Posted , 9 users are following.

Could anyone as speak to the location of their gh symptoms? Mine are always right side upper back of throat.Waiting on ent appointment next week. Very scared as it is hard to believe something this physical feeling could be anxiety as my GP states. Any feedback would be be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It's no big deal at the ent, usually they put a scope up the nose to see down the throat. I'm as squeemish as anything and honestly it was fine, you barely feel anything, it's a very thin camera

• Posted

Thanks .....it's hard to believe the symptoms can be caused by anxiety. Did you feel like there was an actual lump in your throat and where was it?

• Posted

Yes i have had this for a while, and globus is defined as feeling a lump in the throat when no lump is there.  Mine was on the left usually, but it can be anywhere
    • Posted

Thanks for responding. In your experience did muscle relaxers or any medication help?
    • Posted

the only treatment for globus cause by anxiety is to treat the anxiety, the rest will then follow, no medication will do that for you to be honest. which isnt to say you cant try, thats you and your drs call.  if its related to reflux (which it can be but generally not that often), the PPIs may help - but its much more likely anxiety related
  • Posted

Hi, Im having it at the back of my throat exactly at the tip of my lungs, so everytime I experience the sensation it feels like im choking on my own saliva. I already raise a forum to have a relief solution but seems no one replied. But I finaly found a solution. Its a very rare medicine that no one ever mentioned in every forums I read. It was called Chyproheptadine Hcl. It was actually an Asmathic Bronchitis allergy drug. I have tried Dextamine that is a very strong antihistamine, Claritin, Nasonex, Aerius with no result. This one takes imediate result, and gives me relief within half an hour. I know I shouldnt lead people to misuse to drugs but you can consult with your doctor first.
    • Posted

Sorry I forgot tobadd, my GP feels more like a watery throat whenever the reflux happened more than a lump. So I have a contant coughing to relieve the saliva in my lungs.
    • Posted

Hi Ray-Z, 

That is very interesting! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to see my GI this Friday and I will ask about Chyproheptadine Hcl. I have asthma and at times it feels connected to my bronchioles or my airway. I'd thought about getting my nebulizer out and trying that with my albuterol. Thanks for sharing. 

Peace,

Matcha (Rebecca)

• Posted

I matchamaiden, I just found out that Cyproheptadine is a very old antihistamine, its a first gen, mostly banned in US because it causes drowzyness. If you can get it then great. But please consult with your GI, because I just receive my manometry result, there is no significant reflux, most reflux just 9cm.high, not enough to cause a problem. But because I have asthma history it triggers my astma and cause the watery globus sensation. Hence the drugs works with me.
    • Posted

Hi 2 Ray-Z,

I talked to my GI Dr. about Cyproheptadine and I didn't realize it was an antihistamine. He said since I'd been on 3 different antihistaminess already (allergies since moving to Washington) that it wouldn't be different with yet another. Who knows! I'm not even sure it's available here. Thanks for sharing. Anything is worth a try to me.

Peace,

Matcha

• Posted

Kjarvis15,

I can share my situation. The feeling changes - sometimes it feels like a huge ball of mucus in the spot where my larynx is located and that I need to cough it up. But, alas, nothing is there. Sometimes it feels like a huge ROCK in my larynx and it is very disturbing. Sometimes it cramps as I have been diagnosed with diffuse esophageal spasms as well and it hurts like hell.  I also have a sensation that feels like pressure, sometimes like a rock, sometimes very hot, behind my sternum. It's where the thymus is located, not quite as far down as the lower esophageal sphincter.  So, I have globus at both locations. I actually have a GI doctor working with my issues, not an ENT. 

I had the manometry test done (they put a tube down one nostril and down into your esophagus to the LES (lower esophageal sphincter, have you "relax", then take approximately 10 separate sips of water to measure the pressure of each swallow. I had a great nurse who got me very numb and lubricated and went SLOW. It was fine, but if I hadn't had her coaching me and reassuring me, I would have stopped the test. But, I also knew I needed it. 

The GI doctor put me on a calcium channel blocker, Diltiazem and a smooth muscle relaxer, Hyoscyamine. They decrease the severity of the spasms and globus only sometimes.  I'm also on a PPI and Sucralfate. 

Since both Western and Eastern (especially Traditional Chinese Medicine) believe this disorder is caused from bad thoughts, anxiety, fear, worry, etc, any doctors that deal with this issue will tell you that this disorder is either coming from GERD or it's coming from the mind. I see a therapist weekly, have started on an intensive meditation protocol and try to stay mindful every moment. 

I'm sorry you are experiencing this. It is the hardest thing I've had to live through. It even trumps my chronic back pain that impacts my life greatly. Globus and spasms can be debilitating. It's really hard to deal with. I'm glad you can come here to get support. 

Best Wishes,

Matcha (Rebecca). 

• Posted

Hi Matcha and Kjarvis15,

I wanted to join the discussion because I too am dealing with this. I wanted to know if anyone is feeling any better? I have done so much research on this, and it's just so frustrating that no one really has an answer. One thing I am trying right now is a Chinese herb called Ban Xia Hou Po Pian. Supposedly it treats The lump in the throat sensation and specifically moves phlegm. My next step would be and anti-histamine although I really don't like adding chemicals to the body. I think maybe more of a "healthy diet and mind" approach would be better. It has really affected my life and it's hard to talk about and it's hard to deal with.

If you don't mind me asking, how did this sensation start? Mine started in a split second and I've had it for over three months now. Thank you for your support and good luck with finding an answer.

• Posted

Ooops, I forgot to add that the sensation is nearly always in the center, whether it's in my throat or my chest. Sometimes when it's really bad, it feels more intense on the left side. As I said, it feels like a lump, like phlegm or even a rock in my chest at times. When I'm having those twisting esophageal spasms, the lump feels HUGE. 

I have been on anti-anxiolytics for a few years, we even tried various kinds along with anti-depressants. But, none have helped my globus. 

As someone pointed out, it can be due to GERD and even bronchiole issues related to asthma. I'd just ask yourself if you have any recent issues or worry that either relate to your survival (fear) or feelings of grief. 

Best Wishes!

• Posted

Thank you so much for that response. It is good to know that I am not alone in this. I also wish you the best and hope we all find a way out of this. God bless and thank you again. ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.