Left ear hurts when sleeping on right side?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all, I have a weird problem that's been present for at least a couple of years. When I sleep on my right side, my left ear (it's in the air/facing up) gets a weird sensation and eventually a deep ache. The pain is in the middle/inner ear. I've searched and I've seen no one have the same problem as I do. If I accidentally fall asleep on that side, I wake up with pain so bad it could make me cry. Any idea on what this could be or similar experiences? I feel alone and I'm worried it's something serious. (Don't worry, I'm seeing an ENT doctor in the morning, I'd just like to know I'm not alone!) Thanks a bunch! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Do you swim? Are you exposed to wayer in that ear?
    • Posted

Sorry for the late response, I only swim a couple of times during the summer months and that's it. I am well familiar with swimmer's ear, I used to get it all the time when I was younger sad I brought my problem up to my ENT and he just went, "Huh, that's weird." Not at all helpful x(

Hopefully when I return for a follow up in a month we can discuss more of this pain... I do have TMJ problems but the ear pain has been going on for years longer than the jaw stuff. Thanks for your response. 

• Posted

Hi, Did you get any answers to your problem? I also get this with the ear that is facing the room when I am asleep, but have yet to see the GP about it.
    • Posted

Nope, my ENT doctor still just goes "huh, that's weird" when I ask about it. It's frustrating now because my left shoulder is having problems (that's the side I normally sleep on) and I can't sleep on my right side so I've been forcing myself to sleep on my back or stomach rolleyes Do you have a TMJ disorder as well? My problem ear is also the side that my TMJ flares up worse, I wonder if it's related. (my doctor said my problems are caused by arthritis in that joint)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.