Life and death struggle to fall asleep

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just before I fall asleep into the blissful abyss that is sleep, my body freezes up, my eyes go wide, I can't move or make a sound, but most frightening of all, I can't breath! I am wide awake and i know exactly what is happening to me, I see everything that is going on, but there is noting i can do for about three seconds. Then, as suddenly as happens, my body jerks and I'm sucking in air again. This happens over and over and over, every time I'm just about to fall sleep, until it just doesn't and I'm able to sleep.

My doctor has no explanation, my insurance will not cover a sleeping test and I'm running out of sanity. This has been going on for close to five years now. Five years of maybe getting three to four hours of sleep a night As a single mother of three, sleep is precious to me and the only type of vacation I can afford.

Somebody out there has to have an idea of what the hell this is called and a way to make it stop. Please, I'm begging for help..

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi RiverKat

?It does sound like it could be an apnea type of episode especially with the gasping for air. I was experiencing the same symptoms and had to really push my doctors in the UK to send me for a test. I am witing some initial results now.

The test they gave me was to wear an overnight pulseoximetry monitor which measures your pulse and oxygen saturation levels whilst asleep. I think initially they look at if there are any events during the night where your oxygen levels drop and your pulse rate lowers and rises then this is enough to wake/semi wake you. I dont think this test is a definitive answer to diagnose sleep apnea but it is a start point that they seem to use.

?If you are unable to get these tests done your only option may be to purchase one of these monitors yourself. I brought a Contec C50 E pulse oximeter for £56 off amazon. This came with the ability to record yourself over night and some software to check and print your results. These results could then be used to push your case for further tests. Failing that ask about and see if anyone has one you can borrow for a couple of nights.

?I have used one for a couple of nights and even though I experience the same symptoms as you (even with this monitor on) mine has not really shown much up on the oxygen levels but has showed more up on the pulse side. I am not sure how it is all interpreted. You may be luckier/unluckier than me and obtain better results. I will let you know when I have get my results if I have it or not.

• Posted

Hi David,

Interesting to hear that your oxygen levels were OK, though that's what I would have expected. You say something has shown up "on the pulse side", but not what it was. Do you mean your pulse was rapid? If so, this would bear out the anxiety theory.

I hope you can get some relief from this.

• Posted

Thank you very much for your advice david, I had no idea we're available for purchase without a prescription. I will look into acquiring one and see what it can tell me. The fact that your pulse might have more to do wirh it than your oxygen has me worried now. My blood pressure is out of controll high.

• Posted

Hi RiverKat,

This sounds like a form of sleep paralysis to me. It's relatively common when waking up but can also happen when you're falling asleep. I've always had it in the more normal form - i.e. waking paralysed - but when I was going through a period of great stress in my life it also started to happen before I fell asleep.

Scary though it is, it won't harm you. I'm a former neuro nurse so know a little about the phenomenon from both ends. In normal sleep, we alternate between periods of dreaming and non-dreaming (regardless of whether we actually remember our dreams or not). During dreaming sleep - often referred to as rapid eye movement or REM sleep - the brain secretes a hormone to paralyse our voluntary muscles to stop us jumping up and acting out our dreams. In some individuals, this mechanism gets out of kilter, and the brain starts putting out the paralysing hormone just before we fall asleep or, more commonly, carries on for a few seconds after we wake up.

Normally we go into a long period of non-dreaming sleep at the start of the night, when we're not paralysed. This is is why the sleep paralysis phenomenon is much more common later in the night. However, extreme anxiety can disrupt the REM/non-REM rhythm and send us straight into REM, or dream, sleep as soon as we start to drop off. I know that was what was happening to me during my period of stress, as I have very good dream recall and knew they were starting immediately. Most people don't remember their dreams, but that doesn't mean they're not happening.

During sleep paralysis, we feel as if we can't breathe as the voluntary component of our breathing - the ability to take a deep breath at will - is paralysed. The autonomic part of breathing, which involves the diaphragm, continues to function during the paralysed phase, but because we can't consciously take a deep breath, it can feel as if we're not breathing at all.

It's very difficult to deal with problems like this, that are generated by stress and anxiety. In my case, the stress was down to having to cope single-handed, as an only child, with my mother's dementia, so it was sadly self-limiting. I'm guessing that being a single mother of three is pretty stressful too.

That being said, I still think it might be a good idea to follow David's suggestion and try to get hold of an overnight pulse oximeter if you can. This would reassure you that you weren't actually suffering from lack of oxygen during the night, and help to allay your fears. However, the fact that you eventually overcome the problem and sleep normally after a number of tries suggests in itself that there's no serious problem.

I confess that my own way of coping with it was to take a very small dose of antihistamines an hour or so before going to bed on nights when I was particularly anxious. The older types are better, as they make you sleepier than the more recently developed products. But it has to be the smallest possible dose, and needs to be taken at least an hour before bed, as it's not a knock-out solution and won't work at all if you wait till bedtime. If a small dose doesn't work, you shouldn't try a bigger dose. And antihistamines must not be taken every night, as they quickly lose their effect, just like prescription sleeping meds. They should be used for a couple of consecutive nights, to get a reasonable night's sleep, followed by a break of at least a week.

The other option is to ask whether your doctor will prescribe one of the older tricyclic groups of antidepressants. Amitriptyline and nortriptyline are examples of this group, but there are others. These drugs suppress REM sleep entirely, which would probably solve your problem. However, no medications are without side-effects.

I hope you can find your way out of this ongoing anxiety that is feeding back into itself every time you try and fall asleep. I know just how distressing this is.

• Posted

Lily,

Thank you for all your advice. It makes a lot of sense to me that stress and anxiety might have a large role to play in this. My husband passed away right before all this started. And as I told david, my blood pressure is extremely high.

The facts you've given me about it being safe don't ease me any though, I don't see myself being able to relax during one of these episodes even knowing that I'm still breathing lol but maybe my mind will be able to remember what you've said.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply and try to put me at ease smile

• Posted

What a terribly sad story. I hope you're getting some help for both your high BP and your anxiety, and that you have family members to support you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.