Liver and steroid injection??

Posted , 1 user is following.

I don`t know if Mrs Mop..or anybody can advise me (for my sister) she is waiting for the results of an MRI liver scan...she is struggling to eat...feeling very "blown up in stomach" by all foods....she had a bad reaction originally from taking Methotrexate....hence the liver problems...but, she has very painful arthritis...and desperately needs another steroid injection (in buttock for all over pain)  do you think she could have this now while waiting for the results....she is waiting for a letter from the hospital, but this all takes too much time!  Thank you for any advice...

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda, would she go to her GP for the injection?  S/he can telephone the hospital for the result and would probably give your sister the steroid injection because that doesn't go through the gastro intestinal tract into the liver.

I think your sister should contact her GP and not wait for the letter.

• Posted

Thank you, as I was writing this morning, my sister got the lettter from the hospital...it said she needed an endoscopy to remove stones...and a later operation to remove her gall bladder, which has stones also. No mention of a problem actually with her liver, so we are presuming the stones are causing the chest pain, and stomach bloating?  ..I have now told her to ring the hospital rheumatology dept, to discuss this....any advice on endoscopy and stone removal? Thanks again....
    • Posted

I have just read to the bottom of the Patient link, go to 'Further reading' etc and click on the  'single incision laparoscopic cholecystectomy' etc..  I am hoping that will explain what you need to know.  I haven't looked yet!

I hope all goes well for your sister, I'm sure it will.

• Posted

Thank you for all your info, I will pass this on to my sister....the hospital are to contact her doctor to allow the steroid before she has the op....at least her pain from Arthritis will be eased!.....
    • Posted

It is so much easier to cope with ops etc., when you are pain free, isn't it?  And when you can sleep too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.