leg cramps

Posted , 6 users are following.

i used to have quinine at night for leg cramps, when i went to get some more i was told i couldnt have any more because its toxic, has anyone else come across this

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'm sure that isn't right, my husband used to take that too for cramps. It used to be taken for malaria - perhaps still is?  Sounds more like some bossy pharmacist making his own rules similar to the guy we have in our village. 

• Posted

Got told it is toxic and can cause kidney problems, I am going to look at herbal remedies and eat bananas for potassium

• Posted

I take a mutlvitamin every day and have potassium pills available for night cramps.

Bananas help as well.

Taken from Medline Plus   US National Library of Medicine

"Quinine should not be used to treat or prevent nighttime leg cramps. Quinine has not been shown to be effective for this purpose, and may cause serious or life-threatening side effects, including severe bleeding problems, kidney damage, irregular heartbeat, and severe allergic reactions."

• Posted

Thank you you have made it more clearer, on Wednesday I see the diabetic facilate. Nurse she suggest something else, did you see panorama tonight about diabetes it was very interesting
  • Posted

I'm not a medically qualified person but perhaps you will need to take more tonic water with your gin.

Seriously though, leg cramps can be a symptom of Vitamin B Deficiency and if your diabetes is Type 2 and treated with Metformin this drug affects the absorption of B12.

Apparently upward of 40% of Americans are B12 Deficient and are not aware of it, so I'm guessing it's probably just as prevalent here in the UK. There are a dozen reasons for B12 Deficiency including diet, gastric surgery, exposure to nitrous oxide, medications such as antibiotics, the contraceptive pill, proton pump inhibitors, antacids, thyroid problems etc etc. 

If you are due a blood test any time soon ask to have your Serum B12 and Serum Folate levels checked at the same time, if only to eliminate a possible cause for your leg cramps.

I wish you well.

• Posted

Quinine is known to be toxic. It's my understanding that it was used to treat malaria.

Try a multi mineral formula and CoQ10 for the leg cramps.

• Posted

I ALWAYS take quinine - in Indian tonic water - after I have done vigorous exercise - usually spinning. Please tell me it is not toxic, as I do not presently wish to expire for good.

I also take a smidgeon of neat salt with a drink - is this also taboo? Oh dear.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.