Looking for advice!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone! I've never posted in a group like this before, but I'm just reaching out to see if anyone has a similar experience/story. In October of 2014, I was in extreme pain and ended up in the emergency room. Ultrasound confirmed I had a 6cm left ovarian cyst. I had a follow up appointment with my gyno the next day and he suggested I wait it out for a week and call if the pain got any worse. I waited for about three days in the worst pain I have ever experienced. I didn't go to any of my classes or work. I ended up having the cyst removed about a week after the emergency room. Since then, I am currently on my fourth cyst (doctor told me first one was corpus luteal so I'm assuming thats what they all are?). I have constant shooting pain in my left side and back. I have adjusted to the pain but am now experiencing multiple new effects. For about the past two months I have been experiencing extreme hot flashes (I'm talking sweat running down my face hot), nipple pain, and have gained about 40 pounds since my surgery (have not changed eating habits at all). I am 27 years old, a full time student and employee, overall in good shape/health, and have been on birth control since 16. My doctor just seems to be brushing me off and the only option he is offering me is to remove my ovary. This is not a solution I am comfortable with. I am currently researching for a new doctor. I often feel like the doctor, friends, and family don't truly understand how much I am suffering. I would love to hear back if you have a similar experience or any advice!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, just read your post ... I just joined this "chatroom" or forum on female health problems last night. I was just recently (3wks ago) diagnosed with an 8cm Endometrial Ovarian Cyst on my right ovary... This is a very new ObGyn who finally figured out what has been contributing to my pelvic pain that I've been experiencing over the last 3-4 years. I've been to so many Doctors, I felt like I was going crazy! Not to be too personal but my pain has prevented me to have any sort of physical relations with my significant other.

If you are not feeling comfortable with the answers as well as results of your current Dr, I highly advise a second, third, even fourth opinion! You know your body better than anyone!

Just for your knowledge, I'm 36 & have had 3 miscarriages in my twenties. So I went to this new ObGyn with intentions of a partial hysterectomy. The pain has been going on for too long!

This Dr I totally love! He suggested an Ablation to rid my heavy and painful periods and a laparoscopy to determine if I have endometriosis. We proceeded with this plan. He had me have an ultrasound the next day which was what ultimately discovered the "grapefruit" size Endometrial Ovarian Cyst. The type that doesn't go away on its own ... In regards to your concern with having your Ovary removed, I can't tell you what to do or what is best ... But now that he's discovered this Ovarian Cyst, he wants to remove the cyst and my right ovary during the laparoscopy. For me, I am content with this decision. But I also trust my Dr and feel like he's truly listening and respecting my choices.

He did inform me that even though my right ovary is covered by the cyst, the ovary is still functioning. Just too complicated to remove the cyst and keep the ovary. Good news is that he says I won't require any hormone replacement since my left ovary will do as much as having both. Something you may want to consider ?

As for the types of Ovarian Cysts, from my own online research there seems to be quite a few different kinds. But I would guess that they'd all be the same since you've had 4 cysts now.

Please let me clarify, I highly respect your decision to keep your Ovaries! It can be annoying and time consuming but I think you're making the right decision to find a new Dr!

I definitely can relate to the hot flashes, extremely sweaty (dripping), my breasts double in size about 2 weeks prior to my period and are extremely painful!!! Which my family Dr said that I have Cystic fibroid breast disease! Sounds scary but its just painful. I know I have gained some weight but idk for sure (I have an eating disorder and try to avoid getting on the scale)

Your recent symptoms sound so strange, especially having them come on from nowhere. Thats odd to gain 40lbs at your young age and if you haven't done anything differently. The only thing that comes to mind is that perhaps your hormones are more out of control then you think.

I've learned over the past few years just how much hormones affect us in strange ways!

For example., I've never been able to take birth control bc the hormones are so harsh on my system and I would gain weight as well.

I doubt its birth control since you've been on them consistently.

Are you able to have a full fasting blood draw to determine your overall health? I did one a few years ago and it showed I have low testosterone levels ? The main thing that crossed my mind when you mentioned hot flashes, sweats, and weight gain was hypothyroidism.

I noticed in 2011 that out of nowhere I was experiencing strange symptoms like you. I was VERY exhausted, major brain fog and really hot all of the time! Needing 12+ hours of sleep but still having anxiety even though I was tired. My Dr ran labs for my thyroid and found that I have hypothyroidism sad

My sister has it too, it can be genetic. I wasn't hyped about taking synthetic thyroid pills like synthroid, so I stubbornly took nothing for a year and finally got brave and decided to try natural thyroid meds ... The kind that are more bioidentical to our bodies ~ hesitant since I am a vegetarian & the natural kind are made from desicated pig or cow glandular. They have helped me a lot!!!

It's just that your symptoms really sound like you could have hypothyroidism. Even with my thyroid meds I still get really hot and tired. Better than before though!!! I hope I don't sound like I'm some know it all or insulting your intelligence.

I started realizing with myself that even thyroid problems or thyroid hormones are still hormonal and affect my entire body, including the female issues. My sister who's 33 now was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a few years before me. And she gained a lot of weight very quickly. She has the same hot flashes & constantly hot and sweaty as well.

Anyways ~ I tend to ramble! I hope I didn't make this more about myself rather than your issues. Sometimes it helps to be thorough and not feel like you're going through this process alone. It can be very difficult to have Dr's, family and friends not understand what you are feeling.

I hope that I was able to help you, even if just a little bit! And I do hope you are able to find a great Doctor who takes very good care of you ~

You are more than welcome to message me anytime if there's anything I can do to help, even just to check in smile

Best Wishes!!!

Tristan

• Posted

I'm the exact same ive gained 9lb and have no reason why my boobs are in constant pain have pain in my left side back and legs ive had two removed from my right ovary and now have one on my left, they brush it of like you shouldn't get any pain from a cyst but my god you do! Ive been told if it comes back on my right ovary that I need to loose it because I can't keep living like this and now I'm at the point that I want it gone can't handle it anymore
  • Posted

I am 50 and just had a 7 cm cyst, both ovaries, both Fallopian tubes removed and a d&c. At my age my doctor recommended removing my ovaries in order to not have anymore cysts, which I was fine with. If I were you I would get a second opinion. The cyst I had removed caused lower back pain, pain shooting down my legs and also pressure on my pelvic bone so I a super glad to see it gone. I have read you only need one ovary in order to get pregnant but I still would not remove it without a second opinion! Good luck to you and hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.