lichen sclerosus and hysterectomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

i was diagnosed with lichen sclerosus in 2007. I have constant itching, breaking of the skin and regular UTI's and Thrush.  I do treat with ointments and use aqueous cream to wash.  I have been told i need a hysterectomy, and after undergoing an abdominal scan ( internal scan would be painful), the doctor seemed to think that a vaginal hysterectomy would be the best option. My concern is that this might aggrivate my lichen sclerosus. Has anyone else with my condition had a vaginal hysterectomy?  If so, were there any post surgery complications?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello

I had a hysterectomy and I think this increased outbreaks of LS.  I wouldn't have one unless absolutely necessary.  The longer you can keep oestrogen in the body the better it is for LS.  I didn't have a choice as I had peritonitus. The hystectomy saved my life.  But after, I had that, I ended up getting breast cancer and LS.  I am sure there is a connection between breast cancer and eostrogen.  Anyway, the BC is ok for now, but LS is rampant!

The pain of this is unbearable right now!  If I were you, I would get another opinion.

• Posted

Hi, i had ovarian cists and had my ovaries removed at the age of 28. Since then i have been on HRT, but unfortunately a year after i was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid (yippee!!) I have had a host of prob's since the op' and feel this is the way forward. I will definitely discuss further options with my gyn consultant before making a decision i see him on Jan 7th. I do hope they can help you with your BC. Have you tried using Aqueous cream when washing?  I find this can be less irritating on the LS. It's  cheaper than a perscription.
  • Posted

My ls was diagnosed after total hysterectomy which I think sent my ls into overdrive. Looking back though I realise I had ls probably in my early 20's. I would definitely agree get another opinion as my abnormal smears that were pre-cancerous indicators were probably due to the qls not cancer that we worried about at the time, others on this site have mentioned abnormal smears too. I would of had the hysterectomy anyway as I had severe endometriosis which became unbearable in menopause but had I not I now would have felt I had had an unnecessary op. On the plus side I no longer have to bear the indignity of smear tests as I have no cervix to test. Q
  • Posted

Hi,

i had a TAH 3 years ago (kept my ovaries) and the LS started after the TAH. I'm now 45. 

Is there any reason why you can't have a TAH? I know gyne's nowadays like to do the laparoscopic vaginal method as the recovery is suppose to be faster/easier. 

I would suspect going this route would aggravate the LS due to the trauma of the surgery but I guess that would depend on how bad and to what extent the LS is. 

For me I found my gyne is not looking after my LS and it's the dermatologist looking after it. Does your gyne look after your LS? Can the gyne give you an opinion? Also if it's a dermatologist looking after your LS perhaps ask for their opinion.

Samantha 

• Posted

I will definitely go in asking more Q's before going ahead with the suggested surgery.  They were made aware of my LS when i went to my appointment in November. I have a consultant Dermatologist i see several times a year. I will suggest Gyn and Dermatology discuss my LS before making any decisions. You would think they would do this as a matter of course!??                                                                          

Jo.

• Posted

Hi Jo,

in my case they don't cross paths... My gyne only likes to deal with internal structure/function whereas my dermatologist says she looks after the skin. I try and keep them both abreast of what the other says when I've seen each but they both have the attitude that they are dealing with different issues.

good luck and keep us updated.

Samantha 

• Posted

I developed LS after a hysterectomy at 59 having never had any previous gyny issues. Could have been the bodies reaction to invasive surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.