Ligation and Stripping of Great Saphenous Vein (GSV) plus Femoral Hernia

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I'm a 51 year old woman, sadly 52 soon lol.

Eight days ago, as far as I know, I had 'high ligation' of the Great Saphenous Vein (GSV) + stripping below of the knee of the GSV + was told after the operation that I also had had a Femoral Hernia which they also had operated on.

I have a 6cm cut at the groin; my leg is bandaged up from the foot up passed the knee (not all my leg), which is to stay on until I go back to the hospital on the 9.1.17. I was on antibiotics when I left the hospital for 5 days and since then still taking Xarelto 10mg blood thinner, once a day, for 3 weeks, because of the femoral hernia I had had. I am going to clarify exactly what part of GSV if all or part off was taken out on the 9.1.17.

All I can see of my leg so far is the thigh which is swollen and some nasty looking bruising just above the bandages. I'm walking but slowly, just for small distances. I soon feel it when I over doing it; my leg starts to feel like it pulling inside; I have to stop. The cut at the groin also makes moving awkward. Everything is in slow motion lol. I used to be so nimble on my feet, never the person to sit down, always on the go, into sports, gym etc..... I have now even started taking the Xarelto mid afternoon as I realized that also making me more tired, by 4pm everyday I in need of a nap lol.

I have had varicose veins for years. I reckon brought on by pregnancy, work (long hours standing) and perhaps even from the hernia? Plus my dad had both legs stripped so guess its partly hereditary. This my 2nd operation. My first was just a small operation, I was around 25 years old, same lower leg. Now was the bigger operation. The skin around my ankle had discoloured and my foot looking pretty blue, not looking good! They told me the valve at the Saphenofemoral Junction was completely a gonna.

Anyone else had the same sort of procedure?

How long was the recovery?

Did your leg swell?

Marianna

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marianna,

I had ligation and stripping of the saphenous vein in my left leg. I'm male and only 24 years old but my left leg ended up in some state after first seeing development of a varicose vein when I was only around 16 years old. I suspect this is hereditary or from an biking accident I had at a youngish age that damaged the vein high up in my leg. 

After my operation in June I was very sore for weeks, felt the same pulling feeling as you are feeling but you just need to keep the leg moving and eventually it will heal. It may take up to a month to feel back to normal again or even longer but after over 6 months my leg feels fully back to normal (although there is some weird numb pain but apparently that can be a long term side affect) but in general I feel fully recovered. 

You won't regret your decision once it is fully healed just try and be patient but make sure you are trying to walk everyday for some time to keep the blood flowing. 

• Posted

Hi cd1967

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

I clarified with the doctor; yeap the whole GSV was removed. Reason why I was questioning it, because really got no bruising on the thigh, just above the back of the knee. I was expecting to have bruising down from the groin to the knee. I got the swelling more & that pulling feeling at times. I doing plenty of walking, infact I wonder at times if I doing too much. I'm an active person plus got the dog that needs walking. I so looking forward to getting back on the mountain bike.

For me actually it the groin area that keeping me from moving freely. Not painful, just feeling tight. I got a hematoma there on the cut, he told me on Monday just gone. Got another lot of antiobiotics as he don't want it getting infected, plus he said got to keep pressure off the wound. Seeing him again this following Monday to check it. It looking like it getting smaller so looking good.

Where you got numbness? I got bit of numbness around the cut at the groin. Also how long was your cut at the groin?

• Posted

Ohhh my... the discomfort has certainly set in now. Can see going to take a good while

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.