Leg collapses when walking after Lumbar puncture

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, I was wondering if any one has experienced your leg collapsing when you walk after a lumbar puncture.  I had a LP last August 2015 and eveer since my right leg gives out when I am walking or standing up from a chair.  Its just random, with no warning.  I usually fall to the ground.  I have no control over my leg at all. It feels like tis not there. Once I stand up my leg is back to mornal.  I can't figure it out.  After a few weeks I went to my doctor and he said that it could not be from the LP and ran a bunch of test but it never, ever happened before the test.  I can still put my hand on the spot they punctured and feel pain. I always feel pain in that spot when I stand up from falling. At first I fell 10 plus times a day.  Now I only fall once or twice a day.  My leg feels weak when I walk too much and will start to give out on me.  But my doctor still says there is no way it is from the LP but has no other answers either.  Any input would be great. I am at a loss and I am just tired of walking around falling and embarrasing myself.  

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had one back in July of 2015.  When the first doctor tried, i had to force her to stop because they were hitting a nerve.  Took another doc with xray to get it right.  Still to this day I have pain in my left hip joint when I first get out of bed and random throbs throughout the night in my left leg.  Was never like that before I had that done and i'm only 33.
    • Posted

i was almost paralyzed after this its been two weeks n i am barley walking in pain i should of just stayed how i was

• Posted

Hiya I too kept collapsing after my lumbar puncture neurologist thought it was fake 9 months on and I'm still having problems legs went from under me yesterday I also have seizures I never had before speech still goes slurred and I'm left with a speech inpediment wish this nitemare would end still have horrid pains in my head and drag my right foot after my lumbar puncture from he'll
    • Posted

My doctor said there is no way the lumbar puncture caused my leg collapsing problem.  I am not sure he believes me either.  It happens so much now and is becoming embarrasing to say the least.  I just can't figure it out.  Sometimes I can feel it coming and can shift my weight, but most of the time I just hit the floor. NO warning and completely no feeling in my leg when it happens.  Just feels like it does not exist for a moment.  
  • Posted

hiya..... Even though it is a pretty safe procedure having an LP...... my son has had 15 now...... it is without saying it can cause nerve irritation or can cause Nerve damage to the lumbar area..... 

It can also cause a cyst in the insition area which can cause nerve impingment..... All these causing weakness, pain and burning in the lower limbs.... And genital area..... My son is only 8 and by god he really suffers and is unable to walk after an LP..... Now he suffers with severe lumbar pain and sciatica...... 

• Posted

Hiya I feel for your son lp are very painful and the worse experience of my life I'm still dragging my right foot 9 months on with no explanation what so ever also having seizures burring of vision tingling in my legs and feet when will this nite mare ever end
  • Posted

Well it's been one year this week and my legs still collapse all the time!  I still have no answers. When will this nightmare end?  I was just put on some medicine that the doctor said would stop my leg from collapsing.  All it does is make me sleepy and tired all the time.  One week into the meds and my leg is still doing the same thing.  Who would have ever thought that a simple LP would cause this.  Maybe it is, Maybe it isn't! But the thing is they can't find anything else wrong.  Can't seem to diagnose me with MS either.  I am scheduled for my yearly MRI with the doctor in Septmeber.  Sure wish this process wasn't so long.  I am ready to move on with my life! Not that there is a cure but at least I would know something.  sad

• Posted

I had a lumbar puncture in ER about a year ago and they stuck me over and over in the ER until they sent me to Xray to get the lumbar puncture. I didn't have any residual problems. Then on July 5th I had a total knee done and they told me they were giving me a spinal block. I told them they had problems last time they tryed to stick my spine.  The anesthesiologist told me no problem. I'm not large and could feel my spine well but he stuck me over and over and I could feel him moving the needle inside my spine. After surgery I was unable to lift or raise my leg for 4 weeks and i had to move my leg as a unit or I would scream in pain. I thought it was from the knee surgery. But after I quit using walking devices my leg gave out and I fell and broke my wrist. I'm 51 yrs old. It I see 13 weeks post OP and I never know when my leg is going to give out and I'm going to fall. And the past 2 weeks have developed a lot of pain were I was stuck and the area around it. I have to go back to work soon and asked knee Dr for a leg brace to hopefully help me not fall. It is a awful feeling not knowing when your going to fall. I almost ate the pavement at Walmart the other day. I don't know why the pain is getting worse in the puncture spot. 

• Posted

Oh my God FINALLY I've found someone with the same problem!! I had a bad lumbar puncture in July 2014 performed pretty much in illegal circumstances which they are badly trying to cover up and my legs started dropping at the knee every few steps like "jelly legs". It got progressively worse and worse and since August 2014 I have been in a wheelchair completely unable to stand or walk. My strength is still there and everything but I just can't stand! 

I have bad nerve pain and "tingles" in my back ever since which jolt me awake and are soooo painful!

So happy to have people who understand because as we all know the doctors will deny until they die! sad 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.