long lasting a fib

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi does anyone elses a fib last a long time mine usually last between 24 and 29 hours and that's just the rate of the fib it's awful chest pains dizziness etc but my cardio just told me to sit it out only saw him twice and he signed me off .I can cope with the rhythm but not the rate I take verapmil every day but in my opinion it makes no difference I usually have an episode once every 1 or 2 mnths but in the last 2 week I've had 2 pisodes the latter lasting 29 hrs 2 days later still feeling not so good I've spoken to a few people on here but there episodes seem only to last a few hours at most is there anyone else outthere who suffers with it for a long time and how do you cope with it etc

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi my last one lasted 26 hours but usually 12 to 14 hours. Had an ablation 4 weeks ago and ok so far.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hope it works for you im back to see a cardiologist in March going to push for ablation
  • Posted

Just a thought ... have you tried Magnesium in one of its many forms ?  For me it

seems to settle the rhythm, though not the rate, but I am only in first month of trying to work out its effects. Good luck anyway ! 

• Posted

No i haven't it's not the rhythm which bothers me it's the rate constantly fast for over 24 hrs it's very scary and most of time not sure whether to sit it out like cardiologist said or go a n e confusing

• Posted

Hi Zena. Having recently had my 3 rd ablation, must admit to now trying mag supplements too. I did have a huge episode 10 days post op, then a smaller one 2 days after that. Decided after these to try it - nothing ventured n all that! I am now 19 days past that last episode, which is A1 for me. Have hovered close several times, but it hasnt kicked in. Hoping that stays, but with added mag, also trying to up the odds for success.
  • Posted

Thankfully only every had ONE out of dozens that lasted that long and that was IN hospital.    Mine last mainly  2 hours up to 4 hours.     To be honest I am confused about how long it is OK before seeking help.    I use pill in pocket and was told by cardiologist to go to A&E if not settled after 2 hours.   Since then been told to sit it out and that they are not worried unless it goes on for weeks.   Confusing! 

• Posted

It is confusing I was told to sit mine out as well they knew I was having a f for 24 plus hrs I'm back t see a cardiologist march because I've had enough now I'm only 48 have had it over 2 yr nothing else wrong except overweight which I'm doing something about always been active etc so I'm thinking of pushing for ablation even though my cardio couple of years ago says I can't have one I need to be in afib all the time ... I'm not sure if this is correct but something needs doing

• Posted

I guess what rate your pulse is going at when in AF makes a difference.   I was glad when in A&E and the rate at 194 went up to 240!  

• Posted

In the begin ing I was in and out of a n e each time rate 280 I have no idea now as usually sit it out
  • Posted

Mine lasts 4/5 days and I always end up in hospital on ameodorone to get me out or they cardio invert me. I only get it once every 6 months or so though
    • Posted

Still not good I get mine every 1 to 2 mnths but lately every 2 mnth and twice in 1 week so makes me feel awful for a week at least afterwards
  • Posted

Hi. My episodes were every 5-7 days, lasting up to 26 hrs. Ive just had my 3 rd ablation last week, so hoping this finally nails it. After my 1 st one, episodes were shorter, coming down to 12-14hrs. After second, down to 6-8 hrs, and pulse didnt go as high. Used to take verapamil but stopped in agreement with doc as it made me feel unwell all of the time where episodes made me ill some of the time. Never been cardioverted - always manage to come out myself. Only take rivaroxoban now, and hopefully stop that if this last op does its thing. Only you know your episodes and whether you need to seek help. If youre not on thinners, thats something to discuss. Its the stroke risk you need to consider when in episode. Long episodes used to exhaust me, hence my decision to go down the ablation route when offered.
    • Posted

I agree I'm on verapmil my episodes are not every mnth now but I tend to have 2 to3 3 in a 2 week period and then nothing till few mnth later but the episodes are a lot worse fast pulse rate for 29 hours etc feeling rough up to 2 week after going cardio in march pushing for ablation

• Posted

I often had extended afib, approaching 30 to 40 hours, which definitely make you tired and dizzy.  Beta blockers just made me very tired, and barely functional. I found that taurine supplementation helped eliminate most of this after taking it for a week, do some research on it. 
    • Posted

Hi skierguy. Could you please inform me of when you initially started your taurine supplementation and how long you have been on it? How long has this been working for you? My main concern is that if it works now will it eventually stop working or being effective for arrhythmias?

Thank you

Ray

• Posted

I started taking it about five years ago and it was remarkable that it stopped my afib when i took it consistently after about a week and a half. I cut back on the dosage to see how much i needed and after a few years only take it a couple times a week. My afib is under control with only occasional short bouts once a month. Much better than daily extended runs. Did it work at all for you? 
    • Posted

Just started taking it last night. I'm taking 1,000mg twice daily. Well see how I feel in a week. Ive been having multiple daily episodes over the past few weeks. What dosage did you start out with? So for you it took a week before you noticed improvement?

• Posted

Took 1000 mg twice daily, took about a week and a half.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.