Left Breast is sore

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am concerned because my left breast has been hurting for the last week. The veins are very pronounced and sore to touch. My nipple burns are times...this evening I was looking in the mirror and my left breast veins are really dark and I'm not sure why...do any of you have an idea as to why it so sore? Only my left breast....

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You may have an infection in your breast. If you are thinking the big C then its more likely not to be, breast cancer is usually painless in the early stages. You really need to see a doctor for reassurance and possiby some antibiotics.  You dont say how old you are but if you are approaching or in the menopause it could be hormonal chages. Do see your doctor or practice nurse.
    • Posted

I am 51 and I have been taking estrogen for a year now ...I started menopause earlier in my 40's but this past year started taking estrogen. I am scheduled this Friday for a mammogram, which is my yearly exam screening. Will they be able to tell if it's an infection via the mammogram or do I need my primary dr to send over for a diagnostics test?

• Posted

A mammogram does not necessarily identify between cancer or an infection. It just shows any abnormal changes. Do tell the technician that you have a sore and burning breast. A mammogram is always uncomfortable and you may need some careful handling.  You should really see your doctor as well. Infections are cleared up by antibiotics,but other abnormalities are not. Are you in UK?
    • Posted

Thank you Marina Dee, I am not in the U.K. ....I am in the USA. I spoke with my dr yesterday and he sent an order to the Breast Center requesting a diagnostic test along with the mammogram and X-rays. Yes, I am extremely sore.....and I will inform them as they manhandle you putting them in the machine....thank you so much for your response. 
    • Posted

Just an update....went to the breast center today for a mammogram and ultrasound and they determined that it is not an infection nor cancer but it is actually hormonal related due to taking estrogen for menopause. Unfortunately I have fibrocystic breast and the estrogen will cause more cyst and more tenderness and they recommend vitamin e to help eliminate some of it but as long as I take estrogen for menopause I will be this way. I have tried black cohosh for the menopause symptoms but that never worked after taking it for months,so the dr decided to put me on estrogen. 
  • Posted

Well done Rhonda you have done all the right things.  I would never recommend Black Cohosh . Try taking Evening Primrose Oil capsules.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.