LIFE AFTER PULMONARY EMBOLI

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I suffered multiple pulmonary embolisms whilst on holiday in America. My symptoms were extreme shortness of breath and lightheadness and extreme fatigue. I thought I had jet lag at first but when I found it difficult to even leave the hotel because I needed to sit every few paces I realised it was something serious. I am asthmatic but this was entirely different. I taxied to a clinic who immediately called paramedics who took me to hospital. Luckily I had really good insurance cover. I spent 2 weeks in hospital with a Heparin drip and 24 hour oxygen. Tests showed there were several embolism which had travelled deep into my lungs. A nurse came out from England and accompanied me home using oxygen throughout the flight. It was pretty scary at the time. I got off the plane and was met by a chaffeur driven limo who took me directly to hospital in England. I spent 9 months on warfarin and now three years on have managed to carry on with my life virtually as before. I have a wheelchair which I take most places. I get very short of breath after walking just a short distance unless I have some sort of support. I have oxygen equipment at home. I still enjoy an active social life although need to plan well ahead. Incidentally, I am 65 years old. I no longer fly anywhere because of the risk of repeat embolisms but go on regular holidays and have now found the joy of cruises.

My advice to anyone who has any unusual shortness of breath, dizziness, fatigue..... is seek immediate medical help..... it will save your life.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It is scary I had multiple clots just 2 weeks ago I am on warferin for the rest of my life now

But I am feeling very tired at the mo but I also have ME and lots of other things but I was not

To scared while in hospital but now home I have bad anxiety about it !!and I am female and 69

Any advice welcome as no one tells you how to cope at home x

• Posted

I was diagnosed in December with multiple pulmonary emboli after having a hysterectomy and 2 weeks later an Appendectomy for a rupturing appendix. I am 45 and a nurse in a pediatric ER but was in denial for several days having shortness of breath before my doctor sent me to the ER. I am so blessed that I recovered quickly and never was put on oxygen (although I had hypoxia symptoms for the first week in the hospital and they kept saying an oxygen saturation of 91% was fine). I went back to work 2 weeks ago and did fine the first week but now I'm having periods of mild chest pain and shortness of breath that comes and goes. My hematologist said as long as it goes away to sit on it. It sure makes me nervous because before I returned to work I wasn't having anymore symptoms like I did the first month home from the hospital. I do think a contributing factor is catching a cold from all the sick kids I work with. I've been trying to search for others who have experienced this to know if it is expected to continue to have symptoms after the initial recovery period. After getting home on Coumadin my INRs were unstable so I've been taking Xarelto with no problems.
  • Posted

Thx for sharing your story. I noticed this happened a few years ago and you are still having problems. Don't the clots dissolve over time (6mos or so)?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.