Long term high blood pressure

Posted , 8 users are following.

my mother is 71 & has had high blood pressure for over a year. It is currently 239 and has been over 250 recently. She is on medication and has been on various medication without success.she has been in hospital and has asked to go back in as she has been told she will have a stroke etc due to her blood pressure !! Any suggestions ??

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Do whatever it takes to prevent a stroke.  My mother had one at 71years old ans it left her with brain damage and unable to speak. She went into a care home for 5years living a horrible life but we had no choice and thought this was the safest place for her. She had a bad fall and broke both legs unable to  have an operation because of ill health. She unfortunately died of complications.   Please do everything you can to help prevent this dreadful thing happening it effects the whole family in a very disturbing way and is heartbreaking
    • Posted

That is terrible Margaret ! You have my deepest sympathy. There seems to be no help for this !!

• Posted

Hi Graham. Your mothers systolic readings are a cause for concern. To be honest I am not sure anyone on this forum can give the best advice as we tend to suffer from lower readings which we can reduce thru simple "self help" type activities. Given your mums age and high systolic readings I would either INSIST on seeing a GP today or go to A and E. Her medication is clearly not working and this has to be a priority. Once her readings stabilise/reduce then we can all give you ideas to keep bp lower thru diet, exercise, lifestyle changes etc but first you must seek medical help.

Good luck. Do let us know how she gets on.

• Posted

I both sympathise and empathise with your Mum, Graham.  I am also an awkward case when it comes to high blood pressure and its treatment, and am told I'm at risk of stroke, heart attack and other nasties.  Very scary, particularly as I have a very close friend of 71 who has never recovered fully from her first stroke and has now had a second - not caused by either high blood pressure or high cholesterol!

However, as Fisherman has said, I doubt anyone here can given any useful advice to help your Mum - she definitely needs some expert intervention.

I guess if she's already been hospitalised she will have had all the necessary tests such as CT/MRI scans on kidneys for instance to see whether there is something amiss that is causing the high blood pressure.  If not, then I would ask why not?

Also, what is her diet like?  For instance, she needs to completely cut salt out of her diet.  If she is overweight she needs to lose it either with the help of a dietician or her GP.  Does she have any form of exercise?  Even brisk walking for half an hour a couple of times a day has been found helpful by some people with high blood pressure.

Do wish her all the best from us and do come back and let us know how she gets on.

• Posted

If I were you I would be absolutely INSISTING that my mother be referred to a Cardiologist IMMEDIATELY!  Failing that take her to A & E and insist the same!  Why hasn't your GP done this already?!
    • Posted

She has had this done. She has been in hospital and they done almost nothing. They now say she must go back to hospital but dont know what they will do ! It has gone on for more than a year without answers !
  • Posted

Insist on a referral IMMEDIATELY to a Cardiologist, or Cardio-Thoracic Consultant, and don't be fobbed off.  Failing that, take her to A & E and insist on the same!  I discovered that you have to be 'pushy' to get round the system, and your Mum certainly needs some urgent intervention to prevent a possible catastrophe!  Good luck to you both! 

• Posted

Does it stay that high all day and do you have a BP monitor at home to check it?

MIne went up to 232/114 one day last month with an irregular heart rate

that they said was AF again. I went to A&E and they kept me for two nights without any actual treatment apart from one Amlodipine soon after arrival. My BP went to its more normal highs and my heart rate settled down. They booked me for a future 7 day ECG monitor and cardiology appointment.

Now my irregular heart rate has returned and the 7 day monitor is two weeks away.

• Posted

Yes it stays high all day and has been high for more than 12 months.She has been in hospital for a weeks stay without much success. She has been told sh is in high risk of stroke etc but no answers as yet. The medication keeps changing but 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.