Levels

Posted , 5 users are following.

Good morning all

I had my latest v/section yesterday, first tried my right arm(usually

Reliable) no good then tried my left started coming out slowly, then

After half a bag,it stopped so instead of 500 m only around 200m came

Out,has anyone ever had this where there blood just drys up????

Then to make things even more down hearting my levels went up by 175

Oh well just keep going

Cheers philx

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I too have trouble sometimes giving blood and i alternate my arms because sometimes I have bruising, it never ends, just keep going, Glyn
  • Posted

Hi Phil. Yeah, I had that a few times. I think it's the angle they put the needle in sometimes that causes the problem. With me it was always one particular nurse that I had problems with. In the end, as much as she was a lovely nurse, I had to ask for another nurse, who over the year ALWAYS got the full 500mm.

As a blood donor now I always hope they don't have a problem, as they'll only try once, then that's it. So far so good though. Always my left are as right was always a problem.

Sorry to hear about your levels going up...you'll get there. I never thought I'd get there..my levels sometimes shot up.....but, all good now. All the best. Mike.

• Posted

Hi mike

Up to date I have had the same 2 plabotomists who are very good

Just seemed like one of those days,I had at least 2 litres up to having

V/section so wasn't dehydrated, I have 2 more before I see hemotologist

Again if it carry's on staying where it is or rising I will ask to go back

To weekly,oh well only another 837 to go.

Cheers phil

• Posted

Hi Phlix. Yes. It happens. I couldn't give a full pint of blood either. It was my first time. I had a cup of coffee in my hand when I walked up to give. Can't drink coffee because it is a vein restrictor! I didn't even know that. I know i can't take asprin, but maybe I might try a niacin supplement before giving. Niacin enlarges the veins. I can't find any negatives about Niacin. The blood tech lady told me to drink a lot of water for 3 days prior to my next donation. I'm going to try that. I'll let you know if it makes a difference! I haven't been able to get a hemotologist yet... I will get one next year... so, I don't know if my levels went up or not. Be well and hang in there, things will get better.

• Posted

Hi dawn

Thank you for your reply,I didn't know that about coffee either.

I always drink plenty of fluids anyway, and on the day of venesection

I drink a minimum of 2 litres, and my appointments are always at 10 am

I also take soluble aspirin daily too,it's supposed to be for heart problems

But I wonder is it something to do with hemochromatosis????

Also the hemochromatosis society, say if you are cold it can affect

Our veins,and it is always good in the room,I have a couple of heated

Pads,I will put these on my arms before I go in,try anything??

Cheers philx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.