Lips looking white.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Not sure if this is the report group but here is my issue.

I have always have normal looking red lips. Until a few months ago, when my lips have started going white and looking like a film is sat on them and not feeling smooth. I have tried numerous over the counter stuff including Blistex Relief Cream, numerous lip balms etc with no luck. any ideas on how to get them back to normal? 

Thank you 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have had on and off bouts with the 'white lips syndrome' (MY terminology!) for many years. Fifteen years ago I found out I have Sjogren's syndrome, an autoimmune disease that affects one's moisture glands. I have, of my own, attributed the white lips to that. There could be many contributing factors (I.e., high salt intake; not enough water intake). Not knowing your age or your dietary habits, it is difficult to even try to guess! You are, however, not alone with the white lips! Even my son experiences them from time to time! Pay attention to your body to see if, maybe, something else is going on as well. Keep records of when and how long the white lips episodes occur and also anything else that may be a bit 'off' during those episodes.
    • Posted

Rete hi thanks for the reply. Lips look fine now with a few white stuff but they can be wiped off. I really cannot predict why. My lips have always been fine. Is it worth going to the gp?
    • Posted

If you have noticed ANYTHING else going along with this it is certainly worth considering going to the doc. If I were you I would keep records, for sure. My white lips started long before my diagnosis. Like yours, mine don't STAY white. They are white for a few days and then they get normal in color again. If you do go to the doc you might want to consider mega blood work tests to check on more than just the standard CBC. Knowing what I know now, those are tests I should have had long before I did. I wish you well, I truly do.
    • Posted

Hi Rete, thank you for the reply. I have been on medication earlier this year, and think it is because of this. However I am now off the medications and just take two per day. Lips just look awful especially when I go out! 
  • Posted

Have u noticed s.th changed with. Ur health recently?
    • Posted

I summer from several health issues, headaches, heartburn etc. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.