long waiting time again to see gynaecology

Posted , 6 users are following.

well there isnt much chance im gonna be seen within this 18 week timescale, just received my acknowledgement letter regarding my doctors referral but it states due to long waiting list it will be between 16/18 weeks wait from referral from doctor just to see someone at gynaecology , then another 12 week maximum wait for operation , this is ridiculous considering my repair was only done 4 months ago, pehaps if ladies had follow up appointments after these operations there would not be such a long wait when things go wrong afterwards , there is also no choose to book as letter states i will be gven 2 reasonable offer of appointments and i should be willing to accept any appointment at any of my nhs trust hospitals 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Helen,

I can't believe you are waiting so long, today is my consultant appointment 15 weeks since op, Hopefully ill get the all clear to go back to work now.

ive also been referred back by gp to see consultant and that appt has come through for late august which hopefully after today i will cancel. 

I suppose it all depends on where abouts in the country you are and what funding your hospital has. 

good luck for when you do see your consultant and very best wishes

mik xx

• Posted

Beetlebugmik i wasnt even given a follow up appointment, was told they dont give then anymore ,  i was due to get "all repairs done that needed done" but the surgeon decided not to fix my rectoele , hopefullly you will get the all clear, good luck x

• Posted

Hello helen this is really frustrating and I would have thought in view of your circumstances you should be treated as a priority. There's obviously exceptional circumstances that is causing this, lack of doctors perhaps and summer holidays always cause a delay but that shouldn't impact on the waiting lists. So sorry you're having to wait helen, you could always ring the secretary and ask her to let you know if there is any cancellations though x

• Posted

matron last time my doctor referred me i had a 24 week wait so its a bit shorter but very frustrating , i just feel that if perhaps i was given a follow up appointment rather than being written off as soon as i left hospital i might not have such a long wait , it was the same as when i was there last time, they are bringing in more staff and doing late night/weekend appointments but such a long wait is just ridiculous x
    • Posted

You are having such a hard time, I think matron is right ring the Gynae secretary, they know if someone has cancelled etc and might be able to help you out.

It is so frustrating for you. 

• Posted

You are absolutely right helen a follow up appointment in my view is essential so if there are any problems they can be addressed much sooner. If you don't have a follow up you are discharged from that consultant's care the minute you walk out of the hospital doors which is not good. It seems as though the waiting lists are so long in your area a follow up appointment would only add to the long waiting lists, in their view but I wonder how much time could be saved by seeing everyone post op. After all it's just a short appointment. I do sympathise with you helen because it's not acceptable.

• Posted

Helen I really feel for you. I can't believe that the hospital don't offer follow up appts as standard. I got my post op at 9 wks. Rang up day I left hospital and was given appt over phone. I was discharged at appt as they said everything was healing well even though I was still raw at top of vagina. I am now 12 wks and feel as if it's all dropping again as there is a small bulge. I rang my physio on mon (just gone) and even though I've been discharged she spoke to my consultant and they've gave me an appt for next Friday. If I'd gone to GP it would have been a new referal. I'm so lucky and thankful that my physio was able to help me. I really hope you get an appt really soon. Good luck.

• Posted

There are an increasing number of consultants (not just Urogynaecologists) who do not offer post op appointments now. There are a number of reasons the main one being pressure from senior managers in the NHS to reduce the waiting times to meet government standards. However in more populated areas such as big cities there are still delays. There is now a lot of emphasis put on shared care between the hospital and the GP where a GP is supposed to take over our care on discharge in many cases however this doesn't help if the GP hasn't had recent gynae training. This is why in these cases I advise ladies to check the surgery website, look at each GP's interests and qualifications and choose the most appropriate to make an appointment with. Every GP surgery should have at least 1 doctor who has this experience. I think in the current climate less patients will be offered that important post op appointment sadly.

• Posted

I would just like to say that in my area I was unable to get through to the Consultant's secretary pre op.  I was also told that post op they had no secretary at all in that department for a couple of months.  This meant no letters written and colleagues in the department such as physios and nurses didn't know the patient's history.  I was only able to get through to the appointments staff by phone.

• Posted

Sorry to butt in here moira but couldn't help myself after reading your post. This is utterly disgraceful and very risky because there would be total lack of communication. I'm surprised they were allowed to get away with it ????

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.