London consultants

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey

So I'm 24 years old and have been having absence seizures for about 3 years now. I have tried 3 different tablets individually and combined and nothing seems to be stopping them. I have recently moved to London and wondered if anyone could recommend a good consultant? I would like a second opinion and to explore further options.

Many thanks for your help and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Lucy

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lucy, 

may I ask what medication u Were on that failed?

I ask as my 15year old daughter has epilepsy and recently started medication  Kappra  Levetiracetam?!!!!!!

she experiences a seizure when on a period in the morning 

and since been on them she has MORE seizures???????

we are waiting to see her consultant for another check up......I don't think that they are working. 

My daughter is soooooooo depressed on these, not her normally bubbly self so I'm with u on finding somthing that will make a big improvement.

good luck Lucy and PLEASE keep me posted and also WELCOME to ENGLAND LONDON hope you enjoy it here in our beautiful country!!!!!, xx

• Posted

Hi Shelley

I began on lamotrogine I then got told to add keppra. I experienced side effects of tiredness so I can appreciate her depression feeling! My seizures also usually happen around the time of my period.

I have recently stopped taking keppra and have switched to Zebinex with lamotrogine. No improvements yetsad although I am experiencing less side effects!

Lucy

• Posted

Hi there my mother is on Lamotrigine   Had it for 7 years she loves it ,but she's 88. And another day she said she had bitten her mouth and lip is n her sleep and her words are getting ,,,strange at time wrong words come out but she is tired can any one tell me if she has a seizure. In her sleep,,help. As I am only child it's hard ..my poor mum she bid ridden as she has shingles right now ,,,

• Posted

Hello Lucy

​The tabs that work for me are Levetiracetam (4g/day) and Sodium Valproate (2.4g/day).  I found that GPs are reluctant to prescribe Keppra because of its cost so they prescribe cheaper generics, problem with these is that the coating doesn't dissolve well in the gut, not mine at least, I found breaking them in half to expose the 'inside' helps them dissolve and I haven't had an absense since starting this.  I do have other kinds of seizures where sometimes voices become scrambled for example but no more than once a week and are only short lived, far less worrying than absenses.  It would be nice to totally eliminate all seizures of course.

• Posted

Hi everyone

I wondered if this group is still active?

• Posted

Hi Ljs

I hope this reply is helpful as it is some time since you posted your enquiry.

Have you tried the National hospital, Queen Square, London?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.