Levothyroxine, Simvastatin and now Citalopram arrrggghhh!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I am new here so I may as well just jump in and see if anyone can give me advice. A month ago I was diagnosed with Autoimmune that has caused hyperthyroidism, which in itself was a relief because I couldn't explain why I was so ill all the time and had been fobbed off so often by doctors. On top of that they found I had hereditary high cholesterol so had just started to get into the horrible routine of taking 50mg levothyroxine and simvastatin for the rest of my days... but I was happy that maybe when they get my dose right I would be back to that fun, sparky girl I have always been. The hyperthyroidism, while trying to stabilize, causes me embarrassing tremors and I hate being around people because everyone thinks I'm an alcoholic or something. My doctor in his wisdom then gave me 20mg Citalopram to help with the tremors and anxiety and having taken the first one this morning I feel like a Junky, I can't stand up, my forehead is hurting because my eyes are the size of golf balls and I am shaking out of control. I haven't even stabilized my Hyperthyroidism yet and still understanding that and the effects that it causes without having to try and get to grips with being a high as a kite and heaving every 30 seconds... and bloomin heck my hands hurt now from trying to type... I am terrified to take anymore Citalopram with the thyroid symptoms... if anyone is in the same position but further along I could really do with some advice... because I don't relish getting worse to get better... Many Thanks sad

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I was on a high dose of citilopram 3 years ago and they made me shake and tremble a lot. I also felt quite doped up as well. Maybe you should ask your GP for something different.
  • Posted

Thank you Justina, I think I'm going to, because the last thing I needed was for the tremors I was getting from the thyroid problem to actually be worse. Yesterday was horrible and my partner said the blacks of my eyes were huge. xx
  • Posted

I also had terrible leg cramps. I was changed onto mertazepine, which you take at night before bed. Can make you drowsey but not dozey or dopey feeling in the morning. Same group of anti-depressants as citilopram. I believe citilopram can effect your teeth so you should always tell your dentist if you change meds.
  • Posted

I was also prescribed Citalopram after being prescribed Thyroxine for an underactive thyroid. I had developed depression and anxiety as a result of taking thyroxine. I had not had symptoms before. The Citlaopram made me very unwell psychologically and I stopped taking it. I would advise caution when stopping Citalopram as you need to withdraw from it slowly to avoid further side effects. I had what is known as brain shocks when I stopped the tablets which is a feeling as if you are suddenly dropping down really quickly. It continued for some weeks. I also had tinnitus. I did stop quite quickly though. Just thought I would let you know so that you you are not frightened by this possible effect as doctors probably won't mention it.
  • Posted

Hi JJ, I had a friend who had thyroid probs and was on meds for life, she also suffered with anxiety because if it and was on Citalopram and after a few months, she felt great. I was on citalopram at the same time just for anxiety and we both started on 10mg only for at least 8 weeks before going to 20mg. She was fine on 20mg but they did nothing for me only make me groggy in a morning, so I came off them and now I am on something different.

My point is, I think you should have started on a lower dose, I hate taking meds, I am frightened of what they do, so I even cut mine in half to 5mg for a week before even going up to 10 and then when I came off them I did the same. Taking too high a dose first off is a shock to the system. I did have the electric type brain zaps on this med. Hope this helps.

• Posted

I had to withdraw gradually also, it took a while. However, I seem to have reacted to the mertazipine now, my ankles and hands are swollen. GP has sent me for test and I am seeming her this afternoon. So fingers crossed they can sort me out. BTW my GP told me an underactive thyroid can make you feel depressed. Its amazing how patients are given information re the ailments and meds. Just reading posts you can see it differs widely.
  • Posted

Im on thyroxine for underactive thyroid been on them about 3 months docs started me on citrilopram 10 mg and im on day 7 never felt so rotten not sleeping and not eatin properly and body burning
    • Posted

Tammy123, it has been several years since I first posted this question. I chose to walk away from citrilopram after just a few days, when you have a thyroid problem they instantly say you must be depressed and that drug is an anti-depressant, if like me it was a small case of anxiety and a slightly embarrassing tremour, ask for a mild dose of propanonol. It's not depression it's because you feel crap xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.