Life with bells palsy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ive had it will be 5 years febuary & I haven't been able to find any doctors to help me. I can't smile 😔 I'm so depressed since I got it. I was 5 mths pregnant with my daughter and it's like I don't like to take pictures and I'm sad she will never get to see me smile the right way. I just feel so broken

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How are you doing?  I am still the same, eye twitches, now twitches around my mouth, crooked smile, etc.  The last time I was on here I thought about Botox but didn't follow through.  This past 3 months I had weekly massage with healing touch, maybe that is when all nerve activity became more active?

• Posted

The twitching is synkenisis.  It is a miswiring of nerves following paralysis.  Botox will stop it but needs to bedone every 3 months.
  • Posted

I totally understand what you are going through. Stay encouraged and I hope it heals soon.
  • Posted

I can totally understand how youfeel.  I have had BP for three and a half years now and it doesn't get any easier. I see strangers giving me a second look. All my friends say that I look just the same to them and that I'm the same person. Trouble is I am not the same person. I have to make a very determined effort to carry on regardless. I hate photos of myself and hate being photographed. We are members of several clubs and when group photographs are taken I know that the ones I am in will probably not be published. I'm not feeling sorry for myself it's just a fact!

on the positive side I love my yoga and try to find time to practice mindfulness and relaxation. I have just bought a little face massager from the Body Shop and thought I would give it a try for a few weeks. I have had acupuncture but it didn't really have much affect. 

My advice to you Mary is don't give in to it, keep trying new stuff to try to improve your condition, but get on with life and " Smile a crooked smile".....

• Posted

I know it sucks but there is probably not much that  can be done.  Don't be depressed, it won't help.  Massage your face and hang in there.  If you can, see a physical therapist that specializes in Bells Palsy.  It is a specialty that not all physical therapists do.  There are exercises that you can do to help the muscles. If your eye is bigger or smaller there are plastic surgeons that can help but it has to be a opthamalic plastic surgeon.  I have had 3 procedures done on my eye. I still have BP after 3 years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.