legg calve perthes' disease

Posted , 6 users are following.

i was diagnosed with Perthes' Disease when i was 2-3 years old, i am now 15 and want to know if its normal for the pain to come back after about 2 years..

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I got diagnosed at the age of 5. I'm now 22 and still have pain, I suffer from arthiritus, and have to have hip replace the in my early 20's late 40's. I suffer daily. But knowing it is a lot more known about now then it was when I got diagnosed is good. They have solutions in a sense.
  • Posted

Hello, I am older than you but I did learn a few things on the way...try to always keep streching the area.  Sadly the pain comes and goes, I just try to manage it the best I can.  If you have not tried yet, seek out natural answers, like hemopathic and perhaps a anti inflammatory.  It seems to help me.  I wish you a good healthly life.

Natasha

• Posted

Hi William,

You might be lucky, I had it from 11 and I was fine upto the age of 38 after doing too much running, was even in the Army Reserves but its worse now and a hip operation is got to come soon. I am 45 now.

When you get to 45 they will probably be able to grow you a new bone and insert it in, its amazing how science has progressed.

Cheers,

Jason 

• Posted

Hello,

I am sorry to say sweetheart, but from all the people I have spoken with, the pain comes and goes.  Some people not so bad.. You must take care of yourself.  Streching the area is soooo important.

• Posted

It is definatly normal for the pain to come back.

It would definatly be a good idea to talk to a doctor about it and if needed have xrays to make sure things are ok.

It sounds like you have had it easy with the perthes. You are so lucky!!!

I have suffered from a really bad case since i was 7 years old. It invovled bone chipping, cracks in socket, lose of cartlige and extremely deformed hips. Ive had my first hip replacement. I'm 20 years old.

Keep the muscles up in your legs. Ive heard it helps alot smile

• Posted

Hello Laura, I am so sorry to hear that you are having such a tough time.  Your are correct the pain comes and goes. I use heat and sometimes cold packs.  Try actupunture for the pain, it helps a little. I also use natural medicines and hemopathic. I will try anything to see if it helps ease the pain a little.  Maybe try a naturalpath doctor, or a herbalogist. to help reduse the pain and inflammation.  My best to you, love and peace.
  • Posted

Hi William, my son had Perthes severely from 3 to 9 years old. He spent nearly 6 years in a wheelchair, not allowed to weightbear at all. Spent many weeks in hospital on traction, and being tested for lots of other illnesses due to the level of his pain and inflammation. He also has learning difficulties but does go to main stream high school now at 13 1/2 years old. Recently he has developed some knee pain in his good leg and hip pain in his bad leg. last week he came home from school after doing PE in excruciating pain in his bad leg, had difficulty walking and was asking for pain relief, which isn't like him. He was bad for the next few days, especially in the mornings. We have seen his GP who has ordered an X-RAY. I found out he hadn't been telling me how long it's been hurting him because he was frightened he'd have to have a MRI scan, he's had several under general anaesthetic for a cyst in his spinal cord. I'm asking the same as you, is it normal for pain to return like this? Can Perthes return in the same hip?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.