Lipitor or Atorvastatin

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am aware that us folks with a gout flare-up are taking many diffrerent types of medications but I wanted to know if any of the folks in this forum are also taking Lipitor or the generic Atorvastatin for high cholesterol?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dave, about 6 months ago, I had some blood work done and was told that my cholesterol level was 214. My doctor said that she was prescribing Lipitor for me and that I should take it for the next 365 days.  I believe she told me that my level should be below 200. I felt that rather than take the Lipitor I would try lowering my cholesterol by watching what I ate. 

I immediately stop eating butter, I used olive oil spread instead. I stopped drinking 2% milk and started drinking almond milk. I stopped eating red meat 2 yrs. prior and I also cut out starches like corn and white potatoes. 

When I went back after 3 months for my follow-up appointment my cholesterol level was 187. My doctor asked me was I taking the Lipitor she had prescribed and I told her, No! she was surprised. Since it wasn't that high to begin with, I was surprised that she didn't suggest cutting out certain foods from my diet in the first place. I have learned that you really have to get involved in your own healthcare issues and do what is best for you. 

Anyway, after reading the side effects I did not want to take the Lipitor afer all.

• Posted

Angela,

Excuse me for not composing my question correctly, I wanted to know if there is a corelation with Lipitor and gout flare-ups, It seems for myself that the Lipitor is changing how my body works with uric acid.

thank you

Dave

• Posted

Sorry Dave! Yes, I do have gout but I never took the Lipitor that the doctor prescribed for me. Again sorry and I hope you find your answer.
  • Posted

Hi daveA616,

I've had gout flare-ups since 1989 and been on Lipitor/Atorvastin for just as long to lower my cholsterol levels.  My gout flare-ups have been infrequent since taking myself off Zyloprim (gout preventer) and taking Indocid when I experience a gout flare-up. So, on the evidence so far, I'd say that neither Lipitor nor any other medications I take have increased the chances of a gout flare-up.

However, my current gout flare-up is in my index finger and has not healed after one month, despite taking GP-prescribed Indocid then Voltaren.

Does anyone know if gout in the finger is more difficult to relieve successfully than in the traditional gout areas like the toe, heel and ankle?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.