Long term effects from Dothiepin

Posted , 2 users are following.

Has anyone been on Dothiepin in the past and experienced memory loss for some of the time you were on it?

I was on Dothiepin for 15 years back in the 90's, things happened back then (mostly good things) that I have absolutely no recollection of, it's as if that time has been wiped from my memory and no I don't have Alzheimer's biggrin. Anyone esle experienced similar?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

No Phoebe ive been on Dosulepin for 11yrs and not got memeory problems.
    • Posted

While I was on it I didn't have problems it's since then, I can't recall a lot of what happened back then.
    • Posted

I can't come off it as i suffer head pain. I take 6/ 25mg a day and even when i get down to 5 i suffer terrible head pain, so it's looking like i'm on it for life.
    • Posted

Yeah withdrawal is a b**ch, I weaned myself off them after 15 years, I was on 75mgs 3 times a day, I have to say though that my depression did improve while I was on them, that's the only thing I do remember.
  • Posted

Yes. I was on it for two 6-month periods about 15 years ago. I have almost a complete blank for those periods - I can remember things that happened regularly, but many one-off events that my family remember clearly are simply 100% not there for me. I stopped taking it because I didn't want to have no memory of my kids growing up.

Also, my memory never properly recovered afterwards - I had a brilliant memory beforehand but it's been terrible ever since. I'm 43 and don't have Alzheimers. I would advise avoiding the drug if you value your memory. It's not worth it.

• Posted

Hi luciee,

I was beginning to think I was the only one, I have forgotten so much it's heartbreaking, I too don't have Alzheimer's, my husband often says 'do you remember when' and then goes on to say something that happened or something funny one of our boys did or said and it really upsets me that I have no idea what he is on about.

• Posted

Me too. You're not the only one. Sometimes I get my family to tell me as many details as they can and that helps a little bit. Maybe you could try looking at photos too? I think practice helps memory and maybe with enough reminders things could come back a bit? I'm thinking of mentioning it to my doctor some time because it's important that people report side-effects so that they can warn other people. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.