Long term recovery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Ruptured left Achiles tendon 16 months ago, conservative treatment, boot and gradual partial and full weight bearing. Physio and back on my feet walking reasonably well a year ago. I've still got a weak calf muscle, unable to toe stand, but can support about 70% of my weight. Since September I've noticed increasing hamstring tightness, high and lower back discomfort when walking more than a few miles. Tendon and calf feel fine, just weak. Back to the physio yesterday and given a protocol of exercises to follow 2 or 3 times a day, stretches and lifts. Anyone else comment on this? I'm Uk, age 66

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Tim. Sorry to hear you are still struggling. I ruptured mine in May, conservative treatment and now I am walking well with no real issues. The key to my recovery is constant toe raises, stair raises and stretching. I can single heel raise up to 75% vs my good leg so lots more to do, but according to Physio it is all about calf muscle strengthening as the achilles is fixed. Keep on posting as your blogs were really encouraging in my early days after the rupture. Keep going and build that calf muscle
    • Posted

Cheers, and thanks for the encouragement! You are right, but i think its like dieting; it needs to be done all the time! Progress seemed fine till September last year when i took part in a charity walk, 9 miles of mixed flat and steep footpaths. No problem at the time, but over the next week the hamstrings were very tight and never seemed to loosen off again. That and 2 colds since xmas each lasting about 3 weeks (still sniffling a bit) keeps me not wanting to go the gym and feeling very sorry for myself!! Still, spring is coming and I did a good days exercise yesterday :-)

Afraid my physio said exactly the same thing.

• Posted

Hi Tim, long time no speak. Sorry to hear your still having troubles. To hear your still struggling after 16 months is not good, maybe age plays a part on his as i was fully recovered at 24 (25 now). I run and wouldnt notice anything now. I'd keep on the toe lifts, squats and streches. It does question me though at 16 months and still struggling is something not right? have you have a scan lately? i think it took me 5-6 months to be walking about again with no limp. 
    • Posted

Hi! I think as we've seen on this forum, its a very variable problem, so I suppose I'm grateful that I've no pain, and am mobile, with a bit of a problem. Could be age... I know things do take longer to repair, but more likely I didnt work hard enough on the mobility. Both doc and physio say the tendon is fine, and you can see a difference in calf muscle size.. its getting there, but slowwwwwwww!
  • Posted

I'm just starting to discover what I can and can't do, about a week before I'm hopefully out of the boot and the weirdest thing is trying to stand on tip toe. I can't even get a flicker of movement at the moment, it feels like someone has super glued my heel to the floor! I guess this what you are referring to as a weak calf muscle Tim?
    • Posted

Yes, thats it. Be carefull not to stress the tendon at this stage though, you don't want to re-rupture!!! When sitting down, feet flat on the floor, I can lift the heel no problem, but all the standing exercises need quite a bit of support from the good leg, and i certainly can't toe stand. Unfortunately, the calf muscle and tendon do a lot of the work when walking, and thagts where I seem to have stuuck,about 70%. Partner says it still looks less sexy than the good one!
    • Posted

I'm not trying too hard, just noticed the lack of power!I can raise my heel fine when seated and with no weight on the heel so maybe that's as much as I can expect at this stage.

I'm hoping I can build the calf up reasonably well when I resume cycling. Can't wait to get back on my bike, even if it's just on the turbo trainer at low resistance at first. I won't start until the PT says it's ok though. He's a very competent cyclist himself so hoping he will help in that area as much as possible!

• Posted

How is the physio going?  

It is amazing what a torn achsilles does

to a calf muscle.

I had tight calf muscles since I started biking and

used "the stick" if u google it it will come up.

Helped a lot but  did not competely get rid of the problem.

Hope the exercises help

• Posted

Feeling a bit better now; exercises need doing and they do help... did a walk down the road and back with no adverse effect this afternoon. Just ordered a stick.... they look fun! Thanks....  hoping to do a walk or 2 this weekend

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.