lichen sclerosis

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi I have recently been dyagnozed with Lichen Sclerosis, and have been advised to wair only cotton underwear. I'm having trouble finding briefs that don't hurt my crotch. Someone suggested I try the Sloggy brand, and have done this. Although they fit in every other way, when it comes to the crotch area, I find they are very tight, and become very painful! I've even tried a bigger size, but to no avail! Can someone please help?  Sory to be so personal, but i'm at my wits end, and hardly go out because of this.  Thank you in anticipation.  Val.

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Had that same problem a few years ago. Found some at WalMart but they don't have that kind anymore. My Lichen Schlerosus cleared up eventually in that area, so hang in there. It will become less painful in time. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Selena! Thanks, but apparently i've had it for a few years and didn't know. When I saw the gyney on Tuesday, she told me I could have this for life, and it was she who told me about wearing loose cotton underwear.  Val.
    • Posted

Yes, I read up on that too (about loose clothing, no spandex etc) My LS flares every now and again. I have to catch it on the first of it with Clobetasol. My worst case is that I have LS all over my abdomen, groin and underarms, even breasts and the itch is unbearable from time to time. Got it controlled somewhat by an ointment that my dermatologist recommended. I was a composite of three different ingredients and it'w working great....but it's not for the vaginal area. I went undiagnosed for years too. So I have been suffering for 15 to 16 years since diagnosis. It's a horrible disease and it robs us of pleasures of life. Good luck.

• Posted

I have it everywhere you have it too! I have some on my upper back too. The main thing I use is Desitin.
    • Posted

I am so sorry to read about how much you have been suffering with for so long.  I wish I had caught mine sooner but it's not like I ever heard anything about anything like this before  until I started reading forums or I still might not have gone to a Dermotologist.  Thank goodness I did but I still found what is working for me on my own with the help of  these type of forums. Everyone contributes and we learn. 
    • Posted

Yes, I have it in the middle of my back too. Sometimes it is unbearably itchy, but right now it's not. This is a horrible disease!!!
    • Posted

Yes, the same is true for me. I have learned a great deal on here and even if I did not, it is comforting to know that others will share with us and that helps!

Doctors know very little about this disease.

• Posted

Hi Selena, and all!  I found this forum by accident, and have found everyone so nice and helpful.  Its so good to know your not the only one who suffers from this horrible disease. I sometimes get things which are like blisters and are very sor round my bekini and top of inside legs near crotch which are very sore itchie and red.  Val.
    • Posted

Yep. I get them too. Had a biopsy just a couple of months ago. No cancer though. Sometimes the rase gets irratated with clothing or even after hair removal. Then blisters form. Happy that you found us on here.

• Posted

Hi Selina, I get a very itchy back too.  I always have a good scratch with my back scratcher, which is a rough sponge-type contraption on a stick!!  Whenever I complain about it to my doctor, I am told to moisturise my back!!  This doesn't make any difference by the way and I don't have anyone to put on the cream for me, as my husband works abroad!  Good luck anyway!
    • Posted

Yep, I use the back scratcher too. smile Moisturize as well. I am doing well now after a few weeks on prednisone. I had a nasty skin rash and blistering, so the doctors put me on that to clear it up and it did. Now I have leg pain. I don't know if that is a side effect of the drug or not. Can't win!

• Posted

When hubby not available to assist I put the moisturiser on the door frame (previously cleaned) and rub my back on that.  Be careful though.  I must have the cleanest door frames He He!!!!
  • Posted

It depends where you are. In Australa, there is no shortage of cotton underwear. There are cheap brands and also Bonds. Boxer shorts are another option. Wear none around the house if you are wearing a dress. Or with a nightie for bed you do not need panties. 
    • Posted

I have to wear pants as otherwise the coconut oil seaps through everything!  Am I the only person who has this problem?  I have just had to order, as recommended by someone on this forum, some short-legged pants.  My husband said the bloomer-type ones would be "a bit over the top" so I got the next best thing.  They are German and I got them from Amazon!
  • Posted

Val, as far as I know this never goes away but can be kept under control. Mine did a lot of damage before I realized I even had it... so  when having a Dermo. look at it and say what I had figured already she was surprised I had found something to control it that wasn't a medication. I have discomfort everyday but nothing like you and I have had mine for years.  I had intense itching and the first few years I used Vagisal... unfortunately it numbed it and I didn't realize it was doing the damage it was. I just thought things were dry because of my age.  So do what you can to get it under control. I use as I posted before Organic Cider Vinegar mixed with water and mist it on from a very small spray bottle. Also I use Emu oil... both of these I found out about after reading about others who have the same problem. I hope this helps and you get some relief. Warm washcloths help soothe in my case.
    • Posted

Hi! Yes this is what my gyny told me on Tuesday that it would never go away. i'm 65 will be 66 in July. As I said in my post, apparently i've had it for a few years and didn't even know. Like you, I thought it was dryness due to my age.  I don't wear panties when in the house, but finding it difficult to get any loose enough for my crotch.  What do you do?  Thanks again for taking the time to reply.  I also find that the inside of my legs up near the crotch get very sore and dry.  Val.
    • Posted

I am just a year older than you Valerie. I don't have problems with anything touching me now but do go without sometimes at night not often anymore. the remedies I said above have taken most of the pain away. Please do something to help counteract it as it has done so much damage to me that I didn't even realize.  It just spreads in that area and you lose skin and it can be very disfiguring if you don't get it under control.  I wear a light pad and since I use the Emu oil now it helps so it doesn't get on anything.  Also when I spray with the Vinegar it keeps my underwear dry. I hope this helps.

• Posted

Me too. I have to keep changing my underwear and wearing loose fitting cotton housecoats whenever I am staying at home. I wear cotton in everything, as much as I can find. 3 percent spandex isn't too bad with cotton, but more than that, I itch terribly. I am 70.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.