Linx device surgery recovery for GERD

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband has recently had the Linx Braclet and a sliding hiatal hernia repaired with mesh. He is 10 days into recovery and is doing well as far as the GERD but he is having bloating and gas. Some issues with food stopping at the Linx. Drinking helps. His doctor told him not to eat anything larger that an M&M. I am interested in hearing how others are doing with their recovery. The other thread on this site under this topic was from 1 year ago. I would like to know how they are doing also.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The problem with the linx device can be persuading it to open - either to let food down or gas up.

Normally when the body is upright, the lower oesophageal sphincter is permitted to relax to release gas as a burp - which is quite natural. However the magnetic bracelet doesn't relax. He could try drinking carbonated water to introduce more gas into the stomach to build sufficient pressure to manage a controlled burp?

As for swallowing issues, the weight of the food bolus needs t be sufficient to force the magnets apart. I would question the "size of an M&M advice".

• Posted

Thank you Barretts,

The doctor gave us no diet sugestions other that small well chewed bites. Something did occur to me though. As i read through postings the common denominator is the underlying cause has not been treated. The Linx band only tightens the sphincter. The possibilities are endless as to the other symptoms. Diet change may help but why are some peoples digestive tracks just out of wack? Birth defects, allergies, alcohol, colitis...!

• Posted

...and thank you. I am questioning much. As it goes different things work for different individuals. Trying to get things back to normal seems to help. My husband is a guitarist and vocalist. No singing for 6 weeks minimum...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.