Lesions on legs/feet

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have started getting lesios/rogh patches on my legs and feet. Occasionally itchy. Could these be caused by gout medication?  Can I use any creams etc. to get rid of them?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Maurice

It depends on your gout medication ;-) how long you been taking it?

But other things will cause it e.g. Vein problems.

What does your doctor say?

• Posted

Allopurinol 300mg---only seem to have developed this problem whilst I have been taking this med.  Could be coincidence of course. Haven't bothered with the doc as yet. Like others, I got a "look in the book" doc initially!

• Posted

The list of problems that allopurinol *can* cause, is so long that it includes everything short of sudden blindness and legs falling off.

I'm pretty sure that any rash is on the list of things for which (if taking allopurinol) you should see the doc about directly.

• Posted

Maurice

If you go to the official site of the manufacturer of allopurinol you will see that there are three or four different types of skin rashes and lesions that can be caused but are not common. The fact of them being unusual doesn't mean it's not you - someone has to have it! I would think it would be very reasonable that the allopurinol is causing it. The obvious test would be to try a period without the drug or at a lower dose. Indeed a lower dose may allow your body to adjust before going back on a higher dose.

** I would not do these experiments without discussing it with your doctor **

• Posted

Thanks Rusty.....I'll try a reduced dose and see what happens--I guess the worst thing that could happen is my gout might flare up. We'll see.

Maurice

• Posted

Good luck Maurice. I'd try some creams too. Rash things are a devil to get rid of though.

• Posted

Maurice

I was reading some material and came across this. I don't think in your case it's an issue as you've had it for some time. It may however be a good idea to mention the rash to your doctor if you haven't already.

Warnings

Allopurinol TABLETS USP SHOULD BE DISCONTINUED AT THE FIRST APPEARANCE OF SKIN RASH OR OTHER SIGNS WHICH MAY INDICATE AN ALLERGIC REACTION. In some instances a skin rash may be followed by more severe hypersensitivity reactions such as exfoliative, urticarial, and purpuric lesions, as well as Stevens-Johnson syndrome (erythema multiforme exudativum), and/or generalized vasculitis, irreversible hepatotoxicity, and, on rare occasions, death.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.