Listed for bunion surgery & mortons neuroma excision - is it really painful coz I'm a chicken

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been getting pain from a Mortons Neuroma. I seen the Surgeon and he said it is caused by my bunion so he said he would excise the neuroma and shave the bunion off at the same time. I have read so many horrendous story's and people keep telling me how painful the op will be - I'm seriously starting to panic. I am due to have surgery in Feb/March, but the more I'm hearing the more I just want to live with the pain of the neuroma? I have gone through childbirth twice and had a few operations on my hands as a teenager which hurt a bit but you hear so many gore stories ....... Help!

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I'm the biggest woose you could ever wish to meet. I had bunion 8 weeks ago and I can honestly say I was having nightmares about the whole thing. I also had a problem with joint at the base of my ankle which also needed operating on.

I won't lie the first night was horrible but I popped my pain killers as instructed and more sometimes but after the first 3 days I didn't take any. The pain was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. The worse part for me has been not being able to do much as not being able to weight bear and the not driving. You don't realise how much take our feet for granted and the pressure little everyday things put on yr feet. I have a new found respect for them. The level of pain hadn't put me off having the other foot done in the future.

While I was asleep they injected pain killer into my ankle and most of my pain was there.

8 weeks on I get the odd twinge and some swelling still but nothing more

Hope this helps really it's not as bad as you imagine x

• Posted

I have heard so much negative things it scares me. I have bunions on both feet but the one with the mortons neuroma is far worse.

I am having the neuroma excised whatever as I am in pain from that, so I may as well get the bunion done while under anaesthetic .....

What kind of pain relief do you need ?

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

As I said in my earlier message I had both feet done. 1st one was Oct 31st. Second one Dec. 26th. My surgeon gave me a prescription pain killer (Codeine). He told me to take one when I got home and continue to take one every 3 1/2-4 hours. He said stay ahead of the pain. I did that the day of the surgery and the second day. The 3rd day I took one in the morning, one in the middle of the afternoon; and one before bed. By the 4th day I only took two one in AM and one at bed. I used extra strength Tylenol after that. I think more than the pain is the inconvenience. You just need to know that for about the first 3-4 days you wont be doing much. I used crutches to get around when necessary. Each day improves and by one week you will be able to wear the boot, which really takes a lot of the pressure off. I'm 10 days post surgery. I've been to the grocery store, to dinner and a movie, and to my neighbors New Years Eve party. There is soreness and some discomfort; but not so bad. By the time for the 2nd surgery came, I wasn't nearly as worried as I was for the first as I knew what to expect.

It makes sense for you to get your neuroma and bunion done while you are under. I put off my bunion surgery for too long. They never get better; but sure can get progressively worse!

• Posted

Thanks Lisa. You gave done very well indeed. It will be hard for me because I am so active and am always flitting from place to place so I will have to take things easy. The Mortons Neuroma is painful so I have no choice really.... May as well get it all done at once. Thanks for your advice.
  • Posted

Well....... Got my call up papers... I'm listed for surgery on 17th March. Not too long to wait. Any advice for post op gratefully received.
  • Posted

Hi Elaine,

I had scarf and akin to deal with my severe bunion and Morton's Neuroma (which is really what made me go for the surgery) done on Jan 7th. I've been writing on the bunion op forum, but basically, you need to be willing to put most stuff on hold for 6-8 weeks. I'm at week 6 now and feel like I've really turned a corner. Some of the early days were painful but the consultant prescribed strong as well as more moderate pain killers and when I needed them I took them. I spent a lot of time with my foot up, and I had someone in the house to look after my children (three boys aged 5, 7, and 9 so very physical!) every day after school. My husband has been amazing - making sure he got home for whenever the nanny/my mum or whoever left for the day so he could take over and do bed-time. My surgeon suggested 8 weeks off work, but when I clarified she said that if I wanted to I could go in by taxi from 2 weeks a day or two per week. I didn't actually feel up to it until week 4, but it was nice to see everyone and do something other than watch films/read magazines!

My foot looks amazing - so much better than it did before. I'm now starting to walk without crutches and whilst it feels odd, especially as my weight rolls over where the Neuroma was (to be honest its a bit like a mild version of how it used to be - sort of twingy nervy feeling) but it improves quickly as my foot/ankle warm up, and as my gait returns to normal it all feels better.

So, don't be scared, but do be prepared. At times I took paracetamol with codeine in addition to anti-inflammitories, and on really bad evenings I took tramadol. It is painful but it does get better. I'm now down to paracetamol and neurofen and doing fine on those. It was wonderful to be able to get in the bath after a couple of weeks and I find in the evening that helps loads. Some people have very little pain, a neighbor of mine had slightly more minor bunion surgery done the day before me and only took pain-killers for 4 days! She also got an air cast boot thing compared to my velcro sandal thing and seemed to be walking around fairly easily sooner than me too.

My main advice would be, make sure you move little and often, weight-bearing as much as you can on the heel of the operate foot - this will help prevent your ankle from seizing up and your calf muscle from tightening up too much. Gets loads of DVDs sets and magazines in. I bought lots of books but actually I felt too exhausted to read. And obviously plan lots of help for any day-to-day stuff you need doing in the house. If you're going to be on your own in the day a thermos is really useful too so that you can fil that with whatever hot drink you like first thing and then take it to the sofa!

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi busymummy - I'm scheduled for three procedures, including bunion surgery. Your response to Elain was very thorough and reassuring. I am curious about how you are doing now, this long after surgery. Hope all is well with you.
  • Posted

PS. Just noticed you said your surgeon was just shaving your bunion - in which case you are likely to feel better much more quickly than me. I had a scarf and akin which means the big bone along the inside of the foot is sliced horizontally and slid across to straighten the edge of the foot - plus the big toe bone is chopped and straightened and it is those elements not the bunion itself that have been painful whilst it mended!
  • Posted

Unfortunately I am listed for neuroma excision, scarf osteotomy & Akins along with something to do with my second digit.... So it's a quadruple whammy so to speak.
  • Posted

I am going for an injection on Monday into the neuroma to give me some relief until the operation. We planned a family holiday to New York before I started getting pain. I am hoping that will help because your on your feet the whole time in NYC. Then it's the dreaded operation. How long were you in surgery busymummy ?
  • Posted

Hi Elaine,

I had the injection and it helped quite a bit, though it took a few days to settle down. You might want to get some orthotic insoles too. They are quite expensive but it might be worth it for your holiday. Mine were fantastic, and in trainers with them in I could walk much of the day with no pain at all and almost decided not to have the surgery after all, but decided I couldn't spend the rest of my life in trainers!

Good luck.

• Posted

Yeah I managed to get one by my consultant. I find its too uncomfortable. I hope the injection helps while I'm away. I am just concerned about after the operation. I have plans in place for my husband to take some time off work etc ... and luckily I live in a bungalow so no stairs to tackle but the anaesthetic concerns me as previous ops I have been as sick as a dog and previous hand surgery the pain was unbearable (mind that wwas nearly 30 years ago) I was a teenager and it always sticks in my mind

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.