Let’s all go into PMR remission by using “Don’t worry, be happy”

Posted , 12 users are following.

We all communicate so well on this great ‘Patient’ website and share our PMR miseries but I think that we should also be sharing more of our “happiness’s”.

There is a branch of medicine that addresses the state of mind influence on our physical health called psychoneuroimmunology. It deals with the influence of our emotional state such as stress and nervous system activities on our immune functions. Studies suggest that mental states such as stress can influence health and how subjective moods connect with the incredibly complicated physiology of the nervous and immune systems.

Many of us with PMR feel somewhat ‘separated’ from others (family and friends) who just don’t understand what we are feeling both mentally and physically.

I am sure that stress and loneliness push our immune responses in the wrong directions, shaping our ability to fight PMR disease. I think that the medical professionals that deal with PMR and similar diseases need to try to generate greater understanding of how the immune system and nervous system interact.

I think that “happiness therapy”, including regular doses of humor and specific ‘fun’ things that each of us personally enjoy should be one of the most important issues proposed by our medical professionals and not just how ‘rotten’ things are and will be.

Rheumatologists know that portions of the nervous system connect with immune-related organs and response to stress can suppress parts of the immune system and, over the long term, lead to damaging levels of inflammation. They know all about this from studying the immune molecular messengers such as the stress hormone cortisol and the immune messenger proteins called cytokines. But do they talk to us about this ?

Another ‘big’ factor is that lonely people who may be less likely to eat well or to visit their doctor regularly can have upregulated genes related to inflammatory response, whereas sociable people tend to generate the opposite.

Most of us are driven only by our own feelings, and our happiness depends only on our personal feelings. If these feelings are adverse, we may become very stressed. But if we care about things beyond ourselves — community, politics, etc. then stresses tend to be of less concern. There seems to be enough evidence to suggest that emotions contribute to health.

So – “Don't worry, be happy” and “Be sociable” are very important factors for all of us with PMR.

Dave

7 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I agree with what you are saying,Dave. I have always been an outgoing person and have friends who are the same. When we get together there is much hilarity but not everyone is like that no matter how they try. Being sociable is hard for some people. I think it is important for one's mental health to be less self immersed but it is not always easy especially for people who have been floored by whatever illness they have. I also support friends who are going through their own difficulties. There are few people who don't have a cross to bear and sometimes we don't know until they share it. I realise that I have been fortunate and although for a short time I had to drop some interests I have taken up most of them again. Getting out and meeting people gives one such a lift. The world won't come to us ....we need to go out to it. I have been able to take up my voluntary work again but I am pacing myself. I think that is part of being able to do more and realising that housework can wait. Perhaps we need a laughter section on this forum! Little stories of things that have happened in our day that are amusing. I know my grandchildren can be so amusing that I am sometimes stifling my laughter. As a forum we are good at laughing our own antics.
  • Posted

Well said Dave, theres alot of truth in what you have writen, I totaly agree with it, Max.
  • Posted

Well what an insight.  I agree wholeheartedly with everything you say.  I have been "separated" from family and friends more so now than before.  I have always been a loner but not to the extent that PMR has brought me to.  Having ME/CFS for 15 years, then PMR and now steroid induced Diabetes type 2.  It's hard to be happy, but I am very grateful that's all I have.  

I am always "out there" full of fun and wit and now most of it is standing in the wings and bursting to get on stage.  I tell myself, just give time - time.  Regards Pat

• Posted

I totally agree, Dave.  But you know it's simply difficult to get 'through' to people sometimes.  We do have fun on here though.  We are not always miserable, and if we can cheer just a few people up every day, we have done our bit.

A couple of days ago I opened a discussion on 'Progress/Improvements'.  I was surprised there were only about 7 replies.  A while ago I started one on 'Breakfast' - I think there were over 60 replies!  A few months ago I started one on 'Weather' - there were over 100 replies to that one.  Seems most people are interested in food, etc etc.  Still, we do have fun with these subjects.

My son has a 'singing' fish who bends towards us and sings "Don't worry, be happy".  Crazy, but hilarious!

Regards fr Constance.  Have a happy and pain free weekend.🍷

• Posted

I agree Dave.  A positive mental attitude is critical to feeling better.  I have found my vinyassa flow hot yoga practice and volunteer work especially helpful.  There are apps and websites dedicated to injecting a little happiness into ones day that can give  a boost too.
  • Posted

Great points Dave!  I am going to go out of my way to socialize more starting now.  I think it is time for a get together with some of my gal friends, and then maybe a party gathering.  Thanks for the reminder - it DOES make a difference and I always enjoy a chance to gab and laugh away.
  • Posted

So very true, Dave.

Before the onset of GCA, I was in a busy, fulltime job that I loved. I had plenty of hobbies and friends (who mostly also worked).

I went on sick leave for 4 months at my worst, but realised I wasn't going to manage to work again, so decided to retire. A complete turnaround in lifestyle and although I had no energy for doing anything, I did suddenly feel very isolated and lonely. I no longer played a part in the outside world.

I'm gradually building up activities I can manage fairly easily, which get me involved with other people, such as art classes, book club etc and it has a great effect on my mental wellbeing.

I try to keep a positive outlook and try to look for something each day that I will enjoy, even if it's just sitting down with a good book. Living in the moment also works - looking at the beauty which is all around us. :-)

• Posted

Yeah, but, I'm tired of always being the listener, the compassionate one...with PMR I've learned to ask for help, to get people to LISTEN to me for once. For them to show some compassion.  So, it's been good for my family and friends to know its NOT all about themselves. I've had to ask for support.  

Plus having this has taught me how to have even more compassion for those in pain or having a hard time with life with illness.  People have told me they had RA, but I didn't really know what it meant until now. I don't just shrug off something and expect them to be happy.

However... I'm also learning from my Bowen gal so say to myself "it's okay to be scared", "it's okay to be quiet or a bit sad", but yes balance that with "wow, I'm so fortunate!"  My husband is being a dear with my PMR.  It's ok to stay home, be alone, not socialize.

And YES, loving the smallest things in life.

I try to often just feel JOY in my body, release all the fears, tension, worries, just give my self love. 

Besides... No one can love others if they don't first love themselves. wink 

Bless you Dave for starting this conversation. 

Bless all of you for sharing our fears, experiences, knowledge AND LAUGHTER! 

• Posted

definitely not. Being happy just for the sake of it can't possibly help. When people say to me "have a good day" I ask "why?". And I'm certainly not going to have a good one just because someone tells me to. Leave me to my pit of misery where I'm truly happy. Paddling around (I nearly said floundering) in my sea of pain and uncertainty. Knowing that tomorrow will be worse. Knowing that just round the corner is some new misery to add to the already large burden. Wondering why I can't do all the things I used to do while convincing myself I don't need to try and I never enjoyed them anyway. Someone has to do it so everyone else can feel better. So it might as well be me. Shake off those thoughts of "not giving in". Its there. I've got it. I can't change it. Go with the flow. Accept the inevitable. And for all those people who don't want to understand. So what. If they don't care now they probably never did. I'm better off without them. I don't need them. Its so much easier when I don't have to think about what others are saying or doing. Life's complicated enough without all those unnecessary interruptions. Who needs to laugh with others when I can laugh at myself. Totally independent, totally self contained. Leave me alone. Can't you see I'm happy being miserable. 

And just in case I'm misunderstood, here's a couple of those meaningless moving intolerable icons to brighten everyone's day (except mine). lol lol

But on the other hand. I believe being positive helps enormously. And life's too short to be negative. There be gremlins. So I won't go there. I don't belong there. Polywhatsit is just another hiccough in the roller coaster of life. There to be rolled over. Even Grannies on motorised roller skates can do it so of course I can. There's a little red mental flag on a broken pole that pops up whenever I think "no" and a big green flag that waves victoriously ....... well, most of the time! lol

Well done to all of you who read to the end ..... lol

• Posted

Oh my gosh... I'm almost laughing to tears... HAD to read to the end! 
    • Posted

Thanks, Julian.  We've started the day in a lovely way, smiling.

From one of the "grannies".

• Posted

Well, you brightened my day, Julian, whether you like it or not! :-)
    • Posted

Hi Julian – if polywhatsit is only a hiccup in your life, you are certainly one of the luckiest among us !

I’ve had hiccups, and other bowel related issues that I certainly viewed the way you do about your version of a hiccup – but polywhatsit has not allowed me to not be “bothered”.

I think in reality that you must be a very ‘happy’ sufferer and thus I think it is now your responsibility to let us all know how to be ‘happy’ and  ‘positive’ and not even notice the polywhatsit !!

Thanks - Dave

• Posted

Really Dave, Julian is doing his best!  I WAS a "bothered' sufferer, but have decided not to ruin the rest of my life worrying about what I can't change.  Positive thinking really does help.  However, the odd Gin and bitter lemon, the plate of fish and chips, the bread pudding, are helping - only occasionally, of course.

Have a great, pain free, weekend.

Constance 🍷

• Posted

its really quite simple Dave. Sorry about the length. How I manage my life goes back to my schooldays where I had to deal with chronic headaches. Skills honed on a 5 year recovery from a back operation about 25 years ago.

I make choices. I can decide how to react to polywhatsit or anything else. I can decide how I manage my way around that which I can't change. I can change my behaviour. I can decide to be positive. Problems are there to be solved or overcome.

My career was in heavy industry. If a furnace blew up the first question is how to get it operating again. How did it happen is asked to help stop it happening again - its too hard trying to change the past, so look ahead to what can be changed. Someone else can look for blame and all that backward looking stuff if they want to.

And by way of relief I'm prone to finding humour in most situations. Usually self-deprecating humour - which doesn't always travel well across some cultures or into fora.

My pollywhatsit appeared overnight in November 2013. In Nepal. My wife and I were 2 1/2 years into driving 4wd motorhome from Aus to Europe. On our way back. Independent travel can be quite stressful. At times it seems like a never ending succession of problems to be solved. In between the highlights of people and places that is - those are the bits we choose to remember. We'd stopped for a rest and some trekking.

Important bit is that there's usually no option but to solve the problems as they arise. And a belief that they can be solved. Otherwise the goal can't be achieved. That's an important mind set.

The symptoms of screaming pain and being unable to walk all those wonderful looking Nepalese tracks were sufficiently obscure that we figured the chances of diagnosis locally were relatively low. We tossed a mental coin and decided that since I didn't seem to be getting worse after a couple of weeks we would carry on through India, Myanmar, Thailand, Malaysia and ship our vehicle back to Aus as originally planned. Arrival in Aus would be April 2014, 4 1/2 months away.

I make light of it, but imagine how difficult it must have been for my wife listening to me scream. And "can you help with my t-shirt dear" while wanting to scream some more. But with sufficient commuication, and being very objective about my mysterious condition, we could decide to proceed.

So then it became a simple question of "what do we have to change to improve our chances of reaching Aus". And "what can we do?" not "what can't we do?". One of the very definite choices about positive not negative that had already got us so far. Perversely we actually headed west through the north of India, as far as the wonderfully exotic sounding Rann of Kutch. But at a much slower pace than previously. We changed a whole heap of little things that added up to easier (but still not easy).

The day the truck almost caught fire at the side of the road was just another day. Followed by a couple of weeks of tracing melted wires - lying on the floor of the cab, contorted around the steering column, trying to follow wires with arms that just wouldn't go where I needed them to go and sweat dripping in my eyes. But again, not many available options.

Though never feeling sorry for myself. We were lucky to be where we were. Lucky to be doing and seeing the things we were. Lucky my condition was stable. Lucky that we could carry on. I was extremely lucky with the support of my wife.

So, we muddled our way from Nepal to Malaysia. I think I was lucky to only miss one day sight seeing. Though the more rest I needed the less rest my wife got.

We had internet everywhere except Myanmar. Discussions with daughter in Aus defined the sort of GP we would need the day we landed in Aus. Someone thoughtful and willing to spend time on what may be a difficult diagnosis. Holistic was mentioned several times. Good at complex diagnosis. Possibly female. Not your average GP. Another choice. And so the pollywhatsit was diagnosed the day after we landed in Aus. Immediate pred and almost immediate relief. A huge weight lifted. Our luck continued.

So getting home a couple of weeks later was really a continuation of "what's the next problem to solve?". Lucky to find this forum and people willing to share their pollywhatsit journey. I think my first post was a thankyou. I came seeking understanding of my condition, understanding which would allow all those important choices to be made. All founded on "there's a way through this, I just have to find it".

The progression of my pollywhatsit hasn't been that much different to many others. How to balance and taper the pred dose. How to deal with the pred side effects, particularly the mental ones. A very brief flirt with shingles and wondering why my legs turned blue (new shorts with not fast dye). And so on.

And now feeling lucky again that tests showed a blocked artery, which required a stent about 5 weeks ago. And a decision to attend rehab - exercise at the risk of a pollywhatsit flare. The rehab people weren't sure of any success but were willing to try. My luck held, I have more energy than I've had since pollywhatsit first struck.

The truck became broken in Mongolia. Not the time to look for elegant engineering solution. Enough temporary repair to nurse us along until back in Aus. It was June of this year, more than a year after return,  before I felt remotely capable of tackling the permanent rebuild. A big project. I'm about 2 weeks away from completion. Had to find a different way of putting the 200kg roof back on than original method. I've lost a bit of strength. With suitable pulleys and ropes my wife and I did that last week. There's always a way.

In May I decided I'd put on a bit of weight and needed to lose some. I've now lost 5kg at 200g per week. The simple engineer in me figured if I supplied less energy than I needed I'd lose weight. At one level, just another choice I made.

Nope, its not easy, it really is a roller coaster. And there are obstacles on it. Which I choose to call hiccoughs, because part of my mindset is that I don't have obstacles. Hiccoughs are easier to overcome than obstacles.

To put all this in perspective. Our trip was just something we decided to do. Our circumstances allowed it, we both knew what we were getting into. The pollywhatsit was just another problem to contend with. One of several which could have ended our trip. What I'm trying to say without any false modesty is that we don't consider ourselves particularly special in any way. The truck trip and the pollywhatsit I tolerate are just part of our lives. Other people do other things and none of us can do everything.

Which gets me to the current "Progress" topic on this forum. I genuinely get what little mental strength I have from the likes of those stories of the ladies walking further this week than last while losing their sticks and abandoning their rolly thingoes. Those are real achievements and progress. Inspiring, and at the same time I wonder if I would have such strength were my pollywhatsit to effect me to such an extent.

Its not that I'm not bothered by pollywhatsit, or that I don't notice it. Its about the choices and decisions I make in managing my life around it.

There's an old engineering joke about the glass is only half full because the glass is too big. I'm lucky. I have a large glass that's overflowing. Despite the pollywhatsit.

Just a way of thinking about the world. Sorry it took so long to explain.

• Posted

just 'twixt you me and the gatepost - fish and chips are really good lol
    • Posted

You are a joy... My body hurt as I imagined you hurting while on this trip.  Probably like me and others, wonder why in hell we suddenly woke up with these pains and unable to move, but yes...life went on until we finally got our diagnosis.  In putting myself in your shoes, having those glorious vacation/adventurous  sights to distract...I hope... And problems to solve to keep you going and you mention your supportive wife... Again...you brought smiles and beautiful tears to my eye.  You are a beautiful writer and have great wisdom to share... I'm not good with words as I'm trying to describe the feelings I feel inside after reading your story with interests and a profound joy. Thanks for sharing.  Big cyber hug to you. Keep solving problems...hee, Hee, I used to be a software engineer, so I understand the problem solving, but darn it...can't solve this Polywhatsit!!!   Ha, ha, ha... !!! 😃
    • Posted

You are one amazing man. I have a husband who had fairly recent major heart surgery and almost died. He also has a limiting illness so I was determined to do a lot of bucket list plans before they became beyond our reach. We did them before his surgery, not realising how ill he was but luck was with us, and we achieved every one. Given the knowledge we now have of how ill he was, would we have done them? I don't know. I'd like to think we would but who knows. This was, of course, prior to PMR diagnosis but It was lurking and I put it down to getting older. We did consider a world trip in a motorised caravan but decided that was probably a vision too far. Good to hear that you have achieved so much despite all. I worked in oncology and I think that gave me the impetus to get out and just do it. I met some amazing people who given their circumstances achieved so much in a short time. I think that is why I count my blessings even though it can be hard. Sometimes we need to achieve small goals which can be a huge reward. Best wishes to everyone on their journey.
    • Posted

Julian, it sounds like you are a cobber from the awesome race we call Aussies ? Or maybe not. But, if you are, don’t put us in the same bucket as you – we’re not as tough !

Your little trip sounds like you had fun except for a couple of minor hiccups – polywhatsit being one of them. Anyway I hope you (and your wife) survived and are now living a relaxed life swimming around in your very large glass – watch out you don’t float over the rim !

I enjoyed your ‘life’ discussion – I think there maybe others who may start reviewing their ‘past’ and seeing if it was tougher than their current polywhatsit condition and if they survived prior miserable things, why they are now ‘bothered’ by polywhatsit.

But I think most of us are only really driven by what is happening at this moment and not by what went before. Generally only the good stuff seems to be highlighted in our memories and a lot of that is overruled by the daily polywhatsit feelings – but fun and enjoyment can help shove some of those feelings to one side – at least keeping our glasses half full and not half empty.

Dave

• Posted

one thing is for certain in all this, we are stuck with pollywhatsit, but we don't have to let it take over our lives. We can do the things we can do in the best possible way.

Thanks to all for comments and stories. Every bit helps.

Now back to the mundane of connecting drains on the truck. So we can be in Canberra (1300km) for Christmas, and dream of a South America trip.

Got to go. Have to create tomorrow's luck.

• Posted

I do admire you!  We haven't been to England for three years now.  I'm scared of the journey!  It's all of 5 hours drive from here, a two hour crossing,  and then another two and a half our drive?  Sad, isn't it?  I'm so positive in so many ways, but that thought daunts me.  Could fly, of course, but what would we do over there with no car?  Mind you my husband isn't too keen either.  He's 80 so you probably understand.

Never mind - Germany is a great place to be 'stuck' in - we've been here for 44 years now.

• Posted

I've noticed as I get older I've become more cautious. In my youth I would have driven 1300km to Canberra in one long drive, last few times we took two days, this time probably 3 days. Not really looking forward to "driving driving" as the French who spend the winter in Morocco say.

I can think of worse places than Germany to be 'stuck' in. My best place in the world to be is always where I am.

• Posted

Julian, thank you so much for your post. It was very inspiring.

It's so easy to get lost in feeling sorry for oneself, and I do sometimes get fed up with being ill (previously PMR and now GCA), but I refuse to allow it to spoil my life. So when I'm too tired or unwell to get off the sofa, like this weekend, I sleep, read, eat a few treats. I know there will be days when I feel much better.

So thank you again for your wonderful post. :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.