Life leading to PRM?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Used to be athletic, ran marathons, shorter races, triathlons, Ironman triathlons, became lazy after knees took long time to heel after a mountain marathon (2 years). Then pulled muscle and moved, lifting heavy boxes, put me still for another year, then my favorite dog got sick, we didn't go run like we used to. Built a house, very stressful, 88 year old father got mixed up with criminals, thinking he was helping them, he has start of dementia, young boy burned his house down, I couldn't sleep for years worrying about him, my husbands prostate cancer, and problems with my new house... The kicker was moving a bad woman out of my father's house from upstairs... I had to lift boxes, carry them down those stairs for probably 40 times, then drove home 6 hours away... My body was in adrenaline overload with stress that week (lawyers, doctors, police, ...)... 8 days later I got PMR.  

Do Yall think it contributed? Or just luck of the draw. Just curious. 

What were your experiences? 

3 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi layne, if I had a pound for everyone who recounts the most dreadful events of their life then says I think all this stress could have had something to do with my PMR, I'd be loaded! The truth is no one knows how or why this condition starts, but I like many on this website do believe that stress can trigger it's onset. But does it? Well we really don't know. 

Like your family crisis etc, these events put the most unbelievable strain on us because we care about our loved ones, and whilst we have PMR we have to let stress take a back seat because one thing is for sure, stress hinders our recovery.

i hope that everything with your family is now sorted and you can now put all your efforts into your recovery. All the best, christina 

• Posted

Hi Layne, I don't know whether or not stress can cause PMR but it sure as help doesn't help it. From what you said above, it seems you were the kind of person who pushed yourself hard  - and then along came a series of stressors that you just couldn't control and perhaps all this took it's toll eventually. I think I'm a similiar kind of person as yourself, very active, very demanding of myself - and along came a series of really stressful events that I could do nothing about, and all I did was  worry. Very disrupted sleep, ate badly, looked dreadful, lost weight etc. Then PMR struck one morning when I just couldn't get out of bed . . . And the party started! This was in July 2013 but am doing quite well now, down to 4.5mg. Pred. with osteoporosis meds. also. 

Try to stay positive, you could have been diagnosed with many conditions that are a lot worse. Accept that you'll have ups and downs and when having the 'downs', be nice to yourself (something I guess, like myself, you may need to learn!). Many contributers on this forum describe periods of stress prior to diagnosis. My conclusion is that, though not directly causal, stress can trigger the condition especially if there is a genetic predisposition to it. In my case there is a family history of auto-immune conditions - RA and Scleroderma - and I'm really glad I didn't develop either of those!!  PMR can be effectively treated, and for many is self-limiting ie. may burn itself out in a few years. 

Finally, stay in touch with this forum. You won't just get sympathy but very practical help and advice and, best of all, it's grounded in experience.  Kind thoughts, J

• Posted

Layne, I'm lost for words   I too don't know what causes PMR... I do believe the body can take just so much plus the mind and heart !! 

I do hope the best for you and your family. 

My prayers....

• Posted

Sounds very similar to my own situation, although I never ran marathons!

work family and farm always took precedent over my own concerns... Also had knee injuries lasting two years... Twice. 

I find I can work now if I allow myself rest time to equal work time and reducing Pred means increasing bed.

today I collected something for my granddaughter, two hours drive away... Finished figurines for daughters wedding cake shopped and had lunch in the garden. Washed three antique girls dresses and ironed them carefully.

last night I re-arranged my bedroom in order to make space to do alterations to wedding dress. I also cleaned the house downstairs.... My hair was soaked in sweat all day but today no sweat... Been taking Sage leaf capsuls to try and cure the head sweats.

i have had four one hour sessions asleep during the day and this afternoon took a two hour nap after lunch. It's at least half an hour after my normal bed time and I am feeling full of energy. Be kind to yourself.. Treat yourself like a toddler... Many naps and you will overcome this. Life has changed considerably for all of us. Between us we will find ways!

• Posted

I read your response to Laynetx. I also responded. I noticed you mentioned head sweats. Omg mine are awful, my only real issue right now. Gardening is the worst. I need a towel to keep myself dry, it's awful! Do the Sage leaf capsules work?
    • Posted

I have only been taking them for four days but yes, they seem to be easing the problem. No sweating at all today... My worst thing is vacuuming for some unknown reason.
    • Posted

Christine,

Just ordered the Sage capsules. How many do you take for the head sweats?

Pam

• Posted

I took two capsuls at night and one at breakfast because four a day was a bit too much and gave me an upset tum. I will know today if this is truly working if I do not get more than one outbreak...probably when I vacuume upstairs. Will keep you informed.
  • Posted

I've posted my issues in a previous link but here goes. I'm a 62 yr old female. Took up running when my husband was dying of lung cancer when I was 53. I made it through his death, got hooked up with a cheating boyfriend for over 4 yrs. at age 57, my father became sick and died of lung cancer, I took care of him. I was executor of his estate amidst sibling issues, bought the house, remodeled it as well as maintaining my other home. Got a terrible flu during my Dads funeral, tooth abscess etc.

I couldn't run for just plain too much to do and an ugly winter. I'd cycle during the summer! I was active but going downhill. I nearly went over the edge from stress that turned out to be overactive thyroid and PMR. The PMR didn't get diagnosed until 2013, 2 yrs later. Let's not forget I finally caught the cheating boyfriend. I've always been active, sports kept me off of Zoloft etc. I feel all of this is stress related. The body just couldn't take it anymore! My thyroid issues are gone but the PMR is still with me. I'm currently on 5 mg and will stay there for a while. 2 yrs now!

I must say I'm still active, last year I ran 3 or more 5k's. Now I have foot problems so I stopped. I still cycle, did 41 last Sat, and another 20 this week. I need 100 for the month for a bike challenge. If you can ride get out there! I live on a lake so I swim and kayak too! Fight it!

I think some of my aches and pains are just my age. Not all PMR related as many people think. I refuse to let it keep me down. Positive attitude must take place. If you need Pred then take it! I'm not dead, don't have cancer, and plan on driving my 4 grown girls crazy for a long time! I am more active than they are! This forum has opened my eyes to my issue, but I'm a fighter. Like they say, " what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

• Posted

Hi pam, good on you! Keep up the positive attitude. All the best, christina 
    • Posted

Bless you Pam.  Thanks for sharing (again, though new to me)! Wow, you have had stresses. So glad you are through a lot of that and got rid of that SOB boyfriend.  COOL goal of 100 miles on bike!  I plan to go get my bike out of storage (we've been building a home literally), but I probably need new tubes, wonder if I can still change a tire with my shoulder pain.

This forum is helping me so much! Just talking with others, and hearing others, a place to whine, yet also be positive, to support, to empathize, yet give each other cyber hugs.  Relating or not relating to what each is experiencing, just having more knowledge from REAL people!!!  I now feel blessed to have found y'all!!!  Yes, I'll TRY to be stronger too as YOU said!  wink 

I only found this forum (I'd been looking for a while) when I searched an odd phrase "Polymyalgia hurts when I squat"... !!!!  otherwise I had never seen this website! ha, ha, ha!

• Posted

I think stress weakens our immune system and makes us more susceptible to certain things.  I too have had my share of stress as probably have most of us.  My PMR came on gradually and I first started to notices big changes in the way I felt after my son developed sudden hearing loss at age 40.  It was devastating but after a year of doctors and tests with no results and answers we have all adjusted as best we can.  

June 2014 I first complained of pain in my lower back and March of 2015 started on prednisone.  

Since there are so many on this forum would it be beneficial in any way to set up a questionnaire so we could get a better insight about our similarities

and pass it on to a research lab if there is such a thing?  Just a thought..

• Posted

Yes Audrey, good idea. So many doctors don't have any idea how to treat their patients with Pred. They drop them down too fast and just don't seem to know what to do. I am going to have my Rhumy check out this forum. I've learned more on this than the stupid flyer he gave me on PMR!
    • Posted

Yes Pam and Audrey, I too thought how I wish someone would collect people's life histories incase there is some collective data leading to PMR.  Seems I've read low vit D also a common thread. I used to be in sun a lot, so I was surprised my D was low, but been indoors last 2 years I guess.  Also, thyroid, I'm hypo, and have Hoshimoto's... Could those be involved? 

Ive read infection could be cause, but I don't think I had infection, though that week of dealing with lawyers and hospitals and all I had food poisoning!!! My body shook as if my adrenaline was totally on over load as I drove 6 hours to the city where my family lives.

• Posted

I just had blood work done and yes my Vit D was low. I live at the lake, I'm outside a lot, occasionally even sit out and enjoy it. Hard to figure that out!

My Rhumy told me that this is likely a DNA related issue. Probably someone in my family had an autoimmune disease. Yes, my mother had Waldensdrone syndrome. Sp? My daughter was diagnosed with Crohns at age 30, also an autoimmune disease. He said many times you get more than one autoimmune disease. I had my Graves' disease (overactive thyroid) and PMR at the same time. Thyroid was a temporary condition I guess. No more issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.