Levothyroxine, high blood pressure rapid pulse

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm currently taking 112mg of Levothyroxine per day and have been on this dosage for about a year.  My thyroid blood work came back at "perfect levels"  according to my GP, however, it was discovered that I have high blood pressure as well as a rapid heart beat.  My doctor wants to prescribe an adrenaline blocker.  I know these symptoms can be side effects of Levo.  When I suggested that he lower my dosage of Levo, he refused again stating that my levels were perfect.  I don't understand why he would add another medication without trying a lower dosage first.  Maybe there is reasoning here that I'm not seeing, or maybe I need a second opinion.  Any feed back is appreciated.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It would take you about 2 days up to 7weeks to test your theory, Simply cut your dosage down about 25% and see how you feel. I suffered with this for over a year and wound up on Xanax before another doctor listened to me. Just because it's written on the bottle doesn't mean you should take it all if it is making you feel bad.  My anxiety went away in under a week. A U.S. thyroid advocate Mary Shoman just wrote about this today. You can find her website on line. 
  • Posted

Terry, thank you, thank you!  My sister noticed that I have become "nervous" and I worry more than I should.  This is something that's developed over the last year.  I will speak with my doctor again and hopefully talk him into giving me a lower dosage, if not, I think it's time for a second opinion.  I appreciate you taking the time to answer me.
  • Posted

Hello Sleeping:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse (RN).  I live in the USA.  Symptoms you describe above can be related to having too much  (HYPER) Thyroid hormone.

Some of the symptoms are: loose bowels, rapid heart rate, nervousness,  anxiety, bug eyed look, shaky,  rapid loss of weight.  these are most common.

You can reduce the Levo  a little  and it will take about 2 to 4 weeks for you to see improvement. Some doc's just like adding more pills and that is not good. Other pills can add more side effects and cause other problems. Also the thyroid med does not come in odd number doses, like 105mcg for example.  So I guess he is reluctant to play around with it.  you know your body well, so you need to do what you need to do!  I had to also cut the tablet as I could not handle a big dose.

If you feel better on a lower dose - that is proof positive.  You can do another thing and alternate between taking your full dose one day and taking a low dose the next day, etc...but it would be better to reduce the dose by cutting the tablet and take about 75% of it. 

I hope this helps.  Be well, Shelly

• Posted

I gave up smoking in January and it has apparently upset my thyroid. Got a border line blood test result so off to doctors tomorrow. Been on the same dose for the past twelve years. May need some advice tomorrow. Good to know there are fellow sufferers to talk to. Wish there had been someone there when I was first diagnosed. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.