Living with a Migraine suffer - feeling a lone

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,  

I don't suffer from migrains myself - but my husban does.  He has had them since a child.  When I met him and I still clearly remember this day as is really scarred me.  He was driving me to meet his parents and he stopped the car in the middle of a country road and asked me drive as he visison has gone funny.  I never really understoood what a migaran was and how it could effect people's lives.   when we first met the mirgans use to just effect his vision and take him out of action for two possiable three days, with day three being more a recovery day,  He tells me every mussel in his body hurts after an attck.   He was on treatment when we first go together and after a lot of research we thought we had worked out his triggers and how to manage them and we did have a couple of year with just some over the counter pain kills and only what he calls a light head ach (it hurts but becuase he is use to it he was able to still funtion).  However about 5 years ago he got hit with what we were told at the time were cluster mingrans which were one on top of each other.  Which impacted upon his life and he just couldn't funtion.  He then went back on to medication to clear these, and it did, however about a year into taking his medication he had his first hemiplegic migraine.  This scarred me - he lost the sight in both eyes (before it was only his left eye),  he couldn't use his left arm or leg.   I also couldn't get him to make any sence when talking me.  I rushed him up to the hospital as thought it was stroke and they put him stright on a heart monotor for 48 hours to rule out a stroke.  No one at the time in the hospital could tell me what it was - they kept saying it could just be a Mirgane - but they couldn't be sure.  After this attck he then started to get attcks like this more regurally - we push the issue with the GP and saw a speicaliest who suggest a combation of medication which he is now taking.  Things had settled - well for him any way and we were managaing his attacks and keep them under contorl - however 18 days ago he had another attack - but this wasn't what I would call normal.  Normal would be two days and then three to recover.  This was over a week of pain-not being able to see probably or using any of his left hand side.  I tend to avoid hospitals if I can when he has an attack as they are bright and loud places which doesn't help but day 4 into this attack I took him to the walk in centre who said have you tried "paracetamol" really wasn't helpful at all.  I ended up taking day off work so I could stop at home as he was just taking his pain kills and sleeping so wasn't really eating or drinking which for my husban isn't ideal when he has a migran (he also has a kiddy stone so has to keep his water in take up) so I could wake him to drink and eat.  We finally got him into a GP who gave us some sleeping pills and different pain killer.  So that we could get my husband back into a sleep patten and brake the cycle.  Which it did and he has managed to return to work - though not happy to drive himself so I am having to do this for him.  He also still hasn't 18 days on had full feeling return to his finger tips.  We have been back to the GP and plan to go back again in the week.  But I worried there is something that they are missing as this isn't an normall attack for my husband and I don't know what to do to help him.  I feel lost and helpless.  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Your husband should see a neurologist. I'm surprised your GP didn't recommend it.

• Posted

The surgery he is registered at has a high turn over of doctors so you have to keep on at them. He has seen someone from Oxford re his migraine attacks but that is when it was cluster migraine now his symptoms are different we have to in effect start again. The GP is meant to be writing a letter so that's Mondays task to chase and make sure it has been sent.I just feel helpless as I watch him suffer and it's difficult as at the moment nothing I do seems to helps. I'm worried something more might be going on as his types of migraines has changed and it scars me. Also his migraines don't only effect his lift but they have an impact on mine. We are lucky to we work about 10mins from each other and my work is flixable so if my husband has an attack at work and needs picking up I can do that. I'm also lucky that I can work from home if need be. When he can't feel/use the left hand side of his body he needs help with the smallest of things including drinking water.We have gone away on holidays and he has spent the whole holiday in the hotel room with migraine.My friends say I'm really good with it all, but all I want to do is make it better for him.

• Posted

I'm not sure if I missed it in your post or not, but has he had a CT scan or MRI of his head? If not, I would absolutely demand that from whatever GP/clinic you are going to.. or if you can afford it, pay for one privately... as losing function / feeling in one side of the body, to me, is quite serious a symptom...

• Posted

My Husband hasn't had an CT or MRI - and I'm begaining to think that he should.  Even if it just rules out things.     Issue at the momment when he has been to the doctores recetly he has been in a lot pain that he doesn't really take everything in and if I call GP up and push I get told he should be asking himself.  Problem with that is when he is having an attack he isn't even able to call in sick himself so how he is meant to have a fight with the GP over getting the right care and tests. 

• Posted

Up still having to chase the GP to confirm they have made sent the refer letter. They hadn't done it Tuesday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.