Lichen Sclerosus Diet

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone. I am 19 and have LS for a few years. I managed to get it mostly under control using coconut oil and clob. I have to use dilators regularly to maintain good sex  otherwise things tighten and it's extremely painful. At the moment I have just finished a course of BV and thrush treatment as I seemed to have both and things were very painful and i haven't been able to have sex for a while. 

I'm starting back up on clob daily for a month etc and am going to try integrate dilators into my daily routine to maintain keeping my vagina less tight. However, I have seen many posts about different diets and cutting out various things such as gluten, dairy etc. 

If you have tried any of these could you let me know how they went. Or comment on any suggestions? As I am quite intrigued and tempted to give one of these a go to see the effects. 

Many thanks and I hope everyone is doing well. 

Kasia :-)

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kasiaj I must say I am starting to think that diet and stress have a lot to do with LS flare ups.  It also seems lots of us get BV - I got this for the very first time when I was first diagnosed with LS a year ago. I think given changes to my own symptoms if this also comes and goes with LS. Do you find that your perinium area is tight as well?  This is the most uncomfortable part for me - it feels tight and burns.  I am reluctant to put too much steroid there as the skin looks thin and like it is going to break. I would love to hear from others that have this part effected and what they do for comfort.  

• Posted

Hi Jess. I agree with the diet and stress comment. It seems many women find these affect their condition. I read somewhere we are very prone to BV because bacteria love broken/damaged skin and of course we have that and the balance of bacterias in the vagina can easily be altered anyway, so it's extremely easy for us! My perineum area does not burn like you say but is the area which gets tight and difficult to have sex. I cannot help with giving any advice as I have not had it that the skin has gone particularly thin there. I have had it break near the opening of the vagina when attempting intercourse etc. but can only suggest dilators for that. Sorry I am not much help. Take care
  • Posted

Have you eliminated sugar? Sugar feeds inflammation; I think thats the first issue to address diet wise. I myself plan to also go gluten free for a time to see if that helps. I just had a flareup AGAIN and had been increasing my sugar intake, I had a sweating episode (very bad for me) and I was stressed, Hense a flareup. I find stress is a huge issue too. Tough for me cause I am an intense, sensitive person.
  • Posted

Hi kasiaj , I have just had an episode of thrush and bv 4 weeks ago , I think the steroid alters our bacteria causing thrush , so it's like going round in circles , after I treated the thrush I started bk on the steroid and after 2 weeks use I think I have thrush again , waiting on swab confirmation of this !! I don't know what to do because if I'm gonna keep getting thrush while using the steroid I seem to be going round in circles and cannot seem to get out of a flare , I'm also I retested in changing my diet to see if it helps , at the minute I just have burning and my skin is sore to touch , hope I don't get the fusing and all the rest that goes with ls
    • Posted

That's supposed to be interested in changing my diet !
    • Posted

Google Candida... I don't believe the steroids are causing you these problems,  I think it's too much sugar in your diet, sugar causes Candida, which in turn can give you vaginal and sometimes oral thrush, which then gives you a Lichen Sclerosis flare up.  I had a hard time accepting this to be true, some things you just don't want to accept... 
    • Posted

To add to the candida discussion; I had some yeast detected in my blood and I was told to take probiotic twice a day for a month to clear it. Sugar feeds candida so it's important to seriously restrict sugar and reduce carbs.
    • Posted

Hi guppy , I've heard that sugar can feed thrush also so after my first bout 4 weeks ago I cut out sugar , no sugar on cereal or any sweet things , the only sugars I might be eating may be in bread etc which is hard to find things that don't have sugar in , but really cut out a lot of sugar but I think I got thrush again a few days ago , it's hard to know because before I got ls and started the steroid I havnt had thrush in years , my doc told me the steroid leaves us more inclined to get thrush so you'd be gone mad trying to figure it all out and what to do right , thanks for the info going to try cut out all hidden sugars also
    • Posted

Hi sandra what form of prbiotics should we take and do you know can they be taken on a regular basis ?
    • Posted

He had a very expensive kind that I finished already and tossed the box. Sorry can't remember name. But he approved a kind I had at home because he was familiar with the company and has confidence in their products. Comes from TRUEHOPE and is called green bac probiotic supplement.
    • Posted

Oh ok so they are a tablet , wasn't sure if it was a drink or yogurt or something , thanks sandra
    • Posted

Yes they are tablets. And I think if you go to a health food store and ask for their best probiotic it should be helpful. The higher the count of strains of bacteria, the better, is my understanding.
    • Posted

Unfortunately many Carbohydrates turn to sugar.   Last year I had a similar problem, but I had vaginal and oral thrush, and because of this I had a Lichen Sclerosus flare up, and Oral lichen planus flare up in my mouth, this was a bad situation, to be honest, as Systemic Candida can be a serious and difficult problem to eradicate, and is not something to be taken lightly, and so for a month I cut out everything that contained sugar whilst treating myself aggressively with an over the counter pill for thrush, which incidentally I took every three days, totalling three I think, I also had to take an oral mouthwash for the thrush.  After seriously tackling this problem full on, the thrush went, but I lost half a stone.   Taking a good probiotic is a good idea, but they are ridiculously expensive, and so why not try making your own probiotic drink, Water Kefir, which is actually better for you!! and once you have purchased the grains it costs nothing afterwards to make, and it's really delicious and this just might help stop re occurring problems.
    • Posted

Thanks guppy iv never heard of water kefir but il look it up , I know everyone is telling me iv got so thin lately , I havnt eaten anything sugary in a month and I can't afford to loose weight I'm already a size 6-8 , gosh il disappear if I give up carbohydrates , but I may have to consider it if I can't rid d the thrush , thanks
    • Posted

Thank you for all your comments. I will definitely be trying to cut out sugar - sounds like it is a definite affecting factor of LS. Thank you all again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.