lifting after gallbladder removal

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed by laparoscopic procedure this past Thursday.  I'm a single mom of a 3 year old. My mother kept my daughter for me the night of the surgery and the next night, and I got her back on Saturday morning.  I've been picking her up and carrying her around since then.  Does anyone know if that will cause any damage?  I'm assuming if it doens't hurt too bad to carry her (she's about 30 lbs) then it should be okay.  Anyone else in this situation and know?  I just can't not pick her up, but I suppose I could limit it if I really needed to.

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

Hi,

We had our GB out on the same day wink  I was told not to lift anything heavy for several weeks - so my advice is not too lift your daughter for a while - although it is day surgery there is still quite a bit of internal scarring that you don't want to damage.

"The Colorado Springs Surgical Associates recommends not lifting any weight over 20 pounds from four to six weeks after a laparoscopic procedure. Lifting too much weight can cause a hernia at the umbilical incision."

Hope that helps and you recover soon!

• Posted

Thanks. I didn't know it could cause a hernia.  I googled umbilical incision hernia to get more info.  I think I'll do my best to limit carrying her from here on out.  Thanks again.

• Posted

As someone who had incisional umbilical hernia repair and recently had gallbladder removed. I wouldn't even chance picking her up. Surgeries both laproscopic happened 3 months apart.

• Posted

When I had my gallbladder removed the same way I went to work a week later.  My job was working in receiving where some of the freight was over two hundred boxes all sizes over 50 lbs. If you can hold her and it doesn't hurt that bad it should be ok. Just listen to your body , take it easy at first.  It just hard to ran after them.
  • Posted

A lot of people don't have the luxury of not lifting anything. I had a one year old and 2 older children at the time if the op. My husband couldn't just take off 6 weeks to lift my toddler! I had to get on with it. As you daughter is older you should be able to tell her you cant carry her much as you're healing.
  • Posted

Hi Elaine,

Just out of interest I googled your question regarding weight and this came up :-

Considerations

Each surgeon has his post-surgical protocol. It is important to precisely follow his instructions to ensure a smooth healing process. If you question whether something is too heavy to lift, talk with your doctor and first get his opinion. When in doubt, do not lift anything heavier than a glass of water without approval.

I also have copied the literature given to me upon leaving the hospital (Ramsay Healthcare) Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy (Post discharge advice).

"Avoid standing for too long and don't do any strenuous activity - this includes heavy lifting for four weeks".

Ofcourse I understand you have a little one to look after but as you mentioned you could limit lifting if need be.  

Best wishes x

• Posted

You are not supposed lto lift for 3 weeks if keyhole surgery and 6 weeks if bigger op

They shuld have told you this when they discharged you.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.