Levothyroxine and reaction to other drugs

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have taken levothyroxine for thirty years without raising or decreasing the dosage, and without any side effects---until I was put on Alpha Lipoic Acid. I started having so many symptoms I couldn't key in on what the source of my problem was. My symptoms were (among a few) numbness in toes, feet, ankles and legs reaching through my lower back. I became cripple and limping on a cane. I was weak, had no physical strength, low blood sugar, which required sacking every two hours, hoarseness, blurred vision, drowsiness, dizziness, muscle cramps--and others.  I felt like my entire body was falling apart and I was dying. Doctors had no idea what was wrong with me. I found an online report about Alpha Lipoic Acid. (DO NOT TAKE IF YOU ARE ON THYROID OR DIABETIC MEDICATION)  Also, do not use soy products, and put 4 hours between taking Levothryroxine  and taking antacids, calcium tablets. I am doing better since I gave up the Alpha Lipoic Acid, but my body cells were so badly damaged, it appears it will take some time to heal.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for your advice and seems like you have been through the wars.  I have been on the same dosage of levothyroxine for years plus T3.  I have just had a blood test and seems my TSH is surpressed so they have reduced the quantity by 25mg a day.  I also take antacids due to taking antiinflamatories which causes indigestion and heartburn.  I never heard of Alpha Lipoic Acid so is good to know of this effect it can have on the body, however saying that, I too have aches and pains, walk with a limp but this is due to a fall i had in 2011 but waiting on an operation soon.  

I will certainly  look this drug up. 

• Posted

Well I have looked it up and here is what it states: but first why were you put on this? do you have Diabetes as this is what is it used for according to the information I found?  

Alpha-lipoic acid is a vitamin-like chemical called an antioxidant. Yeast, liver, kidney, spinach, broccoli, and potatoes are good sources of alpha-lipoic acid. It is also made in the laboratory for use as medicine.

Alpha-lipoic acid is used for diabetes and nerve-related symptoms of diabetes including burning, pain, and numbness in the legs and arms. High doses of alpha-lipoic acid are approved in Germany for the treatment of these symptoms.

Some people use alpha-lipoic acid for memory loss, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS),HIV/AIDS, cancer, liver disease, diseases of the heart and blood vessels (including a disorder called cardiac autonomic neuropathy) and Lyme disease.

Alpha-lipoic acid is also used to treat eye-related disorders, such as damage to the retina, cataracts, glaucoma, and an eye disease called Wilson’s disease.

How does it work?

Alpha-lipoic acid seems to help prevent certain kinds of cell damage in the body, and also restores vitamin levels such as vitamin E and vitamin C. There is also evidence that alpha-lipoic acid can improve the function and conduction of neurons in diabetes.

Alpha-lipoic acid is used in the body to break down carbohydrates and to make energy for the other organs in the body.

Alpha-lipoic acid seems to work as an antioxidant, which means that it might provide protection to the brain under conditions of damage or injury. The antioxidant effects might also be helpful in certain liver diseases.

• Posted

Hello,

I have been on levothyroxine for 30 years as well.  about 2 months ago, i started feeling numbness on the tip of my tongue.  Now, i get that numbness and tingling sensation on my face, hands, and toes.  could this be related to levothyroxine?  

• Posted

Point here is that Alpha Lipoic Acid is life threatening for people who depend on thyroid medication to live. If you have thyroid removed or are underactive thyroid Alpha Lipoic Acid interacts and nulls levothyroxine which in this case is life threatening.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.