Long term possible ETD, Sinus and Head pressure issues

Posted , 54 users are following.

I've had chronic tinnitus, ear popping and blocked feeling in my ears over the past 3 years (mainly inmy left ear). Alongside the discomfort, I've had with this issue, I've had various sinus pain and extreme facial pain for 3 weeks once when I literally thought I was having a hammer smashed against my head. also seen ENT and been on nasal steroids and sprays which didn't help in the long term.

The problem originally flared up when I had a bad head cold 3 years ago and that's when my ear ringing and popping started. I was on high dosage of inflammatory s for my head pain and it instantly disappeared almost immediately and never returned upto now.

I've now had a cold which seems to have lasted for 2 weeks. And my god its been a misery. I've had buffered hearing, difficultly popping my ears, head, facial, eye pressure and pain. My sinusus feel like they are going to pop out of my skull and I feel like I've been banged over the head whilst asleep. I've also had trouble sleeping for the past few weeks which doesn't help whatsoever.

From what I'm aware I've not got any allergies, I'm going back to ENT over the next few weeks so we'll see whats said. However last time I had a camera put into my sinuses and it was all clear the only thing suggested by ENT was possible tubes in my ears?

Wondering if anybody else has similar problems and any advice for me. I'm only 21 and looking to start my career over summer when I finish university and this has almost controlled my life for years.

6 likes, 101 replies

101 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You clearly have sinusitis.

Viral infections can cause sinusitis, but it sounds as if yours is a bacteriological one. You can find the symptoms on the web.

I would advise you to consult a pharmacist immediately about your problem.

b?ut it could be. They can arise as a consequence of viral infection.

• Posted

Eustachian Tube problems are normally secondary reactions to infections or allergies arising in the nose and sinuses. Unless the primary causes are brought under control or cleared then your E.T problems will continue.

This is why you have been prescribed nasal spray steroids. You should take them even if it does not appear to you it is having a longer term effect. They are difficult to administer, take properly. You should also be taking an anti-histamine.

The main difference between viral infections and allergies in terms of the reaction is that allergic ones tend to be chronic. Some allergies are seasonal, others are not. It depends upon what is causing the allergy.

The 'popping' you refer to is your E.T. functioning. This suggests your E.T. is not blocked.

Your pains in the face are a symptom of a maxillary sinus problem. It is similar to the tooth pain that is also a symptom. It relates to how the head nerves function. These are referred 'pains' because they do not arise in the places where the problems are.

Your tinnitus is probably mucus in your ears. This what an E.N.T. consultant said to me once.

I have had allergic based sinusitis and associated Eustachian Tube problems all my life. I have developed a profound understanding of my condition because of the advice I have been offered by my consultant and what I have researched in the literature.

The answer to you question depends upon what is causing your problem. You may never be able to clear your Eustachian Tube problem, but you should be able to exercise better control of that condition. You sinusitis should respond to treatment. I am unclear of whether tinnitus ever clears.

Suffering E.T. problems is not pleasant. I experience severe pain at times. There are no simple answers to such problem. But I do not believe your E.T. is the source of your problem.

I am offering you this because I have an empathy with other suffers.

I would advise you and anyone else experiencing such problems to research reliable websites. I.e. not just forums.

I advise you to read my other contributions on this discussion topic.

• Posted

Hi,

I can see you are knowledgeable about etd and wondered if you could advise. About two weeks ago our car door was slammed with me in it I immediately felt a discomfort in my right ear. A few days later it felt full a sort of pressure feeling and everything sounds loud and echoey. I feel locked in a fish bowl . I am very claustrophobic and with the left ear joining in it is hard to cope.

My ears click and sometimes by putting my finger in my ears and sort of yawning it will clear for a few seconds only to plug again. I have noises or loss of hearing.

My dr has given me beconase but I note you say it needs to be delivered correct. I was given no advice is there a youtube video or can you describe the method to me.

Many thanks

Maria

• Posted

Hi, you sat ETD is secondary... i developed ear popping everytime i swallow about 5 weeks ago... this was right after i was diagnosed hyperthyroid... and placed on metroplol... could this be due to hormone imbalance... i dont have any pain or discomofort in my ears.

thanks

• Posted

HI Awelshman,

I to have what appears to be ETD. About 4 years ago I had a severe case of Brochitis which lasted a couple month. I was never quite the same since. Increased tinitus, some equalibrium issues, pressure between my eyes, cronic PND. I can never pop my left ear as my right pops easily and any addition pressure attempted will render me much worse for my efforts. It has been suggested by my family doctor that I have ETD but was never confirmed by my ENT. This whole issue becomes nebulus and very frustrating. Thanks for you input and suggestion...

• Posted

I too have been suffering same symtoms. For over 2 weeks I've had horrible headaches to where my brain felt like it was on fire. Then stiff neck, head pressure to where I cannot apply any pressure to my head because it gets much worse. Feels like I'm under water. Sometimes manageable sometimes not. Sinus pressure galore. No congestion or cold. Now for 5 days ears popping excessive yawning/tired puffy cheeks one day. Can't get comfortable at all. Been to Dr several times and to diff Dr's. First said tension headache now this one is treating me for sinusitis. Amoxicillin and nasal spray. 3 days still no relief. Frustrated/exhausted/scared/etc. I need answers.

• Posted

Hello I have a question. Last week out of the blue I got pains in my nose with craving sounds as though I was very congested. Anyway right after that happened I was getting severe pains on either side of my head. But always pain the the nose first with also like pressure. Went to allergist. Put me on prednisone for 5 days. Much better with that. But I am getting pressure in my face. Forehead and somewhat of a headache. Been taking tyenol all day. It's helping. But of course not completely. Could this be sins us infection??? No fever. Runny nose but nothing really comes out. Please advise.

• Posted

Thank you for your detailed reply. I've read around this topic plenty as I've been suffering with these problems for years now and not only does it make me feel depressed, and out of it but it prevents me sleeping proper for weeks sometimes and then I feel exhausted and nobody understands!

I was told by the ENT I saw that the extreme one sided sinus/migraine type headache I had was caused by inflammation (possibly my Eustachian tube) which was therefore touching a nerve in my face and causing severe pain, disabling pain in fact. I do question why my ENT said a last resort would be tubes, because surely she knew that the popping means it is working correctly? However I've read on many sites that this can still be a result of it not functioning correctly therefore it's always inflamed therefore causing long term issues? Also the my discomfort started when I had a cold, and my ear makes all kinds of crazy noises when I've got a cold. Or does this mean anything?

Either way I'll fight to get to the bottom of my issue however my main concern is having pointless treatment/surgery. I've also read about TMJ etc.

Thanks again

• Posted

I was also wondering if anybody would recommend using a netipot/nasal irrigation to see if this helps my problem? I've been reluctant to try this because I was worried it could damage my ears if they are blocked etc.

• Posted

Would not advice it. Tried this andalso the nasal irrigator plunger which is far easier and safer. You can get either on amazon.
  • Posted

Hi, I don't normally post in these forums but I have exactly what you describe. Narrow airways and eustachian dysfunction. Whenever I get a cold it becomes terrible agony in my sinuses but my entire head feels as though it is subject to a vacuum, as well as the well-documented fatigue, pulsating feelings, spaced-out feeling and headaches. The last twice I've had a terrible cold this has not resolved easily and I am currently on co-amoxiclav, day 10, with little improvement. Taking fluticasone nasal spray (12 months), which reduced the number of colds but I wonder if it is now not working as well as I am now really ill again. I suggested a short course of prednisone to my GP, who said it's not 'normally' given. However, I feel there is so much inflammation that anything to reduce it and help drain the air spaces would be worth a try. ENT wants to perform sinus surgery on my nose, including bones and is not keen to insert ear tubes, which is a shame as any relief would be heaven!

Yes, used a neti-pot - tried saline and even manuca honey, but doesn't really help. Steam, hot water bottles pressed on different parts of the head, trying to lie in 100 positions to 'drain it'.

I wonder if it could be a primary or subclass antibody deficiency? Or even a form of vasculitis?

It's not much fun, is it? And it's rather frustrating that GPs and ENTs don't always come across as being investigative or interested that, in lieu of definitive evidence and a roadmap as to what to do, their patients feel as though they are about to die!

• Posted

Hi Rachel, how long have you been suffering for? and did your symptoms come on after a cold or different circumstances? Mine started when I was about 18, I never had a single ear infection, or issues with colds whatsoever until then. I had a very bad head cold and since then I've had the constant tinnitus and popping ears... and the came the severe headaches etc about a year after.

It's funny really because I was on antibiotics a few weeks ago when I wrote the above post for a cold, and I was really struggling with headaches which seemed to be especially behind my eyes. Really bad pressure that almost pulsates in my head and above my eyes and severe sinus pressure. I took 1 single Dicolofenac 50mg (Strong anti-inflammatory) and believe it or not my discomfort sinus/head pressure wise has literally disappeared again. I've not had any issues for around 2 weeks again and I've started taking antihistamines also now.

I'm due to see my ENT in April.. only the second time I've seen one since December 2012 so it will be interesting for them to see that over a year later my issues are still identical. I also wonder the same question weather its literally the fact that we've had a bad virus that has just damaged our immue system to the sense of our ears etc?

And I totally agree with what your saying about doctors and ENT's. There seems to be an extreme lack of information, research regarding the issues we have. The amount of people, articles, forums etc. I've seen online who suffer from this or similar symptoms surely they should invest some time and money to give us a chance to stop suffering?

Thanks for your reply, any info that you may have please share, or any questions feel free to ask!

• Posted

I agree that this area could be investigated further .  I haven't given up, but I've stopped seeing doctors for now.  The only tip so far that helps me is keeping my ears warm in the  fall , winter and spring.  (I live in the Toronto area)  I don't like wearing hats all the time , so I opt for headbands.  I am 46 and you will see me with a headband in certain spring or fall days when even little kids are not wearing hats any more.  Also if the pain gets really bad I will take sinus medicine. I wish I would  have know about this earlier.
  • Posted

Dear Jacko,

Thank you for your reply. Perhaps rather that allowing yourself to become depressed you should start taking more decisive actions to solve your problems. You are clearly young. You must learn to listen more and learn from your experiences.

You should have read the information provided on the Health U.K. website on 'Sinusitis', which has been written by doctors which explains that viral infections can cause 'sinusitis' and, on E.T.D. which explains that viral infections can cause 'E.T.D'. It also refers to chronic problems.

They also advise on using nasal steriods spray. They also confirmed my advice that through reducing the inflammation in the back of the nose (It should have stated the nose and sinus) that the Eustachian Tube problem normally clears up. Your consultant has clearly given a reliable prognosis and advised you how to treat your condition.

There is no evidence you took any medication or sought suitable advice from what you said to me initially. If you are not going to take advice or your medication, then you can expect to suffer and not to resolve your problems. Until you resolve that problem it will impossible to determine whether you having any pain from your Eustachian Tube.

Inflammation is like a fire. It the body's defence system. Everyone experience inflammation when they have viral infections, including some degree of sinusitis and E.T. problems during them. Yours is simply more severe for some reason.

If anyone is experiencing chronic inflammation, then a viral infection will make the problem worse. Heat can also increase inflammation.

The maxillary sinus is like sump. It can contains a lot of mucus. It drains upwards. Very often during viral infections the very narrow sinus drainage channel will become blocked. This causes the sinusitis and the severest pain, because of the pressure building up inside it.

If it is not treated effectively, then the bacteria gets trapped by the mucus in your sinus and this will turn into even more painful bacteriological infection. Any pharmacist should be able to confirm this to you. This will allow you to be more informed when you see your consultant.

My reference to your Eustachian Tube working relates to the fact that 'popping' is your ear drum responding to changes in air pressure. Ironically I have just experienced one while writing this. This is exceedingly rare for me.

Your E.T. is not clogged. If was clogged, blocked for long periods, then this would create ear infections, because air would not be getting into your inner ear. I did not claim you did not have E.T. problems. You should be able to find a reference from some E.N.T. consultant on the web to confirm this.

In your own words you consultant explained your frontal sinus problem, which is either a sinus problem or a pure headache. Severe E.T. problems would have caused you earache. There is no evidence to suggest you have E.T.D. whatsoever.

In respect of your reference to an operation, a operation might be needed if you had deviated septum, which would make you more inclined to have sinus infections, but it is likely to cause you more problems that it will solve.

I would not read too much into your E.N.T. examination. The procedure would not look inside your maxillary sinus. I had a scan five years ago and I knew at the time that I would it would not show up my problem. Inflammation can vary during the day. Your sinus can be mildly inflamed without it being very painful.

You are too obsessed with your ears. The curse of the type of problem is that is very abstract, it cannot be clearly seen. I cannot say with absolutely certainty that I do not have some inflammation in my sinus today, for instance, and I know I had a mild problem with my frontal sinus over the years, but I have not had any symptoms there. The Eustachian Tube is a symptom that the only symptom that you can physically clearly recognise.

I would be interested in what steriod nasal spray you were given, but I will not be prepared to advise you on what to take. This would not be fair upon G.P. practises. Pharmacists can advise most people what to take.

You are lucky that I am retired and I chosen to respond to what I offered you, because I found your response dismissive. Very few E.N.T. consultants would have met someone like me, because my condition is so rare. I have enjoyed the support of very informed consultant.

I might offer you further advice if you advise me of the short and longer term outcome of your problems.

You will be aware that there are lot of people struggling with E.T. problem throughout the world because there is currently no validated, proved means of directing attacking the E.T. with medication. I would be advisable for you not to try to attack the problem.

Howard

• Posted

Dear Howard.

I've been experiencing all of these same symptoms (not asthma) for about 3 months.  Based on an MRI revealing enough junk in all my sinuses, Dr but me on amoxicillin to fight a possible chronic bacterial sinus infection.   I'm a very curious as to what meds you mention taking.  

Thank you very much,

Les

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.