Long haul flight

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all - my ( booked before I knew I needed urgent hip surgery ) weeks holiday to New York ( from Gatwick London ) is looming close - 23rd May . I've kept my spare Ted socks to wear on the flight - and we luckily had booked seats with extra leg room . My consultant has given his approval. And we,ve got a nice hotel . Any other tips anyone can give me re dealing with any inflight discomfort / swelling etc please - thankyou ! Xx

3 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I used to travel a lot on long flights (Africa, South America & Asia) and always wore (or brought to change into) leggings or the like and slides. You will already know all the common sense stuff - keep feel elevated, drinks lots of water and get up to walk around periodically to keep circulation strong. I always found a wall to do some exercises against (I call them chairs) to keep my back and hips sorted out.  I look foward to advice coming from others to deal with post THR elements.

I hope you have a super time - NYC is one of my favourite places to visit for work or play.

• Posted

Thankyou Linda , the chair exercises - i know which ones you mean , sound a good idea . I am really looking forward to it - been twice before and love it xxx
  • Posted

Hi Bini - these are tips I learned from helping son fly to and from Hawaii before his LTHR. 

- Alert the airline that you need a wheelchair. I haven't been in Gatwick in years, but JFK is huge. So the airline person will wheel you to the baggage claim or transportation. One smart person flagged down a golf cart, so both of us rode to the gate.

- Take a folding cane. We didn't know his seat didn't have overhead storage, so he was beside himself when the attendant took it from him. How was he going to get to the commode?

- Aisle seat, then you won't be climbing over someone.

Is it nonstop? How many hours?

Have a wonderful time! I'll try to think if there was anything else. 

• Posted

Thanks Soos - good points ! Gatwick  south terminal is not too bad - I went to Iceland in february before my op and was ok walking around so , as Im walking better and in less pain now think Ill be Ok. I will take my folding cane and I,ve checked on seat guru and we have overhead storage - and luckily had booked an aisle / bulkhead seat for the extra leg room anyway. Yes its non stop - think its about 8 hours going and usually theres headwinds comming back so less , about 6 1/2. Hours so not horrendous. Thankyou for your input xxx 
  • Posted

Hi bini

When did you have your thr? And was it one or both like me?

You are back at work as well eh?

I am thinking you had yours done round about the same time as me.

I take my hat of to you for how well you are doing.. the though of flying to america via gatwiick to me puts the fear of life into me. I have flew to america many times one being glasgow to gatwick then gateick to florida internattinal and it was hard going for me without hip problems.

You seem to be doing amazing and as much as l have wanted to visit new york l would not have the bottle to. Hell l can't even do flipping York in england.

I am so happy for you as that sounds amazing and l am sure you will do it no problem and if you sre back at work to then you are doing great.

I think just following what you would usually do on a long haul flight wear your teds get up and move about drink plenty of fluids is the only thing you can do.

But how exciting l hope you have a brilliant time

Love

Laura

Xx

• Posted

Hi Laura 

Thanks for your reply - i had my right sided revision op from failed resurfacing to THR on 4th March - so only the one side . Had left one done two years ago . Aand yes been back at work two weeks now . I think its a lot easier to get over a single side than bilateral - i take my hat off to you for being brave enough to go for that option ! Im not surprised York was difficult but at least you tried . Must admit I am really looking forward to our trip and am very excited now its looming near - our hotel is very central so makes it handy forveverything xxxxx

• Posted

Well l envy you hopefully the flight willl be fine just make sure you have painkillers to hand drink plenty and move around as much as you can. Probably the excitment will get you through it😎😎 xx
  • Posted

Hi bini, good on you for taking the challenge! Have a great time, but do take care. I would not use the subway, instead would use the yellow cabs - they are relatively inexpensive (compared to our black cabs in the UK). Some excellent advice on this forum - as usual of course! Let us know how you get on, I am sure you'll be fine. Harry
  • Posted

Hi Bini,  

Oh you lucky thing, I've never been to the US unless you count Jamaica.

Flightwise, great idea keeping the lovely TED socks. Lots of hydration to stop cramps and that will also send you on a few trips to the toilet, the walking will do you good,  I would carry your cane as an indicatiion to others that you need a little TLC.  Ankle rotations and raising legs up and down.  Maybe you could take an aspirin before your flight as an added precaution.  Rest with your legs elevated

as soon after your flight as you can, before dashing out for pancakes and maple syrup.

Most important - HAVE A GREAT TIME cheesygrin

• Posted

Thankyou Cels , I,m loving the pancakes and m.....i mean the asprin idea ! Xxx
  • Posted

Hi

i live near gatwick and use it reguarly - but DO book the assisted - it is not so m,uch the walking - it is the standing !!  If you dont you may have to queue a long time in passport control and/ or bagdrop !!  i got assisted the other week 10 weeks post op to go to spain and was glad i did - it was not even a holiday time and it was very busy at the airport ! 

also you can book for the other end which is really a long way and Massive queues ! xx

• Posted

I took a long haul flight when I was three months post op. I did book assistance but didn't need it and ditched it on the way back, having said that I was truly tired when I got there....we are still quite exhausted with the healing in some ways I think.

Aisle seat a must, lots of walking and stretching during the flight. Do not wear anything tight, my leg was definitely a little more swollen from flying

GET THE RIGHT SHOES organised well in advance. You can walk for miles and miles in combination at the airport, so this is not the best moment to wear your new sandals. Choose something that you can walk in for miles at home and remember the marble floors are much harder on the hip than other surfaces. It wouldn't hurt to have assistance if there is any doubt and you be more rested when you get there (dont burn out too soon)

Aspirin is never bad idea and stockings. I didn't bother with either and am still here to tell the tale.

Make sure you pack some of your stronger painkillers in case you overdo things, even if you are not on any meds at all, it is going to be pain trying to organise a dr to prescribe them to you once there, and will be a source of comfort to be independent and have everything you need.

Take your own pillow. Sleeping in a strange bed will be uncomfortable at first, I found taking my pillow and sheepskin very comforting, and slept much better.

Remember to take different sorts of shoes just in case. 

Keep your leg raised when you can to rest it in between adventures, and have the most marvellous time!!!!

• Posted

Brilliant , thank you Rose - so helpful to hear from someone who has done it at the same stage xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.