Levothyroxine & stomach upset

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does levothyroxine upset anyone else's stomach?

It only upsets my stomach when I take it on an empty stomach in the morning. But that's what the pills say to do? And by stomach upset I mean makes you use the bathroom a few times.

It seems if I take it during the day, my stomach feels better but I fear it won't absorb as well. Ugh.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi , Mine does it on that one and Synthroid really bad everyday I have a stomach ache and it continues the longer I'm on it the more my stomach stays upset and I also have trouble having a bowel movement it's horrible I hate being on this stuff. Your not alone.

• Posted

Yes. I used to take it with fruit and that seemed to help the stomach upset stuff a little.

The side effects increased and became so bad, I had to stop taking it.

• Posted

I'm was on a hundred of the Synthroid and today I finally stopped taking Synthroid and I'm going to my doctor in a little bit to see what he can put me on something different because this is making me feel out of it and very very sick

• Posted

I see some other replies have the same problem. My first reaction is see your doc tomorrow not the day after, allowing your levels to drop is far less than sensible. 

My personal approach to the receptionist would be URGENT, see any doctor, dont take no for an answer. This is my personal opinion but ask you doc after (obviously) if this is reasonable.

It may be the carrier compound around the tablet that you react to. I understand its quite difficult to manufacture, we are all different but if you need thyroxine you really need it, SEE you doc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.