Lichen sclerosus new to condition I was told after a vaginal exam that I hadn't lichen sclerosus

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was told after vaginal exam at 53 years old that I have Lichen Sclerosis.

They did 4 biopsies of my vaginal tissue and rectum. I don't know how I got this but I used to have herpes or I still do but you used to have a lot of breakouts. I'm not sure if the scarring from that is what happened. I was told it could lead to cancer and that it was very important that I wore the cream on my vulva every night. Are you kidding me no one wants to hear that crap. What to do

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm 20 and have Lichen sclerosis I was diagnosed last year, doctors aren't sure what causes lichen sclerosus but that it may come from trauma or if you have other auto immune diseases, I have psoarisis so I think I may have got it due to this. Normally you will be told to reduce the amount you use the cream, I only use it about once a week now and I use coconut oil whenever I feel abit itchy
    • Posted

Trauma or autoimmune disease. Is it autoimmune disease HIV?
    • Posted

HIV is an immune depressing disease. auto immune is like psoarisis, thyroid problems and things like that 
  • Posted

Herpes is a viral infection. Once it affects a nerve path there is a high chance of reoccurance ( think of cold sores that frequently return )

Lichen Sclerosis is an auto immune condition. The bodies immune system 'attacks' it's own tissues. The cause is unknown, however there could be a relationship with long term stress, allergies, hormone changes, recurrent infections. 

as with all long term inflammation there is a risk the condition becomes malignant; in the case of LS, it is about 4%. However by using the potent steroid as directed it does reduce the chance considerably.

Changes to the lifestyle will also reduce the likelihood. That is manage stress, reduce sugar intake, take action to reduce infections, inflammation, and too much friction.

It is a good idea to watch the Dr Goldsteins webinar, details on the New to LS page on this site.

The more you know about the condition you will know what suits your body - the less you will worry 

There is a lot of very good advice on what you can do and what not to do, but everyone is different so it is a matter of trial and error

No one wants this condition, and there is a lot of support and helpful advice on this site

good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.