Life after gallbladder surgery

Posted , 23 users are following.

I had my gallbladder taken out in October last year,  as an emergency op. I had given birth two months prior that. I was going through a lot of stress as you all can imagine. Being a mum to a newborn for the 1st time and having to deal with also GB attacks at same time. For the people who had those, we know how horrendous the pain of a GB inflamed can be. There's no words to describe it, hours and hours of excruciating pain and the debilitating state that your body becomes after those attacks. 

I thought I wouldn't ever ever had to worry about anything after mine was taken out. But how wrong was I. I think I've had almost all post cholecystectomy side effects that you might get. Diarrhea weeks and weeks on end ( that was the only think that has settled completly) but I suffered for a while thinking that would never ever stop, nausea and gastritis, spasms of my gullet and chest, burning in my chest/ stomach and throat, bile reflux, acidic taste in my mouth, sensation of a lump in my throat and spasms in my back. 6 months since surgery and I still get some of these and more I now also have pain in my stomach after I eat ( bad indigestion and nausea) my question is - Have I ever going to be normal ? or I am just going to have more problems due to the fact I don't have a storage facility for my bile no more and is going in the stomach causing havoc in my digestive system. Please I need to stop worrying but it's impossible when you're feeling all of this symptoms still. I know that there wasn't a choice taking this organ out, for me it was giving me a chance to live but I have to say with much much less happiness. It's my baby daughter that gives me the strength to carry on.. Really. Thank you for reading. 😐

2 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My heart goes out to you.   GB pain is just about the worst I've ever experienced (and that's after going through two births!)

You must go back to your GP - there has to be something that can be done.   I take Omeprazole, once in the morning and once in the evening and for me I think that  helps greatly in avoiding the feeling of nausea and all that entails.    

I've only recently had my GB removed (8th April) and felt really unwell initially, feeling sick and being sick, dizzy etc.,   I still have very low energy, although that is slowly coming back.   

I don't know where you're located, but I'm from England, and I have to say I feel very much in the dark as to how to treat my body since my op.   I know a low fat diet needs to be followed initially, but then I read that people are eating all kinds of things which I would have thought not appropriate.

I'm sure you will get some good advice here from the others who perhaps have more knowledge on the subject.

I really wish you well Leni

• Posted

See if you can be tested for magnesium deficiency. If not try taking 250 mg a day. I went from 3 attacks a week to nothing for a month while eating pretty much anything. Mine is not out yet but it is helping my mom as well who is about 10 years post op and was still having many digestive issues (burping, bloating and diarrhea). It also stopped an attack that was just starting before i began taking it daily. It breaks down fats, carbs and proteins which we can all use help with
  • Posted

Hi Leni75 I had gallbladder attacks for 3 years and kept being turned away from the Dr with "excess acid" the attacks got progressively worse until I got pancreatitis because a gallstone came out of the gallbladder and blocked my pancreatic duct meaning the enzymes became active because they couldn't get to the liver and so they started to digest my pancreas. I spent a month in hospital and 4 months off work because the dr's kept fobbing me off, if they'd diagnosed it sooner I could have been saved the pain of pancreatitis!! They took my gallbladder away as a preventative measure and I also suffer with bile and acid reflux as well as diarrhoea. I am pleased that I no longer suffer the excruciating pain and after effects of gallstone attack but now I've got a whole host of different symptoms instead!! I understand how you feel!! Well done for soldiering on with having had your baby as well as the gallstone attacks and after effects of the surgery!!
  • Posted

Hi Leni I'm so sorry your still suffering and have new symptoms too. Like you I have had all the post op side effects and totally regret having the op 4 months ago. I haven't vomited in16 days thank god but still have the horrendous nausea all day long and also get that sick feeling after I eat too. I was on a ppi but felt that was making me worse so stopped taking it. Had I known this is what my life would be like after the op I would never have had it done and would have kept my gallbladder and stone. My gp keeps telling me it will settle as she's seen this before but I feel I will never be the same person again. I cry every day for my old life and wish I could turn back time but know there is nothing I can do now. You are not alone in what you are going through. There are a lot of people here going through post op issues too. I also have been getting pains the last few days where my gallbladder was which are similar to the gallstones pain!! The nightmare is never ending. I think there's a lot more people with removal side effects out there than we know and a lot of people with ibs symptoms post op who don't realise it's connected with the gallbladder removal. Constipation and diarrhea seem to be a long term side effect of this op. My bowel is definitely not the same as it was before. I hope that this nightmare ends for us all soon. Some people said it took them a year to get over it. I have come to realise that my life will never be the same again. Take care x
    • Posted

Hi Sweetheart!   Very worried about you!   Sorry your feeling so low, and still crying every day!   Wish i lived near you so that i could give you lots of hugs!   When this is finally over, you'll be glad that you got the g out.  Try to keep smiling!   Much love and hugs!   Please let me know how your going.   Val.
    • Posted

Thank you Val. I hope your right. I'm only 43 and feel my life is over thanks to this operation. All I keep hearing is that people have long term problems after this op. What's driving me mad is that I feel I shouldn't have had the op in the first place. I wish I had of persevered with it and tried alternative Treatments. I went by my surgeons advise to have it removed even though my gallbladder was functioning perfectly. He convinced me that the stone could get stuck over Christmas and that's why he did the op so quickly. I had my bowel removed when I was 22 due to ulcerative colitis and had a bag for 2 years. I coped really well with that as I had been so unwell before that. I then had it reversed and have had some issues over the years that I dealt with but this has really taken its toll on me. I only had the pain from the stone and now I feel a million times worse. What's killing me is that there's nothing I can do to change what's happened all I can do is hope I get better. Is there anyone out there that actually recovered fully from this op with no issues and went back to their normal lives?? I'm really starting to wonder. I am so tired of feeling this sick and not being able to eat much. Everyone is telling me I will get better but it's hard to see that when I feel so bad. Thank you for your kind words. I hope your doing ok too. X
    • Posted

No sweetheart your life is by no means over!   for such a young person, you've certainly been through the mill!   Believe me, there are some people who've come through this without any issues or problems (my nephew for one) he had a bit of the d and bloating for a few weeks, but apart from that, nothing!  He kept telling me, that everything would be ok, and the nosea would soon disappear, and i'd soon be able to eat almost anything!   As i've told you before, i still get the nosea, and when this happens, i'm so scared to eat!   I guess he's been one of the luckier ones, and they seem to be about!   Darling please don't loose heart, and remember, should you want to get things off your chest, send me a private message via this forum.   Darling i'm always here for you, and think about you a lot.   Love and lots and lots of big hugs!   Val.  xxxx
    • Posted

Thank you so much Val. Your very kind and thoughtful. I am just finding it hard to see a way out of this nightmare and just want my life back so badly. I have a 4 and a half year old who needs his mam back. I feel I will never be the same again. X
  • Posted

Hi leni 

what do you eat ? Hidden fats in food can hurt you xxxxx

• Posted

I think all of us have to realise we must eat differently. As said previously I've been overweight all my life I'm 60 soon and diets came and went lost some put it back on got mad with myself etc etc etc. 

i know now that I MUST eat sensibly no matter how I hate to give up what I love but I must. I'm going to research healthy goodies to replace my bad stuff and tell myself these last years I have remaining must be my best and hopefully pain free. 

If anyone has any ideas on this and healthy eating please share , perhaps start a sharing menu ?? 

• Posted

Hi like the rest of you I to would like to know more re a low fat diet I am still getting over a stay in hospital from pancreatitis and have been told I need to have my gallbladder removed but after reading some of these post I am terrified I will have more problems by having it removed if any one knows of any good books or web sites to help with low fat diet please let me know
    • Posted

Hi Charlotte,

Sorry to hear you had pancreatitis. Is your gallbladder inflamed and do you have stones? The only advise I can give you is to try a naturopath to try alternative medicines to see if you can avoid the surgery. It's the biggest regret I have. I wouldn't like to see anyone else go through what I am and have been going through for the last 4 months. Anything is worth a try. Good luck. X

• Posted

Hi Gill,

If you like a treat that is low fat you can eat meringues. I have it with low fat icecream. You can also eat jelly and jellied based sweets.

• Posted

Thanks for that  not seen low fat ice cream but I love jelly and creme fresh. What other sweet tweets do you have as I'm more a pudding girl than a meal. ( pudding in shape too hehehe ) though I have lost 6lbs now through the diarrea ! Stitches out today too xx
    • Posted

Hi Gill. I got my icecream from tesco healthy living range. It's caramel flavour and very nice. You can also eat fruit loaf and teacakes which I have instead of a sandwich. Low fat Philadelphia cheese is nice with tinned pineapple on wholemeal bread as well for lunch or a jacket potato.

There is information on gallbladder diet on this site which is where I found out I can eat meringue.

I tend to look for things with less fat as high fat tends to make me feel sick. I have still been able to eat quite a few things that I used to just switched to a lower fat option.

Hope your tummy is a bit better today.

• Posted

Bad start to day diarrea!! But stopped now just mornings at moment went and had my stitches out and one wound is not too great they said I'm to watch it. And didn't have any information on what to eat in fact she didn't seem bothered. Can't win can we. Thank you for your meal ideas will look for the ice cream. It's a small price to pay for no pain I know it I love food so am a bit sad at the thought of giving up my fav foods oh well xxxxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.