Lisinopril is awful in my opinion

Posted , 3 users are following.

I started this a few months back I was on it once before years ago with a different dr and my new dr has all my charts from my old dr who moved out of state. Anyway I have had this horrible cough from day 1 then I developed anxiety and then panic attacks. It makes me cough and cough I switched to taking it in the morning and I just felt out of it all day and some days I just itch. I called the pharmacy and was told told these are rare side effects well I'm allergic to just about everything medicine wise. I have bradytacharydia anyway. Then I was given the choice of a water pill which I've tried before and actually made me fall to the ground. I already have GAD and it was under control until I started this lisinopril and I'm too the point I'm just stopping I'm only on 5mg. I've also lost all interest in being intimate with my wife since day 1 of this taking this and it's strained our relationship.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Aj

I'm sorry to hear you have had such a rotten time with the lisinopril, I've got high BP and after sevral motnhs on 10mg amlopidine, which helped quite a bit, I've had lisinoril 5mg at night added in.  My mum also takes it and she gets the cough but she takes 10mg a day.  

The only side effect I've noticed so far is light headedness, I wake in the night feeling feint, at first I thought it was the codeine I take for pain but I've been on that for ages without this side effects so I reckon it must be this one.  I guess as with all meds its about wieghing up the pro's and cons of the treatment and if you are struggling to be intimate with your wife thats a real downer.  I'm sticking with it for the time being as I already have itches and anxiety so it can't get any worse!  Take an anti histamine plus emolient cream for the skin irritation and find exercise is the best treatment for my anxiety, I do have a supply of diazepam but rarely use it as it makes me feel so drugged.  Hope you soon feel much better

Lizzie

• Posted

Thanks for the response unfortunately I was off it a week and my bp went back up after 3 days of stopping it so I restarted it because my dr is either water pill or lisinopril. Now I'm having stomach issues again after 6 days back on it, I'm itching all over and the cough is horrible wakes me up at night and sometimes I end up throwing up. Like I stated I'm allergic to so many meds already did the water pill years ago and this dr knows that if he read my chart. I'm so frustrated and scared I'm only 46 but I'm over weight and have a bad back and knee so I can't get much exercise. I don't want to have a heart attack. My bp went back up to 150/100 off lisinopril. So that's why I restarted it. But I feel horrible. Anxiety returned within two days as well.
    • Posted

Hi Aj

I had to come off the lisinopril after sending my last message to you as the rash became too bad and the feeling in my head was like I was going to die!  I spoke to my gp on the phone and she agreed to stopping it and I'm going in to saee her in a couple of weeks.  I also take amlopidine for my bp which has got it down to around 140/70 which to me, for someone like me who is 58 with a BMI of 40 (!) seems about OK.  I'm in no rush to add in another med to all those I take for both this and other issues (I' have numerous mental health problems too).  Right now my concentration is one getting my coeine consumption down to a much lower level again and I'm doing well so far.

Best Wishes

Lizzie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.