Liothyronine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone been prescribed Liothyronine instead of Levothyroxine? Just wondered if better results with this

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi JulieAnne

I have been prescribed Levo and Lio.  Before Lio I was taking 150mcg of levo but now I am introducing Lio into the mix and doing it slow and low.  First I was given 20mcg tablets which in the first two weeks I cut in half and only took one half daily.  You can cut the half up smaller if you like and take the "bits" x3 daily.  I didn't bother.  I just took the half.  However, since Lio is x3 potent than levo I reduced the levo by 30mcg (e.g. 10mcg x 3). Therefore together I am still taking 150mcg.

Then, after the first two weeks I introduced another 10mcg (half original tablet) in the evening.  So, I reduced the levo by another 30mcg.

Then, after four weeks I introduced 10mcg AM, 10mcg Lunchtime, 10mcg evening and then reduced the levo by 90mcg (or near). 

etc etc.  I think you get the pattern.  

Have a go.  So far I am feeling ok.  I occasionally get a gippy tummy but it doesn't last all day.  So far, so good.  

I don't know yet if I will go all the way and reduce the levo entirely.  I will play it by ear.  

Let me know how you do.

Lisa

• Posted

Hi Lisa. My consultant put me on 60mcg of Lio a day after the side effects from Levo made me feel so ill, in fact is was getting quite scary. Are you having problems obtaining lio? My gp has threatened to stop supplying it, as it is so expensive on the nhs. If I could buy it myself more cheaply I would.

Hoping you have some insights

Kind Regards

• Posted

Hi JulieAnna

Levothyroxine-Synthroid is T4

Liothyronine-Cytoxan is T3

I take 125 mcg of Synthroid and 10 mcg of Cytoxan eaxh day.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Thank you Judith. I would love to take any amount of Levo, but I have such a severe reaction to it that things get scary-swollen throat, rashes, extremely painful muscles. I just had to stop taking it. I immediately started feeling better. Many thanks for your help

Kind Regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.