Loo seat

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi everyone, I know I asked last time, but what does everyone do when you are out and need the loo, regards the high seat before restrictions are lifted, as I find this is hampering me going too far or for tooling, also has anyone used a regular loo before the 12weeks

Cheers everyone.

Lynne

3 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HiLynne,I must admit the first few weeks I didn't go far in the car because I was uncomfortable after 1/2 hour,but made sure I went before,but it does make you think twice,Take care Michael.
  • Posted

I managed by half sitting and half standing not very comfortable but needs must. If I had to use a regular loo or a seat I was taught to put out the bad hip leg in front of you and then lower yourself down, that way your not breaking any rules. The disabled loos help with this as there is usually something to hold on to and they are often higher too. xx
    • Posted

Forgot to say too that if the disabled toilets are locked, I bought a key from the tourist information centre which opens any disabled toilet. Think it cost £4.29, not sure if things are the same in Scotland. xx
  • Posted

Hi Lynne

Go to the disabled loo. Msny of them have a raised seat and even the most basic have giid grab handles either side. Start from a small pace away from the edge of the loo, take your weight on your good leg and arms, using the grab handles. Slowly bend your good leg while keeping the bad one with straight knee well out in front. As you bend your good knee, lean your torso back as well until you're sitting on the loo. Keep your bad leg straight out in front and yor torso leaning back the whole time. When you're finished reverse the procedure, keeping your weight on the good leg assisted by your arms on the handles and your tirso leaning slightly back until you're uoright again.

• Posted

Haven't seen you about here in a while. I hope you are doing well.
  • Posted

such a great question !!!  to be honest, I still have the raised seat at home - 

however, had to use "normal" toilets before 12 weeks post op and it was challenging - plus the fact that waiting is no longer an option - 

I was told the same thing, operated leg extended and then lower yourself while triyng to hold on to something - getting the toilet paper is another challenge and then getting up .... oh, to be a man !!!!!   

I am not looking forward to deal with this again after 2nd THR ...  

big hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Lynne,

I have used disabled toilets in the first six weeks.

Best wishes

Ella 

• Posted

Hi Lynne,

The advice is to lower yourself slowly keeping your operated leg out in front of you. Most disabled toilets are higher than normal to help with the restrictions but even normal ones, providing you follow the advice, will be perfectly safe.

Ali x

• Posted

Hi everyone, many thanks for all your great advice, as usual this forum comes through for everyone, love, Lynne xx

• Posted

Hi Lynne, 

i used a normal seat loo at 4.5 weeks, and threw my own seat away at 5 weeks, I mentioned this at my 6 weeks check and my consultant never raised an eyebrow,

All hospitals and people are different

linzi xx

• Posted

Hi Lynne 

i have done all manner of things.  I used disabled when I could and I also have a seat in a bag that I carry when traveling e.g to hotels or friends.  I have also had to use normal ones twice and found getting down not a problem but getting up quite a challenge. 

Now at a full 12 weeks I'm feeling back to normal but still used disabled ones in shopping centre today. 

Xx

• Posted

Hi Lynn, well us blokes stand up half the time, lol the the other half the time...redface Gills leg out straight method was OK, I only had to do that for the first week, it was awkward, but dooable, and I never went out anyway for long enough to want to use a loo.  eek

The aids I had were useless, I just did not fit and the Donut type was just too squashy and pointless sitting on, but a lighter man might find it worth the money if he is in pain sticking out the operated leg, or worried about the dislocation, feels it pull too much, but i just bit the bullet and lowered myself down slowely and carefully got up the same way,  idea  it was annoying though and a little worrying...cool

Glad you are also healing faster on your second operation too.

Ian.

• Posted

Think about a sheewee, it is a gadget that enables ladies to stand to wee. Recommended for Glastonberry, camping etc. practice in the shower first. I used mine a couple of times when the loos were very very low. Small enough to fit in handbag
  • Posted

I ditched the raised toilet seat apparatus about week 4, might have even been week 3. But the French toilets are higher than the American toilets. 

You can remove the raised toilet thing and practice at home. What I did was, stretch out my operated leg so it was straight, sticking in front of me, then I used my arms to push myself up on my non operated leg, I did not put any weight on my operated leg during the rising up motions. If you have a second bathroom in the house without the raised toilet seat on it, you can practice there? Did you get a walker? Practicing with the walker would be even better.

• Posted

I found I could squat if I had something like a hand basin to hold on too. ( might need to check seat for spills after)I took the she-wee in my bag but never had to use it. My restrictions were lifted at 6 weeks and I was using a regular loo at 8 weeks.

Tooling?????

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.