Leg jerks

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am almost 6 weeks postop from total knee replacement on right knee. Tonight I have experienced while trying to go to sleep my leg will start jerking. Is this normal?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Not really although I've had that happen from Restless Leg Syndrome.  If the orthopedist has no answer (except drugs...ugh...not a real solution), I got mine cured naturally by acupuncture.  Kept my wife awake at night so I found a way to fix it.  Just make sure it's nothing post-surgical or spine related.

• Posted

Thanks Chico, I just noticed it tonight when just drifting off to sleep. I have an appt with surgeon on Monday..I will tell hime about it.
    • Posted

Happened to me at the same time.  Make sure nothing else is going on.  Tried drugs...horrible.  Muscle relaxers, tranquilizers, sleep meds did not work for me (Ambien and Lunestra were a nightmare...would walk in my sleep and cook bacon at 3AM...good thing I didn't burn the house down). Acupuncture did the job. From now on, I try natural stuff first.  I stay away from as many RX meds as possible.

• Posted

How funny. When I took Ambien, I ordered a talking George Bush doll without remembering. I love George Bush but I would rather have had the bacon.
    • Posted

Yes.  There's bacon and then there's...........  Well, there's only bacon.

• Posted

That happened to me---just part of te healing process. Both legs are fine now.
  • Posted

Oh wow Michelle, that happened to me a few times in the early weeks. I thought it was just me, I find I get restless legs when my B12 is low, just before my injection! Just thought it was something to do with that!

Good news is I had it for a few nights, but not really since. It is the most annoying thing, just settling down & getting comfortable & wallop it starts.

It will go away.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Michelle sounds normal. Moment I started getting them I asked my surgeon. It is muscle spasms and part of normal recovery. I don't take anything for it.

Restless Leg Syndrome is not an actual physical spasm or create a jerk or movement in the leg. Restless leg is the sensation that you continually have to move your legs to find comfort. Also not to be confused with the normal recovery sensation that there is no comfortable position for the leg. All the ligaments, tendons, nerves and muscle need time to adjust so any prolonged position will prompt change.

Here's an interesting twist! (BTW, I am 9 weeks out). I have had a difficult recovery and not just from this bear of a surgery, I had crazy pain levels that would not improve and missed every single "normal" milestone. I use that term very loosely- every patient is so different in their recovery. We finally did some nerve conduction test and EMG and I was diagnosed with femoral nerve and muscle damage possibly from the tourniquet.

Sorry long run way. X3 a day is too much for home excercises for me. V

I started a new treatment plan following my diagnosis... And the first thing the physical therapist did was put me on a walking restriction. Only walking I absolutely needed ( the bathroom).

At first I was skeptical. Thought my leg would get weaker.! Now 2 weeks later my pain level dropped drastically, I have stability standing; went from 84 degree to 114 degree flexion and can walk a short distance with a cane.

I only do excercises twice a day. You think if you do more it is better. Not true! Sometimes talking a break from putting so much pressure on the knee can greatly heal. I am merely sharing my experience with you. Boston surgeons suggest only 3-4 short walks around the home at your stage. Focus on the excercises. Flexion and getting to a straight leg is the most important. That is what prepares your leg for stronger walking.

I was overdoing it way too much because my recovery was slow and I kept pushing harder to try and catch up. Overdoing it will cause the muscle spasms!

Take care and I wish you great healing! What a trip we have all been on!!

• Posted

I had forgotten about that!  yes, it happened to me, and as far as I know, it is not partiuclarly unusual or in any way dangerous. It didn't last long in my case.  

• Posted

Michelle,  I also had muscle spasms.  Be sure to tell surgeon.  Mine became worse and I was given medication to take for a few weeks. 

Pam

• Posted

HI Michelle,

I had this up until week 5 wad told part of recovery and healing. It got less..Also had tingling down my calf into foot intermittently and was told all normal.

Jan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.