Liver cyst - advice please

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a liver cyst detected by chance earlier this year and although my consultant is not worried about it he has ordered me a follow up scan to monitor it.  What I want to know is can liver cysts grow and would I need surgery? Thanks

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

From what I have read yes they can grow and very rarely can they become cancerous so I have a small 1 to 2 millimeter possible cyst and getting an MRI to confirm it next week and also going to get some tumor marker blood work done just to show me its not cancerous i hope. So it a very light colored and found by chance just like you and yes if they grow they can become painful and I think what I read is if they burst can cause bleeding and or rupture that's what you want to avoid , you have to get a resection which is a surgery to get it taken out which from what I hear go pretty well.
    • Posted

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  Mine is bigger, it's about 3cms but it's classed as a small cyst apparently.  I'm really hoping it hasn't grown since my last ultrasound scan and MRI which was about 4 months ago.  I really don't want surgery.  All my LFT's came back normal and it is benign but just concerned now because I know it's there.
    • Posted

Does it cause you any pain, do you have cysts anywhere else, mine was too small to pick up on ultrasound, are you saying its benine because the MRI is showing it as a cyst or did you get needle biopsy. If its not causing you pain in the MRI shows it clearly as a cyst with no vascularity and I were you I would be happy, I'm hoping for the same results. But yes the next time you get an MRI and its growing sure depending on the rate and if it's pressing on anything that will determine whether you get surgery or not. Look up liver clean diets and stick with them the less alcohol you drink or smoke the better chance you'll never have to worry about it from what I read. V not to sound like a jerk yours obviously had to start out small and you don't know how long it's been there so you can't really determine its rate of growth yet. Also did your whole abdomen get scanned and everything else is clear and do you have any GI upset for digestive disorders.
    • Posted

Also I am going to be 47 in December what is your age. I also have to epididymal cyst as well as a small on my thumb and that one I mentioned in my kidney on the same side as the liver so just trying to see if there's a correlation I know I've heard with age.
    • Posted

Yes I also have a small cyst on the kidney.  I had an ultrasound scan for what I originally thought was gallstones as I had a mild, niggly pain under my right rib (which I still get along with some mild upper abdominal discomfort sometimes).  My gall bladder was fine and so was my pancreas but it also showed up as fatty liver which my GP was not really concerned about.  It was investigated further with an MRI scan because it was a 'complex' cyst and so they wanted to rule out a hydatid cyst and anything more serious.  At my follow up meeting with the consultant he said it wasn't anything serious but a follow up scan was a normal part of the procedure to monitor it.  I am changing my lifestyle and am eating more healthily etc, drink lemon water, bought myself a juicer and juicing fresh fruit and vegetables so am hoping that it will all be ok.  I am 53 years old and am also Type 2 diabetic so I really have to get my health in order.  I will also keep a check on things and get annual LFT's done for peace of mind even if I have to pay private for them.  
    • Posted

Kidney cyst on same side also, how big. With fatty liver you need to reduce that fatty liver it can cause cirrhosis if get to bad. Lets keep in touch and compare notes please, we seem to have similar condition. You have no ibs or anxiety, i have some anxiety do to my job, firefighter/medic.
    • Posted

i do have a simple cyst on my kidney but it didn't specify the size on the scan report.  I am changing my lifestyle regarding the fatty liver but i would never have known i'd got that unless i'd had the scan, i could have had it for years but my GP isn't really worried about it (my liver isn't enlarged) and i'm sure if i needed further testing they would have sent me but with me having my follow up scan at least i can monitor what's going on.  I wish i could have an annual scan but i don't think the NHS will pay for that, i guess i would have to go privately myself.  As far as i'm aware, i don't have IBS but i do suffer from anxiety but not too serious though.  I just want to get this follow-up scan out the way now and hope the consultant will 'discharge' me afterwards.  Let me know how you get on yourself too.
    • Posted

Does a CT with contrast show fatty liver or does it take an MRI. i will let know after mri.
    • Posted

My ultrasound scan picked up the fatty liver.  I had an MRI with contrast, that was to check my cyst in more detail.  My appointment for my follow up is for an abdominal scan (ultrasound) so not having an MRI as the follow up
    • Posted

Yes i will be in touch and update you in a week or two time when i should get the results from the scan.
  • Posted

I am a bit worried.  I had my follow up ultrasound scan last week and the Radiographer said there seemed to be no change which i regarded as a good thing but now i will need a follow up MRI scan and when i rang the consultant's secretary just now to find out why i need this she said that a fatty area has shown up on the liver.  She said she didn't think it was anything to worry about but it is just a precaution to check.  I know i have fatty liver but would this not have shown up originally a few months ago when i had my first one?  Please help.
  • Posted

i have just phoned up the consultant's secretary again to get a more detailed picture and she said that the note in the consultant's email for the reason i now will need another MRI scan is - fatty sparing.  I am trying to google more information about it but am a bit worried.  I will be going to see my GP in the morning to get their analysis on it.  Just when i thought everything was OK :-(
    • Posted

I would think that fatty area what would have been there to begin with but if that's what he's saying he's made it record now so if its something else you can hold him to it for not being honest with you. I would just be happy that they're looking for other just to make sure just cross your fingers. Maybe he's just trying to get another scan and make more money in this case would be money well spent, rite so worst case scenario it's just another fatty deposit but would one form that fast
    • Posted

Well this is what i am thinking, there was no mention the first time round about any 'fatty sparing' just the liver cyst which he actually showed me on his computer so is this a new thing that has developed in 5 months?  I'm so confused.  I do have an appointment to see a GP today to have a chat about it but i don't know what to think now.  I know that fatty liver was also picked up but i don't know how long i've had it (the doctor said it could be years and it's not usually found until you have a scan for something else).  I really want to try and reverse my diabetes and fatty liver and hope it's not too late.  Am so fed up at the moment :-(
    • Posted

Did you read up on it yet. To me it sounds like a change around something so does it have something to do with your cyst that is in your liver like around the cyst or is it off all by itself. From what I read it can be common in a fatty liver but if it has something to do with a cyst or tumor that is in your liver may indicate more serious situation. Not to scare you and I'm reading it on the go hang in there, it also said it had something to do with the portal vein or artery
    • Posted

i've had a quick look and it does sound a bit scary but i'm just hoping that they just want to double check everything that was found 5 months ago when i had my original ulstrasound scan and MRI so i guess they want to compare the results.  I am trying to keep positive but am very worried, i had just got over the original scans 5 months ago worrying about the 'complex' cyst they found which has turned out OK and now i am back to square one with this scenario.  I am now waiting for an appointment for an MRI scan.
    • Posted

Ok lets hope for the best, I did read that in some cases they call I think the fatty tissue hi lar in that is a good thing when that surrounds something my wife just had a MRI of her breast and it said that she had a highlight ring or so around certain things in her breast and I read where that's a good thing not sure if that has anything to do with what you were told

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.