Lichen sclerosus

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Lichen sclerosus when i was 8 months pregnant. not sure if this was a case of my hormones acting up or not but I definitely didnt experience it before the pregnancy. it's been a yeah and a half of pain and discomfort and today is particularly a difficult day for me, probably the worst so far. i hav ea husband that is so supportive and patient but  i long for the person i was before all of this happened. my doctors have only prescribed two creams, one has made it worse, the other seemed to work for a couple of months but i have a flare up and a tear that i think is infected (woke up to an abcess at the most itchy point ). Has anyone out there been diagnosed during prgnancy? has anyone had an abcess where there is the sclerosus? has anything worked for you? Feeling so alone and in dire need of support.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hang in there! I had LS through two pregnancies, but I had a better experience than what it sounds like you're dealing with. Look through this board and find "An experiment with Borax"

It has been a huge game-changer for many people on here, myself included.

Good luck!

• Posted

Just wanted to tell you you are not on your own hon, there are hundreds of us who's lives have been blighted by this dreadful condition . That's why this forum is a Godsend, we truly understand what each other are going through. I have learned far more here than at any hospital ! So sorry to hear you are having such a painful miserable time at the moment bless you. Keep going back to the Dr or gynae particularly as you have an abcess. As for the rest of the area , unless you are already doing so - protect the skin from urine. I spray water with a little bicarb in it after every wee and apply a barrier cream called Hydramol which moisturises and protects the skin. You can put this on 30 mins after the steroid cream. Sugar is a big deal for a lot of us, causing flare ups. I have proved it does for me too only recently so have a look at that and see if reduction in use helps. More than anything I didn't want you to feel alone, we've all felt that way in the past. This community is here for you and we care. Good luck, let us know how you get on xx

• Posted

Hi Caroline, thanks so much for these tips. I have cut down on sugar tremendously over the last two weeks, coupled with the cream I was given and feel a lot better.  The abcess has disappeared after some antibiotics as well. Thank you for your kind words, I was uplifted xx
  • Posted

Hi N.  Oh u poor thing.  This sounds horrible.  I was diagnosed only after having my children.  My gynae recommended DERMOVATE.  Is this one of the creams that you are using, it gives me instant relief? 
    • Posted

Hi Janet, yes this is one of the creams I'm using, the doctor insisted i use it twice a day for two weeks and then once a week thereafter. I found when i took one tablet of diclufan with it, i got relief quickly. I am however looking for more natural ways of releif and will share as soon as I have

• Posted

Hi so sorry for you all l can tell you what works for me. I rinse myself with tea tree oil 4 drops in a cup of warm water after a few min l put manuka active + 10 honey on yourself give it a few min it has healed me its on going but unlike the creams it make your it heals hope lve been some help
    • Posted

Thank you Ann! I love this as I am looking at more natural options and will be definitely trying this. Please clarify the part of "10 honey" ? xx

• Posted

I would suggest a warm bath with either baking soda (1/3 cup) or borax (1/6 cup)  I'm almost certain that it will give you comfort and helps with the healing of the abcess.  This is actually how I discovered that baking soda was fighting LS as well.  My mother used it for infections that didn't want to heal for instance.  And I was afraid that damaged skin would infect. 

• Posted

Thank you @hanny32508 ,  I'll be trying this for sure as well as the damamged skin did get infected and i ended up with the abcess..so painful. Thanks again xx

• Posted

Hi there..I usually dont post to forums but I had a strong feeling to share my story.. I have had lichen sclerosis for many years now. Some flare ups have been so bad that I was in tears. Intimacy with my husband was pretty much non-existent. All my gyno could do was prescribe me clobetasol a steriod ointment and even sometimes that didn't even work. I have tried coconut oil etc..Nothing seemed to help

Last year I was given a health drink called zeal to try..It is full of vitamins and antioxidants. What I didn't know was this product had an all natural anti-inflammatory agent one that I knew of was beets.. I have used this product for over a year now and not once have I had a flare up or itchiness etc...my dr says my skin looks so good and hubby is happy

If you wanna chat please do so as I seem to have my life back

• Posted

Thank you for writing about anti oxidants.  Most helpful. 

​I was wondering - do you still use the clobetasol?

• Posted

No i havent had to use clobetasol in over a year since I have been drinking the zeal I drink 2 times a day
    • Posted

Do you do anything else, like using baking soda and/or borax rinses and baths?  And what about diet?

• Posted

I used to take a baking soda bath 2 twice a day but havent had to in over a year so no i dont use anything else 😀 As for my diet nothing has changed at all. I eat a ton of yogurt though.

I can totally give you the website to do a little research of the drink that I take

• Posted

Please do. I'm interested in what you are drinking.  Has to be by private message I suppose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.