Leg cramps with P.E.???

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, 

I had a bilateral P.E. about 3 weeks ago. Ever since then for the last 2 weeks or so I have been having intense leg cramps that never happen at the same time on both legs but will switch from the right leg to the left leg, sometimes the cramping feels like something is wrapped around my legs, my feet and legs also have a numbing sensation occasionally. My legs are incredibly tight. They did an ultra sound on my legs and there was no DVT that showed up, so my question is could they have missed it? Or is this an issue with blood flow being restricted somehow because of the clots in my lungs? Having a lot of anxiety about this, It would be nice to get some reassurance from anyone out there who might have dealt with a similar scenerio. I am also on xarelto 15 mg twice a day until this monday then switch to 20 mg once a day, Could this be a side effect of the medicine? Other than that I have minimal pain in the upper body, still hurts a tiny bit to breathe but it's the leg tightness that's throwing me off. Greatly appreciate any responses as I have talked to my doctor and he brushes it off.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. My first reaction was concern. Especially after something so scary has happened to us, right? What makes me less worried is that it changes location. Could you get a second opinion since your doctor is brushing you off? I did do a search and found this about the side effects of xarelto and a list of drugs that interact with it:

http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/mobileart-rx.asp?drug=xarelto&monotype=rx-desc&monopage=0

So sorry! And good luck!

• Posted

Having a P.E. is traumatizing, I already have an anxiety disorder, so this just makes it ten times worse. Its good to know it's definitely not another clot. I guess I will see how it progresses in the mean time and if it doesnt stop i will have to get a second opinion and maybe switch meds! I have been walking on the treadmill starting yesterday and this seemed to help alittle bit. Thanks for your input. 

• Posted

Being on the blood thinners and knowing they Checked for DVT I would feel comfortable about not having a clot. It could be superficial veins and they will cause pain and swelling I know I have them but they started going away. You do t have to worry about them causing PEs.

Try a tums when you have the cramping. My husband did and it helped. Do you wear compression socks or pants? Try that will help too.

• Posted

Thanks for you're advice Windy, you have put my mind at ease knowing that you have had the same symptoms and they went away. How long did it take before the cramps went away? do you think it is from damage caused to the veins or just a lack of oxygen from the clot? I was looking into getting compression socks, Are those ok to wear even if you don't have a DVT? I am only 29 years old and they say it was birth control that caused the clot, i hope i don't have vein damage.. 

• Posted

Compression is good for anyone any time. My Dr told me to go to Old Navy that's where she gets hers and she loves wearing the pants on her off times it makes her legs feel good. She did tell me I bought the wrong size because mine fit to good they need to be snug!

• Posted

I can relate to this. My Pe was found on monday and I stayed in hospital til Tuesday afternoon. They wanted me for one more night but I felt stable enough to go home. They checked with a portable ultrasound machine for dvts but only on my thighs. I've had really bad leg cramps in my calfs for the passed 3 days now so I'm also very concerned! I have checkup on Tuesday so I will let you know what my dr says if you like!

• Posted

Im surprised they didnt do an ultrasound on your calves since thats where most clots happen... but since you're probably on blood thinners, it's unlikely to develop another clot. But it's always good to know if you have one. I have asked two doctors and they didn't have any answers for me about the cramping, the only thing i can think of is the oxygen in the blood from lack of deep breathing. I am still having cramps as i type this ugh. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.