just guessing because he had no idea what was wrong with me cause after meany blood tests that came back clear. I got the arm and leg thing right now, after following the dizzy tired spell I had about an hour ago. That's how I got here, I was searching for answers. Sounds like it could be a common thing. 

• Posted

Confused by your doctors response. What tests did he run? I want to say its part of a panic attack as so many people including myself have had this and get this but until you have a cardiologist examine you i cant. If you had a cardio exam and you need one otherise..then i would say to go through healing medations and see what you like off the internet. I would say to start some form of exercise and drink lots of water and go on a heart smart diet as they are very well balanced. No soda, no caffiene. Two handful of cashews a day i have rcently ready produce some reaction in your body similiar to prozac, im sure not the same but the article noted similiar. Basil feesh chopped up about one forth a cup releases a chemical that is calming and aids in lowering blood pressure. Maybe pinterest can help you find all that you need for calming down, healing, diets..very useful
  • Edited

Hey there I a guy of 27 years of age, never had medical problems or allergies that I know. About 2 months ago on a Friday (middle of May '16) it all started with a sensation of numbness on my left arm, but only from the elbow to the tip of my fingers. I wasn't paying too much attention because I thought it would go away, well 10 munutes later I was sitting down eating dinner and all of the sudden the same section of my left arm was more numb but this time I was also shaking a little and I felt anxiety, a lot. I felt weak and decided to go to the ER, when I got there that feeling went away, I would say a good hour had passed by, the nurse told me if I had pain, there wasn't. I had to leave the ER because I wasn't a priority to them and because I was feeeling good.

The next day Saturday I was feeling a kind of dizziness that would come and go and would end with a feeling of anxiety, this stopped Sunday afternoon. By Monday I had a headache like if I was having fever and then I went to a Baylor medical clinic here in Dallas where they checked my pressure and told me that everything seemed fine, but they thought I had a fluid betweeen my left ear and mouth, they gave me 6 pills, for 6 days, the feeling went away a little, but the anxiety was there a little. for 2 weeks I felt good and then as I was sleeping one night vetigo kicked in and I got worried, the next day I went to another medical clinic and told me that I might have an inner ear infection, this time they prescribed me some steroids pills (that i have heard are really bad for you and can actually do you some harm) and some of the other pills that I took before but stronger, the vertigo did went away since 2 days ago but I now have a mild numbdness with tingling sensation on the left side of my body, mainly the arm, leg and head. Yesterday I went with someone that works with magnetic rocks and told me that he had find out a an infection on my ear but not to worry because this was only for a few days, he told me to not eat Chicken for at least 2 weeks because that contributes to the dizziness and vertigo. He however cleaned my inner ear with a candle and removed a lot of ear wax that looked all brownish, (I don't know if it's a Mexican home remedy or a widely used one, but I felt good) Now I'm just worried about the tingling sensation but it seems to be dissapearing. I also went with a chiropractor but I think it didn't helped a lot. If this continues I am thinking in doing an MRI or something to see If I have a pinched nerve that might be causing all of this. Can you or someone else have more info if you are recovered from this? Thanks in advance.

• Posted

Hi Marlon

How did treatment go in the end. After reading through this thread, your post is one that My symptoms seem to be mirroring the most. Wasn't aware anxiety could cause all these symptoms, from the nimbleness/tingling, dizzy spells, headache/fever etc

The cleaning of the ears sounds like something I might give a try. Both my ears seem like they're blocked somehow and I'm not getting full sound. If that makes sense

I did not know that about chicken. That's usually my go to meal but will cut back on that and see if that helps

Did you get an MRI and if so what did the results show?

Sorry for the irratic message I've also been feeling rather confused and my heads been all over the place trying to fathem how to write this. I'm not usually this skittish

• Edited

Hello Marlon.

I've been having the same symptoms for a couple of weeks now, on and off. Left side numbness, tinglyness and fatigue. Also lots of anxiety, fear and negative emotions. I would feel even worse if my father hadn't gone through the same in his youth. I'm 23 btw. He told me about his experiences when I had my first panic attack while I was on the phone with him. He called it vegetative dystonia. Back in the day during his 20's, he experienced heavy panic attacks and all the symptoms I'm experiencing right now. Professionals shooed him away after examinations, all tests came back negative. This did not convince him that he was in full health. He actually moved close to a hospital in case the panic attacks came over him again. Anyway, he's 55 years old now alive and kicking. So the point is if you're having the same thing as us then you're just gonna have to tough it out. I find that knowing it's just your brain messing with you and that no one has died from this condition helps with coping with the panic attacks and the continuous symptoms. Try meditating to be more aware. This will help you to remember that you are not actually having a heart attack. Stressing about the symptoms is not going to help.

Get back to me with info on how you're feeling now and if you've found remedies.

• Edited

Same thing has been happening to me. I've had anxiety for the first time when I was 14 it lasted maybe a week then went away. It came back when I was 23 when I was driving in the highway and a 18 wheeler almost hit me. I tired to get back on to get rid of my fear but I would just get back off. My anxiety slowly went away but I still to this day won't drive on the highway. Now that I'm 27 my left arm to my fingers have been feeling really numb. I wasn't sure if it's from carpal tunnel because it comes and goes. But I also just have been having numbness and tingling in my left lower leg to my foot which also comes and goes when I think about it. I honestly think it's my anxiety taking over because once I calm down it goes away temporarily. I hate this feeling. I have a 2 year old daughter and I try not to let this take over my life or stop me from doing things with her. It sucks because at night I start to think about a lot of things and my anxiety it through the roof. I start to feel cold shakey fatigue. I've decided to change my diet and exercise more often. Hopefully it will get better

• Edited

Wow this sounds like me, I have the exact same symptoms and have had them on and off for months now, aches and tingerling/numbness in hand and foot aswel as a sharp achey pain in arm and lower leg all left side, I drive my self mad by sitting on google and freaking myself out thinking there's something serious wrong and like you not going to be able to bring up my two year old son. I was told I suffer from health anxiety last year I'm now having counselling and have been for 3 months helps a little it's just so hard cos the pain and symptoms are here, and on google all lead to bad stuff! My counsellor told me something that helps someone who's suffering depression who can hear voices talking to them, although them voices aren't real to that person there heared and are, so like us with anxiety the pains and symptoms are there but we're concentrating and overthinking, googling coming up with conclusion it's our mind playing games and making thenpains worse. I sometimes sit and remember her saying this but at other times I freak out and google and come up with self diagnosis, it's alfull I just want all these pains to go and go back to how I was. How r u feeling now?

• Posted

I suffer from severe health anxiety and I also have a three-year-old son lately my arms have felt numb and weak and I also thought it was something to do with carpal tunnel I went to my doctor yesterday and had some blood work done I'm really tired of it ruining my life I feel like I've been hit by a bus most days when I wake up and I want to be 100% for my son but because I'm suffering he suffering as well

• Edited

I do the same thing so many doctors have told me not to Google symptoms but I do and then it's like I'm diagnosing myself like I'm the doctor I swear I could be a doctor because of all I know because that Google so many things and I don't know why I do it because I feel worse every time I do it's like I'm trying to find reassurance from looking online but it doesn't help because it always says the worst-case scenario

• Posted

That sounds like me google makes it worse and comes up with my worse possible fear the c word... I work myself up so much... hope ur results come back normal Hun, I'm sure they will and it's just anxiety... what did ur doc say? I'm getting sharp pains in my toes now not so much tingerling anymore it's crazy how it can go from different types of pain...I'm tying my best not to google and to jus remember it's my anxiety like everyone tells me but finding it difficult.. wahh... that's the same as me I feel it's affecting my son too where I'm always worried stressed anxious checking my body

• Posted

I have your identical symptoms exactly. It's comforting to me to think that maybe it's just from anxiety. I kept reading scary alternatives like MS, other auto immune disorders etc.

Epsom salt baths for 30 minutes really help me calm down, and the magnesium helps calm down muscles before bed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.