Liver and kidney abnormal tests post op gallbladder surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

So, I finally had my Gb surgery 6 weeks ago and all went pretty well, other than contracting the chest infection that has been doing the rounds here.

?Ironically, my pre-op tests all came back looking good, even when I felt really very unwell but now my kidneys and liver are throwing abnormal test results and need further investigation. I have heard of people having deranged LFTs before and after gallbladder surgery and can understand some of the reasoning, but as to the kidneys I don't know. They are testing for diabetes but I've never had high blood sugar only a couple of episodes of low blood glucose when I was really ill and not eating properly and I've had so many blood tests over the last year, feels like I've given a couple of pints!

?Also my blood pressure is higher than usual, it has been boderline for a few years and I keep records for the doc occasionally and they have not been worried before.

?Has anyone experienced any of these things after surgery and what was the result? I cannot find anything but doom and gloom online.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cynthia, sorry to hear of your problems. I had my gallbladder removed yesterday and a pre-op blood test revealed that I had raised lfts in my liver, but only slightly sending enough to delay the op thankfully. I have to have a follow up blood test in 3 weeks but the doc was pretty confident that it was to do with the gallbladder...

Hope they sort it for you, feel better soon.

Anna

• Posted

Thanks, you too. I'm glad it has been done  just hope it is something now that can resolve, not new ailments

• Posted

Hi, Cynthia,

So sorry to learn about this!  I hope that what you're experiencing is just a bump in the road, and occurred as a result of your body trying to "right" itself after the long delays you experienced when you needed your surgery.  You were quite ill for a good while.  

Please know that I'm thinking of you, and wishing you the best!  Do keep me posted on how you get on! xx

Lynda

• Posted

Many thanks, Lynda. I was just surprised that this happened as I felt better than before, but you are right! I was ill for a long time, not eating and sleeping well and it has taken its toll. Plus all the stress.

?As  I had chest infections since surgery, I imagine that has also weighed in to slow full recovery down. At least the GP is looking into it and I should know what is what before I embark on next (knee) surgery as I don't want to overburden my system too soon. It did make me feel a bit down yesterday, but I feel more positive today!

Thanks for all your support! x

• Posted

Just wish I could do more, like wave a wand or something.  "Fairy Dust, Fairy Dust, Fairy Dust!"  smile

Please do keep me informed!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.