Light exercise and kidney stone

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I know i've got a 6mm stone - diagnosed with at a year ago. It caused me very intense pain a couple of days ago. Now the pain is on and off but that typical stone pain when on :-(. It  may be a while until I can see a urologist, so I've got to self-diagnose and self treat to some degree.

Today I was feellng okay and then raked up some leaves for 20 minutes. Almost immediately I had intense pain. I'm just wondering if it was likely related. Also, if I have more chance of passing the stone lying down, and if so does it matter which side, or going about my day as usual - as much as I can given the bouts of pain. 

Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ask your GP for Tamsulosin (Flomax). It has eased the colic for me, although I have never passed any of my stones, but others have found it helps this.

I take it you pay for your drugs, but it isn't a massively expensive drug in generic form (and available easily mail order too)

• Posted

Don't think it makes much difference whether you are lying or standing. The stone is propelled along your tubes by a flow of fluid and, when it starts to move, this is when you can experience the pain. Painkillers will help and Tamsulosin is supposed to loosen your tubes with a view to helping the stone along.

The onset of pain was probably a coincidence with the leaf raking. It began when the stone decided to move along. It will continue until you can get rid of the stone. Plenty of fluid will help but if you can't stand it then go and see your doctor and ask for advice/stronger painkillers.

• Posted

I reckon it matters little, and more about sheer chance when it moves, but coincidentally when I had a complete blockage with a stone in my ureter about 2 and a half years back, it did suddenly clear when I was lying on my side being examined at the A&E, even though it had been excruciating for some hours before. I had been in that and evry other position possible at least a dozen times ebforehand while I was in agony, and it just happend to shift at that time.

The relief was increible!

Excercise is alleaged to be a factor for stones forming though - my relative lack of excercise due to severe chronic pain might well be a factor in me developing stones in the first place, but I haven't found it affecets Renal colic pain once it is going,

• Posted

Thanks, Ian. I'm going in for a CT scan tomorrow, so we'll see what's what. How big was your stone?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.