Lipid Tests

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had general tests done, but of all, my Lipid tests are bit of concern.

Fasting Status: non fasting

Cholesterol: 5.7 mmol/L ( < 5.0 ) (High)

Triglyceride: 4.2 mmol/L ( < 2.0 ) (High)

HDL Cholesterol: 0.96 mmol/L ( < 1.00 ) (Low)

LDL Cholesterol: 2.8 mmol/L ( < 3.4 )

Chol/HDL Ratio: 5.9 (< 4.5) (High)

I am 54 year old, male. 

I lead a healthy life-style (I think so), gym / long brisk walkings (3-4 times per week), vegetarian, no junk food and or fizzy drinks, no fried food, veges and fruit, dairy and other grocery is almost all organic. My ideal weight should be 80 kg, and I hover between 81 to 83 kg; measured daily (to keep a tab not to get anxious though). Reading through stuff i gather i need to stop taking (a) bread (take daily as breakfast with almond butter) (b) Hot Milo drink (take daily) (c) Fruit (Strong lover of fruit; can live on fruit) and Fruit Juice (d) Substitute fruit with Vegetables (e) start taking Omega 3 capsules (f) take more beans in my daily intake

Even though my weight is ok, but I have noticed my tummy bulge has increased in last about month and a half. These tests were done on 2 Dec, 2016. Yes, and most important, I do have very stressful life (work and home front too-loads of built-up emotional stuff)

I am concerned for (a) HIGH as mentioned above (b) tummy bulge which despite healthy physical activity, is not coming down. HIIT will help or not, I dont know. I have a suspicion that my tummy bulge has something to do with medical reasons, rather than simply attributing to not very active physical activities and lack of HIIT. 

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated.

Kind regards

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

In continuation of my post above

High and Low mentioned in my post above was as commented upon by my GP

Kind regards

• Posted

good that you are concerned about your results. diet very high is fiber and protein, Omega 3,6 and 9. cut down on refined startches and sugar even vegitable that are high in startch. Walking is good. Good diet and excericse known to lower the levels.
  • Posted

belly fat: Cortisol is a hormone that’s essential for survival.

It’s produced by the adrenal glands and is known as a “stress hormone” because it helps your body to mount a stress response.

Unfortunately, it can lead to weight gain when produced in excess, especially in the abdominal region.

avoid sugar and bad carbs, diet hight in protein and fiber along with excercise especially walking does help.

belly fat can put you in risk for higher blood sugar levels.

• Posted

Cholesterol, Trigly and Chol/HDL are high. 

Sometimes cholesterol is raised in certain individuals , maybe genetics play a part. 

You need not stop taking almond, as they are good for you.

You can continue HIIT activities, and after a while (6-12 months) check the Lipid profile again. 

If your not having any high BP issues, I would not worry about these values. 

Of course, lower the stress/cortisol issues if you can. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.